HOW TO KEEP THE LANDLORD OUT

nsmbfan

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say change the locks, but change them with the same brand lock. The only way he's gonna know is if he's going into your apartment and now his key doesn't work.

Then the conversation can go like this:

LANDLORD: Why did you change your locks?

TENANT: Why are you trying to get into my apartment when I'm not home?

I'm sure he'll say something stupid like he smelled smoke, but at least you'll know what's up.

You have to give the landlord a key if you change the locks.

Check your lease, see if it's allowed to change your locks, and unless you have a nazi anal-retentive landlord you should be okay.

I worked for a management company all summer and people changed their locks on us all the time, usually by themselves, sometimes for meth labs. In dire emergencies landlords can and will call the fire department to bust the door in (such as if you changed the lock and a pipe burst, destroying units under you) but in reality, your landlord doesn't care all that much about you.

I think how we tried to get keys back was tell people they couldn't get a pool pass, unless they gave us a copy of their key. If they were sub-letters and they hadn't given us a copy of their lease we revoked different priviledges. The more priviledges your landlord gives you in the first place the more he can threaten you with. We took away parking permits and towed people, and that made shit get UGLY.. i think my manager called the cops and the car owner ended up getting tazed 3 times and hauled in.

If you have permits or a pool or other stuff your landlord may say you can't use them/park/etc unless you give them your key. That's really the only risk you take. If you don't even have an assigned parking spot then I'd say fuck it, do it.

Here's the thing though: we really didn't (to my knowledge) snoop in people's shit. Promise. My office was so swamped with managing the various condominiums that we wouldn't have time to play Carmen Sandiego even if we wanted to. The only time that on-site engineers were sent into units was to fix stuff. HOWEVER.. if your pipe bursts or something like that and your landlord's contractors can't get in to fix the leak and you're out of town you could get your door broken into and then you're probably gonna be hit with the cost of repairing the water damage and the door damage (if your lease says so) and maybe if it's bad enough you could get evicted too.

TLDR: read your lease you could win or lose by doing this but ya sound kinda paranoid...

change your locks sir, and if your landlord goes in your apartment when your not there and you can prove it, and you live in a city thats in the top forty in america, chances are that there are lawyers who strictly work with tenants on landlords being fucklords that will work for free then send their bill to your landlord if they win.

and this is my 900th post, so thats there for you to think about also

Your landlord has no business coming into your apt when you're not home.

I'm pretty sure it's against the law, unless you signed some stupid lease that lets him do so.

As for the maintenance dude, I've told landlords in the past that it aint cool for anybody to let themselves in unless I'm home at the time and to just call me ahead of time to set up appointments for exterminators and maintenance and shit like that.

and yeah when i first moved in my spot, i was convinced the place was bugged with camera's and that i was being watched. i went inspected every cut,corner,inch, socket, just out of paranoia.i was also convinced he came in and took money.. but i have a terrible memory. i came close to calling him yelling "I KNOW YOU TOOK MY MONEY!".

Damn...

Meth is a hellofadrug?

Don't even read the lease, look up the local laws. They can put whatever they want into the lease, but if it's not legal then all it's good for is wiping up spilt beer.

Don't do this. ^^^

If you signed the lease, its a binding contract, unless the lease goes against the local laws. The law only enforces what is REASONABLE. So if it says "the landlord has the right to enter at any given time", they might enforce that. But if it says "All renters must cut off their balls after living in the apartment for a week", the law wouldn't enforce that because its unreasonable.

I would change the locks, its cheap and easy to install. Just let him know how it is when he asks about the lock change.

ok but you're saying if he walks in and happens to notice something on his own, while he's illegally in my place of residence, he can't go to the cops with it?

dude i hope that's the case. but i don't got the time for a courtroom of my peers to decide that for me.

Why would your landlord go to the cops if he finds something illegal?

He needs your money.

He won't get your money if you are locked up.

• 1 month later...
Ok, so maybe you can help me with my problem. I don't need the landlord from my apartments coming in when I'm not there - or the maintenence man for that matter.

I smoked a bowl and came up with this... see if you can improve upon it, or tell me if there's a better way without changing the locks.

doorproblem1.jpg

doorproblem2.jpg

doorproblem3.jpg

I'm trying this when I get home from work. Be sure to debunk it before then.

You ever thought about not being a broke arse loser and buying your own place?