this just wow's me

coffie crave 7

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/la-me-ocean2aug02,0,5274274,full.story

On a cloudless spring day, Moore waded up to his knees into the Los Angeles River in Long Beach wearing shorts, sandals and a white hard hat. He was tethered to a volunteer standing on the dry riverbank, in case he slipped on the slick concrete channel.

The Los Angeles River carries enough trash each year to fill the Rose Bowl two stories high, and despite efforts to corral some of it near the river mouth, most slips through to the ocean.

Moore adjusted a trawlnet to collect trash flowing downriver. At Moore's signal, a crane operator lifted the net out of the water. Volunteers swarmed around the trawlnet, extracted the contents and loaded them into more than a dozen jars.

The jars were filled with plastic pellets the size and shape of pills. They come in all colors and are the raw material for a vast array of plastic products, from trash bags to medical devices.

About 100 billion pounds of pellets are produced every year and shipped to Los Angeles and other manufacturing centers. Huge numbers are spilled on the ground and swept by rainfall into gutters; down storm drains, creeks and rivers; and into the ocean.

From his river sampling, Moore estimated that 236 million pellets washed down the Los Angeles and San Gabriel rivers in three days' time. Also known as "nurdles" or mermaid tears, they are the most widely seen plastic debris around the world. They have washed ashore as far away as Antarctica.

The pellets, like most types of plastic, are sponges for oily toxic chemicals that don't readily dissolve in water, such as the pesticide DDT and polychlorinated biphenyls, or PCBs. Some pellets have been found to contain concentrations of these pollutants 1 million times greater than the levels found in surrounding water.

As they absorb toxic chemicals, they become poison pills. Wildlife researchers have found the pellets, which resemble fish eggs, in the bellies of fish, sea turtles, seabirds and marine mammals.

Over time, plastic can break down into smaller and smaller pieces, eventually turning to powder and entering the ocean in microscopic fragments. Some plastic starts out as tiny particles, such as the abrasives in cleaning products that are washed down the sink, through sewage systems and out to sea.

The chemical components of plastics and common additives can harm animals and humans. Studies have linked the hormone-mimicking phthalates, used to soften plastic, to reduced testosterone and fertility in laboratory animals, and to subtle changes in the genitals of baby boys. Another additive, bisphenol A, used to make lightweight, heat-resistant baby bottles and microwave cookware, has been linked to prostate cancer.

intelligent_life.gif

the first link doesint work for me but shai's does so thanks on them.... i have heard of this, not exactly sure when but have.

Its hard for me to believe the media, its obviously biased from the beginning<----- my point said.

*dont get me wrong, im not sayin it cant be happening

Seeing as how I've been reading about this and similar problems for years from numerous sources, yeah. I also believe there's a planet called Saturn with rings around it even though I've never actually seen it up close.

I'm not going to go on a big environmental tangent here, mainly because we're at the point where there's very little that can be done. Imagine trying to dredge an area the size of Texas...or trying to explain to albatrosses that they might want to refrain from eating plastic.

You have a kid, you ought to be aware of the world that he's going to inherit someday after you're gone. Think about that for a minute.

dr-doolittle-2-800-75.jpg

We need to get alot of fishing nets to surround it, and then tighten up garbage island enough to make it solid.

Open up a plastic recycling mines, drop an international airport, maybe a broken beer bottle beach resort.

The general lack of vision for this opportunity is embarrasing.

We need to jump on that shit before China or fail.

I call bs on this. I meant theres an awful lot of plastic taken in. I know the birds are rather large and quite stupid but if it doesnt taste like food more than likely theyll spit it out. I mean if Im at the beach and I throw shells n shit at seagulls flying they usually grab it and drop it since it isnt food they consume. I must say beach seagulls eat a lot of shit but we dont see them dying?

Also I saw someone point out wind blowing that shit away. I agree that that could happen since it is a little island on the ocean, theres gotta be some strong wind here and there.

oh-no-global-warming.jpg

is it just me or does that look like a the polar bear is standing on top of a giant ice statue of a ram head.

oh and i used to run around the lower mountains of big bear/highland ca like it was my personal backyard growing up and i would come across pigeons and crows all the time that looked just like the pictures of those birds.

small birds eat a shit load of food and will gobble up anything and all their parents feed them

chris jordan is pretty well known.

his whole thing is garbage we produce in mass quantities.. i dont know if that much trash is actually in the birds belly, however its meant to show what we are doing...

all there ever is on channel 0 is BLACK or WHITE. unfortunately we ALL LIVE IN THE GREY AREA....

my guess is this hippie trash hating bird lover, found these birds with a tiny amount of plastic, then "artistically" filled up their boney carcasses to the point where it looks fake.

i mean honestly, i don't see a bird eating that much plastic and surviving long. but i'm not a bird scientist either.

fuckin DAO has a point - THE PICTURE IS STAGED - but the truth remains, plastic killed the bird. but not in any dramatic sort of way in which to invoke human companionship. so he added some legos and a my little pony, to make the ladies go "awwwwwwwww"

and if you fell for it, you're a pussy neo-conservative punk fag liberal. and you should be reading a book and sipping your latte instead of blogging your ideals.

What the fuck kind of retard bird eats 35 plastic bottle caps?

I call that natural selection. These mother fuckers are dumb.

agreed.

the point of this ENTIRE BIRD THING is that we, as a human civilization in the modern world, have the capability to create and destroy using the same technologies. it's our responsibility to know the difference, and how to control it.

but yea, Albatross doesn't even taste good... so what the fuck do i care?

pic taken directly out of my oceanography book for all you retards with downs syndrome that claim this to be staged

Hey retard...

all there ever is on channel 0 is BLACK or WHITE. unfortunately we ALL LIVE IN THE GREY AREA....

my guess is this hippie trash hating bird lover, found these birds with a tiny amount of plastic, then "artistically" filled up their boney carcasses to the point where it looks fake.

i mean honestly, i don't see a bird eating that much plastic and surviving long. but i'm not a bird scientist either.

fuckin DAO has a point - THE PICTURE IS STAGED - but the truth remains, plastic killed the bird. but not in any dramatic sort of way in which to invoke human companionship. so he added some legos and a my little pony, to make the ladies go "awwwwwwwww"

and if you fell for it, you're a pussy neo-conservative punk fag liberal. and you should be reading a book and sipping your latte instead of blogging your ideals.

Do you really not see a huge difference?

screencapture10.png

trashbird.jpg