Top 25 Crime of the Century

Smacky636

http://www.time.com/time/2007/crimes/?cnn=yes

TIME has put together its list of notorious crimes that might vie for that distinction. You may notice that there are no political assassinations on the list. Nor mass suicides or genocide. All of those are certainly terrible crimes and possibly even graver sins. But there is a degree of conscious orchestration to those acts. The Crime of the Century must strike at the most undefined and thus most vulnerable part of the soul: it must touch the messy unconscious, where all kinds of emotions meld into each other. Pity and envy are involved; desire and revulsion; fear and sometimes schadenfreude. And while each person has his or her own brew of emotions, we all recognize them. So our fascination with the crime becomes a populist mania: an obsession with the wreckage of the rich and famous, comeuppance for hubris, a communal grasping for a moral to a sordid tale. These horrible disruptions of ordinary life must be able to function as a way to order our most frightening thoughts, becoming cautions and lessons for the future.

Which of the 25 crimes we have selected will remain in the popular, perhaps even the artistic, imagination in the years to come? How will they be retold and with what kinds of lessons and cautions in mind? Here's our selection. How do you think they will fare?

Do you agree with the selection of "Top 25"? Do you feel somebody or some group was unfairly left out. Who's your Top 25? Would you rearrange the list? ETC....

I just stumbled across the article so I cannot comment directly on it reight away, I will chime in soon.

Discuss...

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How the fuck is a stolen painting one of the top 25 worst crimes of the century?

FAIL.

Dude, think about it... TIME Magazine is writing the article and La Gioconda, or the Mona Lisa is "perhaps the most famous and iconic painting in the world". Think of it as like Sabers LA River piece that everybody knows. Shit dude, Channel Zero got a LA River Piece Tribute when it got buffed. The painting is relevant to the audience that the magazine sells to just like the LA River Piece didn't get locked in Channel Zero when forums rules say to keep graff in the graff section...

DAO, i ask you to make a list for you piers then?

make a short list of non-predictable & non-lamerz for us, why dont you?? it'd be interesting to see what other people think is 'top 25' worthy.

who the fuck is gonna sit around and compile a list of the "top crimes"

who the fuck even keeps track of them. i mean, shits kool when you come across a dope heist story inna newspaper. but as far as remembering it, in multiples of 25 is retarded.

i ghost rode yer thread. never even clicked the link. how does that make you feel.

who the fuck is gonna sit around and compile a list of the "top crimes"

who the fuck even keeps track of them. i mean, shits kool when you come across a dope heist story inna newspaper. but as far as remembering it, in multiples of 25 is retarded.

i ghost rode yer thread. never even clicked the link. how does that make you feel.

indifferent, kinda like many people feel about you. Either way you are gonna tell me you can't come up with a small ass list of crimes throughout history. It's not hard, you dont even need an education to see the impact certain crimes have on people, you have the media to thank for reporting it. even thou their stories are 1/2 true if that. irregardless to that wormhole of bullshit.

if you can't think of 10 dope ass crimes throughout history, that pretty weak. ALL TIME CRIMES OF HISTORY is like blowing up fish in a barrel with 1/2 sticks of dynamite, anyone can do it....

:D

^Yeah what I was thinking.

Um, flying a plane into the twin towers should be up there for sure.

thank you for proving my point that it's really not that hard to exercise your brain and think.. propped

but with what you said, that is kinda fucked up. my guess is that 9/11 is still to close to the list date that it may come across as offensive to some people... just a thought

thank you for proving my point that it's really not that hard to exercise your brain and think.. propped

but with what you said, that is kinda fucked up. my guess is that 9/11 is still to close to the list date that it may come across as offensive to some people... just a thought

It's no more offensive than have your child raped and murdered by John Wayne Gacy.

I don't think that any crime that results in the death of an innocent person could be non offensive. Too close to the date? I'm not sure, it's been almost a decade (not that, that's supposed to make it easy on anyone who lost somebody they cared about).

But it says crimes of this Century, and that's a crime that was commited during the last one hundred years. If they're worring about being offensive, then they should have picked a different topic.

It's no more offensive than have your child raped and murdered by John Wayne Gacy.

I don't think that any crime that results in the death of an innocent person could be non offensive. Too close to the date? I'm not sure, it's been almost a decade (not that, that's supposed to make it easy on anyone who lost somebody they cared about).

But it says crimes of this Century, and that's a crime that was commited during the last one hundred years. If they're worring about being offensive, then they should have picked a different topic.

1. On Gacy, point taken.

2. Dude Jews still take the Holocaust to heart and it's been way longer than decade.

3. No arguement.

1. On Gacy, point taken.

2. Dude Jews still take the Holocaust to heart and it's been way longer than decade.

3. No arguement.

Number 2: Jews will never, ever, EVER get over the Holocaust.

They try to make Americans feel bad for the Holocaust, but I've never heard a Jew in my life thank America for it's involment, scarifice, and key role in putting an end to World War Two, taking Hilter out of power and putting an end to the Holocaust.

I know that we had other reasons for being there, but the fact is that with out all of the American blood that was shed overseas during World War Two, ther Holocaust would have gone on a little longer.

A little thanks would be nice.