How long did it take you to get where you are right now?

aeroteooper149

I've been sketching for about 7 years now, and it's taken me about that long to get the hang of lettering. I've been on 12oz learning about how the scene works for a few years now because my town only has a handful of writers, and most of them have shit style or are straight toys (who the fuck writes on the wall of a community art building?).

I'm pretty happy with my sketches,mostly because having to figure it out myself for the last 7 years, my style is a bit more internal than I think it would have been if I'd have learned in a scene.

• 2 weeks later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IM KING ALLCITY WORLD KING

No.. been doin' it since 05 but started it for real in 09. I live in Stockholm right now, which i belive has a respectful scene. 2 panels, 1 on the new steel C20 subway, the other was a surf-panel on the commuter. No yard is controlable here. I'm in a real famous but hated crew even thou i dont bomb that much anymore. My dick is so long that i have met the PMS's and half-cool buddy with a WUFCSDK guy. (i just wanted that out of my chest) i sketch right now, and try to pull some real arty shit in some H.O.F somewhere.. See ya somewhere

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Im 15 from Norway, been writin for 4 years now.. Got caught when i was 12 so i started just sketchin and picked up a can again this spring.. I wouldnt concider myself as a "toy" when it comes to style, but my biggest problem is that i cant find a name or style that i can stick with over time.. Right now i write "jus" and that works fine, but in 2 monhts im gonna get tired and switch name and style i guess so thats fucked up.. Theres so many styles to choose.. Sorry for my bad english ;)

• 1 month later...

Born and raised in Los Angeles California USA

Im 23, started when I was 12.

Out here in L.A. you got giant freeway systems and endless streets. The graff game is crowded but you kick your shit fresh and right and youll make a name for yourself.

Its been 11 years, and I can say the first 4 or 5 years you absorb the most knowledge and basics of graffiti. From learning about every type of marker invented. to different spray caps and types of paint. and also your local stores to rack them from.

I think as your grow older you keep learning and adapting to the graff game.

When your young you want to write on Everything thats on street level, As you grow older you notice rooftops and other spots that will run longer and take some climbing to pull off, which means the buff will have to climb to get to it. But end result is your shit will run longer if it takes some parkour type shit to get to it.

I started in a neighborhood street crew called 222nd crew for about 1 or 2 years, then moved on to other names. You will find a name that sticks, Usually the first 2 or 3 dont flow, be uniuqe and stay original and you will find a good name.

After about 3 years I found a name that stuck and have been writing ever since, I took a semi break 8 years in and started getting into glass etching and scribes. Just etching mirrors and leaving landmarks. But the spray paint will always find a way back into your hand...

To develop style it takes practice, an older head once told me if you do 3 sketch pieces a day on paper, your style and skill will develop at a faster pace.

Practice makes perfect.

• 1 month later...
i started when i was in 6th grade....now i am 43 years old and just starting to get good not great but good. i was never artistic but always tried my hardest. looking at others styles always help with new ideas and it didbt hurt to grow up during in the 80,s when trains were white canvases.awwwwww the good old days.

That's cringe-worthy.

Tag-banging since '08, started painting/sketching/piecing in '11. Been told enough times that I progress faster than most. Never be satisfied with your shit, always strive for improvement. Stay humble, your ego is not your amigo.