What are you doing RIGHT NOW.

tonysoprano

Reading this.

Trudeau on legalizing pot: Realistic promise or just blowing smoke?

Justin Trudeau has changed his position on marijuana and now wants to see the drug legalized.

Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau said Wednesday at a rally in Kelowna that he doesn't want to just decriminalize marijuana – he wants to legalize, tax and regulate it. Is there any chance Trudeau would follow through on this promise, or is he just blowing smoke to appeal to younger voters?

Thomas Bink: Call me a prude, but I've never been a fan of the idea of legalizing or decriminalizing drugs – we have enough social and health care problems with cigarettes and alcohol. And I honestly think most MPs, regardless of political stripe, feel the same way. Politicians make promises to get support and get into office, and that's all we're seeing here. It's a popular – but not very practical – opinion intended to get young, apathetic voters on the Trudeau bandwagon.

Andy Radia: I think it's a little from column A and a little from column B. I think in theory it's a great idea. It will have a lot of appeal in British Columbia – the pot capital of North America – and with young people across the country. But there are just to many logistical challenges for it to happen, at least in the near future. I had one U.S. immigration lawyer tell me to expect two- or three-hour waits at the border while every single car is checked over with a drug sniffing dog. There's also the issue driving under the influence of pot. Law enforcement has enough problems policing drinking drivers, how are they going to policing stoned drivers

Matthew Coutts: How cynical have we become? Suspecting a politician of promising something popular without the intention of following through. Sheesh. But seriously, Trudeau is already, presumably, the favourite for young voters. And unless I’m completely deaf on this, this legalization promise isn’t going to be the thing that suddenly makes apathetic youngsters get off their butts. I’ve read a few of Trudeau’s past comments and I think he’s personally conflicted about pot decriminalization. Which makes me think he’s serious about this plan to legalize and tax it. Keep it out of the hands of kids and make some bank on the side. Besides, if the Liberals do win the next election (and that’s a big, dubious if), it will take longer to tear down all the Tory’s Economic Action Plan propaganda billboards than it will to iron out the kinks that come from legalizing pot.

Radia: I think it will be a ballot box question for some – especially in British Columbia. I don't expect the 1.8 million youth who didn't vote in 2011 to rush to the polls based on this issue, but it will help. I'm glad, however, that for the first time a major party leader has put this out there, because it's an idea that needs to be discussed. I don't know if legalization is the answer – or is even possible – but the current system of prohibition of marijuana isn't working. The current laws have led to high rates of gang violence and huge expenses associated with growing enforcement costs and expensive legal proceedings. I hope Trudeau is sincere about making changes.

Coutts: Sure, I suppose the debate is where Trudeau hopes to score points, especially in B.C. But if he’s taking a hard line like this, he must be ready to push the issue. I agree with what Tom said earlier, most MPs are probably pretty conservative on this issue, regardless of political stripe. He’s not going to rattle cages like this for a quick headline. And as for the actual process of legalizing it, let’s remember that alcohol was prohibited once. And they are making legal weed work in Colorado and Washington.

Bink: I think both of you have been sampling a bit of the wacky weed yourselves. This is a bad idea that will make soft conservatives dig in even harder against Trudeau. And as for the idea that regulating legal pot is the answer for keeping it out of the hands of kids? You've got to be kidding.

35jyv60.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Not sure. I know the quality of chronic available would go up but the taxes would likely double or tripple the current prices. 10 years ago a pack of smokes was about $3 since then taxes have raised the price to $11+ thus creating a big illegal cigarette market of terrible quality cigs. Knowing your bud was grown under strict health regulations, mould & pesticide free would be a nice bonus but at $30 per gram I'm undecided.

Not sure. I know the quality of chronic available would go up but the taxes would likely double or tripple the current prices. 10 years ago a pack of smokes was about $3 since then taxes have raised the price to $11+ thus creating a big illegal cigarette market of terrible quality cigs. Knowing your bud was grown under strict health regulations, mould & pesticide free would be a nice bonus but at $30 per gram I'm undecided.

Quite the quandry.

Chappelle show marathon.