Parental Leniency: How Far Is Not Enough?

Chubbs

Must be a cultral difference really because people that hit kids are scum,.

No, wait, I didn't realize there was an actual debate in here. Until I was 5 I got spanked by my dad, open hand swats on my ass. Until I was 10 I feared the wrath of SPOON from my mom:

wooden-spoon.png

I won't deny all the studies that claim corporal punishment is detrimental to kids but, even after my my mom quit, school was all about 3 licks from "the BO'AD"

paddle.jpg

The spoon had made me spiritually impervious but that doesn't mean it didn't hurt. In Middle School there was only one fast food place in town, conveniently located right by the school. Coach would judge kids the day before and after calesthenics he would announce the kids who got to go down to Hardees (famous for their biscuits) with him... this was only a euphamism for going to get a whipping in the field house... He was gonna "warm your buns"... in our defense, among my generation, he is forever known as "Crotch Ellis", but he is also looked upon with love and admiration, I dunno, Stockholm syndrome? This stuff went on through High School, I took 3 for smoking in the bathroom, 3 for cutting class, 3 for "Throwing Missles At Other Students" (I saved tha particular refferal)... it went on and on. Now I'm a lazy drunk bastard who sometimes sends missives to publishers who in turn send me a check... I think it worked out but I could use more checks.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea I always wondered about punishments at school because it is illegal nowadays to hit kids at school, and I have seen teachers literally fall apart because they can't control the kids.

It is swings and roundabouts though I have seen kids misbehaving before and thought damn that kid needs a fucking slap however if that behaviour had been sorted before all control had been lost then maybe they wouldn't be misbehaving in that way.

Generally those kids are teenagers though

no, DAO, see, what he's saying is, if you raise them properly from the get-go (by properly i mean in a way that doesn't involve acting like trash & beating em), they probably WON'T "act like little shit heads" or try to "do whatever they want." in other words, if the kids' behavior even gets to the point where you feel the "need" to hit them, you've fucked up somewhere along the line. it's pretty simple, really, unless you're a lazy turd or cognitivelly impaired. kinda makes me sad you're a parent.

No, jackass, see, spanking your kids is part of raising them properly. It's in their nature to act up and to test you to see what they can get away with.

You obviously don't even have kids, and hopefully never do.

We already have enough little shitheads running around acting up in stores while their faggot ass parents try to ask them nicely to stop.

well everyone has an opinion which is fair enough, but fear doesn't equal respect

my wife was beat as a child and first chance she had she left and has never seen her family since

there is a difference between disciplining your child from time to time and abusing your child.can you describe what the beatings were like.becuase what i am talking about and the rest of us too is open handed or maybe a belt which isnt that serious of punishment.im just curious on how you mean beat as a child when refering to your wife decy...

weather you spank, slap, punch or push yer kids into dicsiplin.

dont do that shit in public. not only are you humiliating your kid aswell as yourself, beleive it or not.

but aint nobody wanna hear or see that shit. no respect.

handle yer shit behind closed doors, that way department store shananagins aint happenin anyways.

i dont got no kids but if i ever do the last thing imma be doin in public with them is makin a fool out us both. kids gettin yanked the fuck out the store weather hes kickin, screamin or stabbin.

then he'll get his at home. NOT in public.

My mom would say "wait till we get home", and the fear of that ass whoopin would straighten me out quick.

well basically for any kinda stepping out she would get hit, or even if her dad couldnt be bothered to deal with her, so that is more abusive than discipline so yea it is way down the other end of the scale.

But I still stand by the not hitting a child, OK if you resort to it because you can't control your child then that is up to you however for me I don't have a problem with telling off, taking away of luxuries like TV, DS seeing friends or being allowed toys. I think it is better than a child learns that by not behaving there are consequences. If you just hit a child they just learn not to get caught. You say hitting by a belt or something isn't serious to me that is serious. To hit a child with a belt, to me, is abuse.

Say my son is playing up I just have to tell him that if that behaviour continues I will take X or Y away and he won't have them for a week then he snaps straight back into line. It works for me, might not for other people. He knows he gets rewarded for good behaviour and if there is bad behaviour there are consequences. I find if he has been good I will say ok when payday comes you can have this, then between that time and payday I just say fine if you misbehave then you wont get the toy on payday.

He is a very good boy in general and I don't have problems with his behaviour at all.

I Wsa beat all the damn time when I was coming up, and it never taught me to not do bad things...it taught me to not get caught doing bad things.

My family has never spanked my niece and she has never once thrown a tantrum in a store.

She also never really does anything bad or talks back, and on the rare chance she will..we sit her down and talk to her about what she is doing.

Making a little kid sit and talk things out for 15 minutes and be bored is worse punishment than spanking them.

On the other side of things, my niece has a cousin that is one week younger than she is...he gets spanked all the time.

He also acts like a little shithead and doesn't listen to anyone.

Does spanking him ever make him act better? Never.

He still does the same shit and still gets spanked over and over for doing the same thing.

Little girl never gets spanked because she doesn't act up.

Little boy would be 1000 times worse if he never got spanked.

And you were just born to be a fuck up.

Wait... I thought you said your moms was wheelchair bound and your pops was dead? How's she gonna catch you to give you a whoopin if she's in a wheelchair? I'm calling shenanigans.

the way i see it decyferon theres nothing wrong with your way of parenting if it works.its just a differing in philosophy..i grew up in texas and my family is all from texas and mississippi and indiana so in those places its normal to hit kids.not beat them or anything but just everyonce in a while when they act up.its always been like that and will be lke that for trhe forseeable future imo.and it works down here.kids mind their parents down here.i think you just need to be proactive and tough.some do that by takig away shit others spank.when i was growing up i was very poor and didnt really have toys to take away.i played with sticks and shit and climbed trees so their wasnt much they could take away from me so in my cass yelling didnt work becuase i would just blow them off and continue to be a lil badass so my mom figured she just whip my ass.and it worked.she didnt hit me whenever just for the fuck of it she did it when i screwed up.granted she did go voer the line occasionally but i was a little badass so in hindsight it was probably justified.

my stance on the issue is raise your kids how ever you want to raise your kids.if your into disciplining with the belt or the switch then go for it but dont hurt them and if your into taking shit away then do it.unfortunatly for some of us like me the latter doesnt play out becuase i didnt have anything to take away in the first place lol.

Some kids are just better behaved and dont fuck around. Some are just rotten to the core. Sometimes you can tell them to behave and they listen, other times they mock you and then their dad sprints down the sidewalk full speed and before I had a chance to turn around he had me by the back of the neck and was FUCKING DONEEEEEEEE.

Uhhh, I mean..

You say hitting by a belt or something isn't serious to me that is serious. To hit a child with a belt, to me, is abuse.

Are you kidding me? I got hit with everything but the kitchen sink as a child. When I got older, I got hit with the sink too

I can't even IMAGINE what I would have been like as a kid if I wasn't scared of my parents fucking me up.

Also, if you don't hit your kids EVER how are they gunna learn to take a punch like a man? I pretty much can't be hit hard enough to knock me down because of the beatings my parents gave me...generation of soft ass fucking pussies getting raised these days.

Like I said I fight with my son all the time, and believe me he is by no means gonna be a soft kid he has a hell of a punch on him and can take a lot when we fight, he is also gonna be starting martial arts as well (not that I give 2 shits about martial arts but my wife likes that shit)

There are other ways to raise a tough kid without beating them as punishment