the wire appreciation thread

yonis

i remmember often seeing BONER throws on The Wire.

Started watching The Corner. Made by the same people before they made The Wire. It's based on the non-fiction book of the same title, which was very interesting.

I liked that on The Wire they had a lot of low key guest appearance characters and actors from other shows, and also from the real life people that The Corner was based on.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 4 weeks later...
Snoop did time for murder when she was younger, the guy who plays Omar pulled her out of a club. I know Slim Charles was a thug in DC when he was younger, gun charges or something like that

Alot of people who makes cameos are oldhead dealers/stickup kids from Baltimore who the creator knows. Omar's boy who helps him go after Marlo is one who comes to mind

im jumping ahead here, i wanna read thru every page in this before i contribute,

but i just wanted to say that the minister, the slim soft spoken guy who kept schoolin

bunny colvin, was, in real life, a major heroin trafficker who was locked up by the cop who

created the show, back in the 80's or 70's or some shit. when he got out he bing, that

same cop asked him if he wanted a job on the new series he was doing.

ite, im continue reading, then ill be back w/ more...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow. Just watched the final episode.

I can't believe they made the scrubby computer smart corner kid become a junkie in the end. Out of all the characters in the entire series he's the only one who had a mindset of constant improvement without harming or deceiving others.

That is the saddest story in the whole series.

• 3 months later...

you're all entitled to your opinion but for me,the only thing more painful to watch on tv is oz.

these shows are wicked lame.their trying to make a soap opera outta some shit that just isnt..

both shows=mad corny

but i know none of you care about my opinion so tits shall be posterfied.

imagebe9a4d09f004juw3a.jpg

you're all entitled to your opinion but for me,the only thing more painful to watch on tv is oz.

these shows are wicked lame.their trying to make a soap opera outta some shit that just isnt..

both shows=mad corny

but i know none of you care about my opinion so tits shall be posterfied.

imagebe9a4d09f004juw3a.jpg

And just what do you think is a good TV program?

breakout.national geographic channel.

some of the things these inmates do to escape is awe inspiring.some dude by removing the cinderblocks in his cell and tunneling out of a jail.he was able to hide his digging by filling up the cracks with plaster he made with toothpaste,talcum powder and jolly rachers.he was able to use the coloring from the jolly ranchers to match the paint of the walls that no one noticed even after months of working at the wall.

much more entertaining.but again,whatever your into.

if you want to watch something about the streetlife,watch the first 48.it gives you a real inside look at how dumb and unglamorous real drug dealers are...

i would also like to point out that this thread reminds me strongly of this..

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/03/09/85-the-wire/

take this how you want to.

this show is just to overdramatic.i was hoping that is was gonna be like belly or shottas,but it wasnt and i was deeply disappointed.

needs less drama,more mindless violence and naked bitches.

Seems weird to me to question the authenticity of The Wire, when the shows creators, writers, and even some actors were involved in major cases much like the show is based around. It's definitely not a documentary, but if you think drug networks aren't like big corporations and aren't run by extremely sophisticated criminals, I don't know what to tell you.

Barksdale and Marlo aren't supposed to be like the retards on First 48

could you please give some more details on the cases and the people who were involved with them?

"Simon has stated that he originally set out to create a police drama loosely based on the experiences of his writing partner Ed Burns, a former homicide detective. Burns, when working on protracted investigations of violent drug dealers using surveillance technology, had often been frustrated by the bureaucracy of the Baltimore police department; Simon saw similarities with his own ordeals as a police reporter for The Baltimore Sun."

The guy who plays The Deacon:

"Melvin Williams was actively involved with drug trafficking throughout the 1970s and early 1980s. During that time Williams was periodically arrested on minor charges. In the early 1980s federal agents along with the Baltimore Police Department launched an investigation into his activities. One of the investigators working on the case was Ed Burns. On December 6, 1984 Williams was arrested on cocaine trafficking charges. On February 7, 1985, he was convicted and sentenced to 34 years in prison. He served part of his sentence in the Lewisburg Federal Penitentiary. In May 1987, the Internal Revenue Service assessed taxes in the amount of $425,055 and seized the Williams home. While still in prison his life story was featured in a series of articles written by future The Wire creator David Simon. "Easy Money: Anatomy of a Drug Empire" a series of five articles was published in the Baltimore Sun in 1987. Williams was released on parole in 1996.

In March 1999 he pistol whipped a man over a $500 debt. Williams, who at the time was on parole and had an extensive criminal record, was sentenced to 22 years in prison in December 2000 after one mistrial. However his sentence was reduced by the same judge who imposed the original 22 year term. He was released from prison in September 2003."

Snoop also did time for murder, as well as Omar's boy Donnie having been a major, real life stick up kid

isn't a DRAMA supposed to be dramaticized, I'm just not really understanding your argument here but it's whatever...like you said it comes down to personal taste.

could you please give some more details on the cases and the people who were involved with them?

the-wire.html?curPhoto=2

Melvin Williams

Melvin Williams, who played the deacon on The Wire was once a powerful Baltimore drug kingpin. Known as "Little Melvin" in certain circles, Williams was sent to federal prison in the 1980's for orchestrating a large-scale drug trade enterprise in Baltimore. Towards the end of his sentence, Williams found a new lease on life through religion. After his release, Williams was sent back to prison in 2000 for a gun conviction, but was released in 2003. He is currently on parole and cannot go further than 40 miles from Baltimore without special permission.

the-wire.html?curPhoto=3

Anwan Glover

On The Wire, Anwan Glover played gun-wielding henchman Slim Charles. In real life, "Big G" Glover is a celebrity in the Washington, DC Go-go music scene, best known as one of the founding members of the Backyard Band. In 2004 Glover came uncomfortably close to losing his career when he was charged with gun possession for carrying a 9mm Smith & Wesson. Glover received a suspended sentence and unsupervised probation, a lucky break that allowed him to continue pursuing a future in acting.

the-wire.html?curPhoto=4

Felicia Pearson

Pearson was born to two incarcerated drug addicts and raised in an East Baltimore foster home. Born premature and weighing only three pounds, she was not expected to live. She was so small she was fed with an eyedropper until she could be fed normally.

Instead of attending school, Pearson worked as a drug dealer. At the age of 14, she was convicted of second-degree murder in the shooting death of a girl named Okia Toomer and sentenced to two eight year terms, to be served consecutively, at the Maryland Correctional Institution for Women in Jessup, Maryland.[1] She was released after 6.5 years. Pearson said her life turned around at the age of 18 when Arnold Loney, a local drug dealer who looked out for her and sent her money in prison, was shot and killed. It was he who had given her the nickname Snoop because she reminded him of Charlie Brown's beagle Snoopy in the comic strip Peanuts. While in prison, she earned her GED and was released in 2000. She landed a local job fabricating car bumpers, she says, but was fired after only two weeks when her employer learned she had a prison record. In 2009, Pearson was given an Honorary University of Toledo College of Law Juris Doctorate.

Felicia "Snoop" Pearson was arrested for drug possession in August 2008. Police arrived at Pearson's house on a warrant to pick her up for refusing to cooperate as a witness in the murder trial of Steven Lashley, who authorities say Pearson witnessed stabbing another man. Upon entering her house, officers discovered suspected marijuana. Pearson, who played a cold-blooded killer by the same name on The Wire, was charged with one count of drug possession.

there's some more here - http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/photogallery/the-wire.html