the wire appreciation thread

yonis

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

BBC did a list of the 100 best tv series of 21st century ——— The Wire listed as #1

I need a rewatch. Been years. I got rid of my box set in a move a few years ago and regret it

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20211015-why-the-wire-is-the-greatest-tv-series-of-the-21st-century

police major Howard "Bunny" Colvin, played by Robert Wisdom. Colvin is an experienced cop dismayed by how the focus on arrests and seizures of illegal drugs is creating a generation of police officers who have forgotten how to solve crimes. Colvin explains this to young sergeant Ellis Carver (Seth Gilliam), noting that Carver has no sources in the neighbourhoods he's working in to tell him what's really happening there. Instead, Carver and his compatriots act like an invading army, rolling into the area, arresting a bunch of young men, and rolling out again.

"You call something a war, and pretty soon, everybody going to be acting like warriors," Colvin tells Carver. "And when you're at war, you need a fuckin' enemy. And pretty soon, damn near everybody on every corner is your fuckin' enemy. And the neighbourhood you're supposed to be policing, that's just occupied territory."

Ultimately though, The Wire has earned its place as the greatest show of the 21st Century because there is no modern TV series that has better captured all the various ills hobbling the American experiment today, from ineffective politicians to toxic policing, vanishing labour markets, poverty-stricken neighbourhoods and systemic racism.

It presented a vision of a community so hamstrung by issues, it's unable to fully recognise its problems, much less address them. Which sounds an awful lot like America today.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

Have never seen in full 🤦🏽‍♂️  Definitely been on my list to watch the right bingey way once and for all. 

If you’ve never seen it before it might be worth to just get the hbo streaming service for a couple months then cancel. I checked the box sets and they are still like $100. I think hbo Mac is $9. then you got sopranos on there too

6 minutes ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

If you’ve never seen it before it might be worth to just get the hbo streaming service for a couple months then cancel. I checked the box sets and they are still like $100. I think hbo Mac is $9. then you got sopranos on there too

I got all that shit breh. So many random gifted passwords Idfk which ones I have anymore lol.