so...

armand hammer

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Here is my experience, get shit job, work ass off even though the pay is shit, get recognized as hard worker by others, get invited into better jobs, work ass off there and repeat and profit.

thats how i always got jobs...

armand. i am doing the same thing. well, not really, cause i'm not in art school, i'm in "real" school, but it's pretty phony too. i dunno. i've been asked a few times (mostly by parents/family.. can't front) why i'm "not a real artist if you know so much about colors and combos and beauty?"

i don't know a lot about colors, i reply. matter of fact, i'm colorblind, but thanks. i should be saying "you ever met a 'real' artist? you have? how can you stand them?" but i'm nice cause they're my family and still sometimes send me checks for christmas. maintain ends.

i see where you're coming from. i can't fucking stand business but i'm getting a business degree anyway, mainly cause i can't afford college and will have 6 figure debts to pay off once i graduate. it would be awesome to do what i want (being payed to drink beer and hit golf balls in space, or drive trains) but sometimes reality takes precedent.

hopefully grad school is gonna be my chance to do something i want.

i'm also minoring in something i'm interested in but that's another story entirely.

TL;DR:

do what you want now but keep your future in mind...

So are you studying to be an artist? What do you want to do with yourself when you ge.....

ima read through this in a sec and im not studying to be an artists i just thought i may as well get some free grades for painting all day.. the course im doing is mainly art and shit but at the end it counts as 4 a levels wich would make finding a job a lot easier seeing as what is put down on a document makes who you are nowadays.

im not paying for college its free so that whole thing should be cleared up. the mustache was starting as i havent shaved for a while and thought id do it when i finaly get back home some day. this is not an art school once again it is a local college thats free and teaches many other things science engineering etc . as for shit jobs i just got one today stacking shelves . im just giving up now gay thread i done do apologise master.

Academics need their false idols, having them acknowledge real immortals isn't important at all and I prefer it that way.

That's one reason I say fuck an art school, even if you want to do canvases the only thing you'll learn in any art school

is how that degree you worked so hard to earn isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Drop out, do art if that's what you want, besides, the only classes worth a damn there are the ones you are complaining about.

I agree with you here. The only thing a degree is good for in most cases is so you can get a piece of paper that states "I went through the bullshit and I can jump through some hoops, please hire me." But if you're a fine artist, what does that degree get you?

I never did college or anything like that just did my GCSEs and have worked ever since, doing office stuff and that sort of bullshit, people always say well you love painting and drawing why not try and get a job doing that, and I always say the same thing I draw for myself no one else, if I was working in, say design, I owuld have to design shit I didn't want to do.

I prefer working a job I have no interest in but pays my bills then use my own time to draw or paint whatever I want to do not what someone else dictates I should do.

Also, with the job market how it is your better of having experience in a job rather than a degree, I will always come out on top of someone university educated because the time they were in Uni I was getting real life job experience

Also, with the job market how it is your better of having experience in a job rather than a degree, I will always come out on top of someone university educated because the time they were in Uni I was getting real life job experience

this is 100% true. real jobs and references take you further than college... college gets you in the door in some places though

the entire educational system and tight jean wearing leather jacket gelled up hair faggot art industry can pull down my pants play with my balls and slide my dick down its throat while i shit on a giant metal rabbit and burn a paper mache egg man.

careful my friend, some performance artist might make a literal translation of that and become famous.

I would go to art school for a year to learn some skills but I wouldn't bother with a degree. I only know a handful of people who finished art school and went somewhere with it, the rest of them are waiting tables, messengering or working retail.

i think i had a much different art school experience.

i opted not to focus in the field i was initially interested in which is painting because people told me they would make me use nothing but oils and i wouldnt be able to use white and black anymore, that was completely accurate so i focused in printmaking and sculpture. in doing so you get a broader experience using tons of exposure to different mediums and artist references. for example, in a sculpture class i was referenced the artist elizabeth murray who lays out and designs crazy relief stretchers in all types of custom shapes and sizes for her paintings.

saltz10-25-2.jpg

i have some pictures of what i did afterwards but it was old and pretty shitty artfaggy piece.

anyway im high and rambling ill get to the point.

if you want to be an artist you might as well get used to being broke and get better people skills because as earl stated you need to schmooze with every last motherfucker you come into contact with.

i go to every show i can and in doing so know a ton of people i probably would never have had interest talking to just because it is god for business.

also its not true you have to paint what other people want and youll be miserable, you just have to be an animal at what you do, or good at convincing people to trust you and youll get over nearly everytime, im doing a live mural at a lexus event to morrow night and all i have to do is stick a logo in there somewhere small and i get paid to paint whatever else i want.

Getting a decent job w/o a degree = possible

Getting a decent corporate job w/o a degree = good luck with that

Getting promoted into management/executive positions, and expect to get paid more w/o a MBA(or other graduate degree) = you're fucked

that may be true in the US but most places I have worked people have gone up through the levels of jobs, and these are all corporate places, major insurers etc

most of the lower entry positions are filled with people with degrees because they have fuck all actual experience and no matter how many book smarts you have it doesn't come close to experience and learning the business on your way up

oh and you have to read a fucking ton or art history so you dont look like a poser artfag when people start talking all that jargon

I honestly know next to nothing about art history. So it was kind of funny when people would ask me all these deep questions about my work at shows and I'd say something like "I'm sorry, I really can't answer that...I just like to draw and paint."

• Like 1