Life After Highschool

Swindle

Honestly, University will open a lot of doors for you. Even if you don't graduate you will meet a lot of people who, if you're not a shithead, are pretty willing to give you a leg up (nh).

University culture here is pretty spew worthy, with all the student unions and clubs and shit, but just put on a brave face and act interested then pounce on them with a few favor requests. You'll be surprised.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I graduated High School in 05, started University in 06, and after defering a couple of times and working numerous shitty part time jobs I will finally graduate with my degree mid 2010. If I said i enjoyed the course I am studying I would be lying, but I feel if I throw it in so close to the end I will regret it in the future. Finding time to paint between part time work, University, and smoking can be hard, especially during exams.

I am 22 years old now and I have only travelled internationally once. Me and a few mates went to Mexico and the US for just over a month and it was by far the best thing I have ever done. Now all I can think about when I'm at work or in class is my next trip.

Anyway, if I could go back to 05 I would defer University immediately, not after attending a few classes and realising how shit it is, and I would then take the pissy amount of money I had in the bank at the time and spend it on a ticket to anywhere. It's not that I don't like living in Melbourne, but there is so much to be learnt from travelling.

• Like 1

After high school i did nothing for years, just lived on the dole, fucked girls, drank too much and painted. .

did you smoke buegs too? matter of fact i think i know you :lol:

Jisoe.(2005).DVDRIP.XViD.%5BsAzER%5D%5B(049806)13-21-20%5D.JPG

just kidding man, sounds chill as fuck

/edit. i appreciate all the responses. if i dont acknowledge every single one dont think i dont appreciate them.

i ruined my highschool experience. regrettably i smoked weed every morning and afternoon of my final year and pissed off a shit load of people...one thing i have learned since then i regret, i wish i had have made more of my final years at school.

now im in first year of uni, failed science hard first semester, dropped into journalism and now i can smoke every day and basically go out when i want and still get my work done.

my advice, do an arts degree, too fucking easy.

yeah man. he's still around. couple of mates saw him the other day.

(to losingmymind)

i don't really smoke weed that much so i think ill be right there. im keen to just improve, learn some skills and experiment so an arts degree sounds good, even if it is a bit cliche or whatever

after highschool i:

• took a month off and went back to school

• quit my job at a pizza place

• acquired a job in the school mail room

• quit that job

• got a job doing what i want to do

• gained 50 pounds

i'm graduating college in 2 months.

---

all the talk about not being able to go to college for whatever reasons, are excuses. if you truly want to do it, you will do it. there are plenty of ways to get money/books/shit for college, you just aren't looking hard enough. i didn't have any money for college and ended up going to a pretty expensive school.

if i could change anything about life after high school, i would have taken all my ge's at a community college.

p.s. if you don't know what you want to do for the rest of your life, don't jump completely into something you are 'kind of' interested in. it will be a waste of a shitload of money that you have to pay back.

p.p.s. don't go into graphic design. half of the kids drop out because they don't like it anymore and another quarter end up working in a cubicle or in restaurants. out of college, there are no jobs and the clients that you do pick up are retards.

K9000 makes a good point there... I know a lot of people who went to college straight from high school, and spent a ton of money studying something they thought they were interested in only to find that within a couple of years of graduation, they were bored or miserable.

If you are interested in going to school right away, find a cheap state school or community college in a place you think will be interesting to live in for a year or two, and just bang out those gen ed classes. You can balance them with some fun electives (it can be a great opportunity to try new art disciplines/ techniques without having to invest in all of the supplies/ equipment), but get that other shit out of the way somewhere cheap. Then, once you've had some time to try out some things and get a little "real world experience", you can pick a major and find a better/more expensive school that specializes in what you want to learn.

I really wish someone had given me this advice ten years ago.

Guest JohnLester#31

^Literally the story of my past year and a half.

After highschool, went straight to college.

Now taking a year off cause I'm broke.

Being broke at times can be lifes best safety (besides minor bills), something I've come to understand.

Not having money for some time allowed me to build some serious character as a person; dealing with society, and life situations thrown at me. I'm a completely different person mentally from last year.

K9000 makes a good point there... I know a lot of people who went to college straight from high school, and spent a ton of money studying something they thought they were interested in only to find that within a couple of years of graduation, they were bored or miserable.

i see waaaaaay too often.

on an unrelated note, two of my co-workers got the shaft two weeks ago. both have been working at the place for 3-4 years. one is a student and will probably be ok and the other took a few design classes at a community college and is probably hurting for a job right now.

go to school and don't worry about being 30 and still struggling.

all the talk about not being able to go to college for whatever reasons, are excuses. if you truly want to do it, you will do it. there are plenty of ways to get money/books/shit for college, you just aren't looking hard enough.

over here when you finish school you take exams and they add up your score from classes and exams and you get an ENTER score. (it stands for something but i can't remember it)

the ENTER is out of 100. 80+ is pretty good. 60-79 is average. anything under 50 and you just forget about even including that shit on your resume.

my the classes i want are all 75+ requisites. im theory i should be able to get into the 80s but i have a feeling i will fuck up the exams or something. so its really up to that. i have no problem with stealing books for college or anything like that, its my skill level that is the problem. also, art subjects get "scaled down" meaning if i get an A, and so does the majority of the state then my A might become a B+ or a B.

I went to college the year after I graduated, a 4-year state university. I got a degree in graphic design.

What do I use it for? not much. I make my money bartending.

I still keep my Adobe Creative Suite software updated, and I still get contracts for design work here in NYC. I just store it away in my portfolio, and maybe one day I'll be motivated to pursue grad school.

At the end of the day, I'm still paying off student loans, so I can't say I'm entirely satisfied with my rush into college right after high school. Maybe if I worked full time in a job that relates to my degree things would be different.

I think that the USA 'grad school' that everyone talks about is like TAFE here. I don't know, really, but I think you should live a little more before deciding on what you would like to do with yourself. At 18, I had no idea, started studying, changed majors to Info Systems, wasted a year doing that to find out I hated it, accrued more debt, then did shitkicker jobs (instead of travelling) before waking the fuck up to myself and going back to school.

Oh and if you decide to go to school, make sure you get some ADD meds so you can flip them to your fellow students to make a little coin on the side, you know those exams are killer without them, hahah. But anyway, I still say, get into the bar/hospitality industry for a while and travel!

I go to community college, work like 4 times a week. Go live in my girls dorm in the countryside for weeks at a time...free food, sex, parties etc. Also when i had my own crib i would let all my boys crash there for long periods of time no matter the circumstance. Now whenever i couch surf i have mad spots

you'd assume the sex would be free if your staying with your girl :lol:

if i travelled id be trying to couch surf as much as possible or stay somewhere real cheap.

is that too rude? to try and couch surf everywhere?

after high school i went to a lame college and started sellin 20s and 40s....now 5 years later shit got a little more serious...got a degree but no legal paper...everythings under the table....fuck a degree i wont even use this shit even though i already got a mortgage and two whips......im thinkin about maybe tryin to teach in inner city schools but i make more money off trees so whats the fuckin point??