Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Drue_Down

FUCK YEAH!! ABC is bringing back V (remake)

Why is ABC bringing this back when it was originally on NBC?

I liked this when I was a kid, then I saw it again when the box set came out and realized it didn't age as well as I thought it would. The story it's based on is pretty good, though.

There was a new book in 2008, are you sure this is a remake and not an update? (The ABC link doesn't really elaborate.)

cant be worse than the new knight rider

Every time I say that comparing remakes, I'm always proven wrong.

The problem I had with V the second time around is that in the meantime I had read the book, and compared to that it just seems like a alien invasion soap opera. Granted, when you're nine years old you don't pick up on these things.

One thing I will give the original is that the makeup and special effects were pretty damn good, considering it was a miniseries.

CRAP - link fail:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_(science_fiction)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_(The_Original_Miniseries)

are you sure this is a remake and not an update? (The ABC link doesn't really elaborate.)

There are two promos on the abc site, just let the video keep playing to see second promo. It seems pretty close to original plot. Reptilians planning to eat us and take r jubs.

they%20took%20er%20jobs.jpg

• Like 1

I liked this when I was a kid, then I saw it again when the box set came out and realized it didn't age as well as I thought it would.

Same here. I used to watch this shit every week, then play V with my action figures. It definitely is cheesy 80's all the way, but what do you expect? It was on at the same time as A-Team and Hunter. The standard was pretty fucking low back then.

I just saw the preview for the new series. It looks good, but I hope they don't cornball it out like they did Heroes. This would have made for a better movie series in my opinion.

The standard was pretty fucking low back then.

And it's higher now?

I've seen a couple decent shows slip through in the past few years ("Jericho" and "Heroes" come to mind). I know it sounds cliched but I really did grew out of TV a long time ago.

Same here. The production quality has grown a lot since then, but that's mostly due to technology. Content wise, I don't know? I guess if you take all the modern make up and hair away, Law and Order is just as bad as Hunter when it comes to direction and dialog. So maybe I am wrong? I just think with the way the media handles certain things now, V could be done right.

I thought Heroes was a good show during the 1st season, but after that it dwindled down fast.

I was never really into V, I liked the makeup and the novelty of seeing Robert Englund in a role other than Freddy Krueger but I only saw like 3 episodes. I did, however, use V as a vehicle to write a song making fun of a kid at school. He really did resemble the aliens, eventually he moved to Guam and my family moved into his house.

Mostly, I'm looking forward to the remake of Hawaii 5-0, which will probably suck. Mostly.

^^^

Don't lie, you are hoping for the remake of Hart to Hart

NINJAPLEEZE! Why would I lie? What possible reason? Where would be the future in THAT frontin'? How could I deny that I have mentioned that show at least 5 times in the last month. This, quickly followed by how I was hot for Robt. Wagner's wife... and Julie from Loveboat (PLEASE! NO NEW LOVE BOAT!)... and the girlfriend from Charles in Charge.

NINJAPLEEZE! Why would I lie? What possible reason? Where would be the future in THAT frontin'? How could I deny that I have mentioned that show at least 5 times in the last month. This, quickly followed by how I was hot for Robt. Wagner's wife... and Julie from Loveboat (PLEASE! NO NEW LOVE BOAT!)... and the girlfriend from Charles in Charge.

I can't remember anything about half of the shows you're talking about (besides the titles) and we're about the same age.

Come to think of it, why do any of these old shows and movies have to be redone at all? (Brace yourself, I'm about to make some bad comparisons.) I don't see musicians running out to remake "Sergeant Pepper's" or "Led Zeppelin 4" or painters lining up to redo Van Gogh's "Starry Night" but maybe that's just around the corner.

It's not that I particularly care about TV programs or consider them high art but it's the attitude that somehow these shows were somehow deficient or lacking the first time around and need to be redone. And more often than not, the remakes are garbage made by people who just don't seem to be very good artists.

the remakes are garbage made by people who just don't seem to be very good artists.

I fully agree. I think Hollywood is SO far out of ideas that we'll see a note for note reproduction of Seinfeld in the next 5 years. I just saw an ad for a new USA series that is absolutely a redux of 'To Catch a Thief' (again shouts to Robt. Wagner)...

Seriously, that girl that was Charles in Charge's girlfriend was MAD HOT! I remember, at the time, I had this issue of Penthouse that had 'like' the exact same girl, and she was bleach blond but the drapes didn't match the bush (which was the style at the time) and it was some kinda lesbian spread, and I dug it... A LOT! So I tied an onion to my belt (which was the style at the time).... We called nickles 'bees', "Gimme five bees for a quarter!" we'd say.

simpgator.jpg

About all I can remember was no commercials on cable TV (which I always thought was the point of paying for it in the first place), MTV playing good music once in a while, titty movies after midnight...also, raves/art shows/punk shows that were free and blew your mind and/or came close to getting you killed (SRL, Men's Recovery Project, anything with Genesis P-Orridge, Crash Worship, or any show in the hood during the late 80s/early 90s), cheap LSD that worked, cheap smokes, cheap gas...nothing great, but GODDAMN I miss that shit. (Besides the TV.)

Then I talk to people from Berkeley who have decades of history on me who say things like "Man, seeing the Dead play at the Fillmore with so and so was a trip" or "Remember when FM radio first started?" or "Back when I used to hang out with Ginsberg and Alpert...." and suddenly I feel like a teenager or something.

It's 4:30 AM, I'm sober and I can't sleep. The now sucks right now.

But I would like to find somewhere to watch old episodes of "Night Court".

Agreed. But I figured it was a worthwhile effort.

Edit to say that sobriety is a bitch and she's no friend of mine.

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now