Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shai

THE GRATEFUL DEAD SUPERTHREAD

My dad loved the Grateful dead, I'm surprised that I never got into them because I love a lot of music from this era, but even now listening to them I just can't get into it, my wife hates them tho think there were too many deadheads at her university lol

Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia is where it's at!!

long time coming on this one

Serius satellite radio has the Dead channel.

I catch it when i can. Basically just live

random captured shows or rather whatever

day it is they go back in their catalog and

play something from that day. FYI

i made it to alot of Phish shows. Didn't have

a whole bunch of money but what else is new

Got my hustle on, hitched rides when i had to.

Didn't get in to all the shows but not for a lack

of trying. Met plenty of dirty rich kids. Along

the way people did a lot of lookin out.

That said I enjoy the Dead way more

12-2-73

http://www.archive.org/details/gd73-12-02.aud.vernon.17278.sbeok.shnf

This show can't get enough praise, everything is excellent. One of many highlights is the "Mind Left Body Jam" out of Playin'.

Streaming this now. Pretty good.

Never gave these guys much thought, even though my mother was/is a deadhead who followed them around in college back in the mid 70s. Just didn't like their sound when I was younger. Since then I've been trying to expand my horizons, musically. It would suck to still be listening only to the shit I listened to in my teens/early 20s.

I could see this as being good roadtrip music. I can also see the attraction of following them around, seeing a completely different show from night to night b/c of switched up setlists.

Theme, I'm with you on the '68-'72 era. Most of what I'll post (besides shows I was at) will probably be from that period, with some mid 70's stuff.

Man, I recently snagged this:

grateful dead: fillmore west 1969, the complete recordings, limited ed, 10-cd [bOX SET]

http://www.amazon.com/grateful-dead-fillmore-complete-recordings/dp/B000MK2W40

It's perfect for fans of said era. There's so many different versions of the same songs to go through and pick out what you like the most about each. You can nerd out on it for weeks.

that being said, here's an excellent '69 show.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1969-03-28.sbd.miller.81543.sbeok.flac16

The Eleven on here is awesome. Jerry really just floats his way through this one.

I never understood what was so great about the Grateful Dead ? To me it was absolutely horrible blues .

What I find so great about The Grateful Dead is they were basically the first and the best at taking different elements of purely American music and creating something that defies definition. They were our answer to the British invasion(s) of the 60's and 70's, and they were able to hit on something that none of their contemporaries could even imagine. The music that came out of their live shows was magic and is something that really can't be fully explained, but the point gets across well enough through good recordings of great shows. They gave off an energy that was far greater than the sum of it's parts.

shai hooked this up in another thread. The magnitude of this show can't be stressed enough.

8-27-72 Springfield Creamery Benefit, Old Renaissance Fairgrounds, Venetta, OR

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1972-08-27.sbd.hollister.2199.sbeok.shnf

I'm also not in the business of trying to convert anyone into a deadhead, but if you listen to "Jack Straw" from this show: http://www.archive.org/details/gd77-05-17.sbd.weiner.18554.sbeok.shnf

and read along the lyrics here: http://arts.ucsc.edu/gdead/agdl/jstraw.html

and believe that it isn't great music, then you are unamerican and you hate freedom.

ignorant statement, deadheads aint hippies for the most part, you can catch a BMW on the highway with a deadhead sticker on the back and a clean cut dude drivin, good music is good music. I was raised on this shit, along with the beatles , rolling stones etc.

niggaz know, niggaz know

The Dead had a greater influence on popular music and culture than most people realize. I'll be the first one to admit that their music is not for everyone, though.

If you are interested in finding out what all the fuss here is about and want to check out some of their music, I recommend going with the earlier stuff (1968-1977). After that, it's sort of hit or miss.

For me, it kind of breaks down like this...the Dead had four keyboardists over the years and each one defined what style they played during their tenure to some extent. Pigpen was a blues man, Keith was a jazz pianist, Brent was more pop oriented, Vince came from the Tubes and had a more aggressive style, and for the first year Vince was with the bad Bruce Hornsby played with them and added his style to the mix....I admit that this is pretty simplistic and I'm sure someone here will disagree with me.

Did trogg get banned for talking shit about Grateful Dead? :lol:

LOLLLLLLLLLLLL GOTTA LOVE IT.

Bet he didn't see that coming.

People are entitled to their opinion, and everyone enjoys good dialogue, but dude was just trolling with a stupid image- no substance, just trolling. He'll be unbanned by tomorrow.

Moving along...

7-14-70

http://www.archive.org/details/gd70-07-14.sbd.cotsman.17815.sbeok.shnf

The whole Cryptical>Other One>Cryptical is excellent. Jerry's playing during The Other One is fitting of Keesey's description of "that merry snake twining through the woodpile, flickering in and out of the loosely stacked chords."

I'd like to post more, but I'm sick as a dog right now so all I want to do is sleep it off.

trogg is good people. this makes me sad.

My wife loves them, I hate them.

whoa whoa whoa. you get banned for talk like that around these parts. you better retract that statement

• Like 1

trogg is good people. this makes me sad.

He made the fatal mistake of not having anything important to say but saying it anyway.

So I've been listening to this off and on today between naps and trips to the toilet...

Grateful Dead Live at Capitol Theater on 1970-11-06

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now