THE GRATEFUL DEAD SUPERTHREAD

shai

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Being a fan who never attended a show while Jerry was around and probably have little place to speak having only experienced shows through tape.. I've caught the last 3 tours for a chunk of them and watched this band start to pull together so well. Sure they have nights where it's a mess and just doesn't quite do it but shouldn't it be alluring enough to catch whats left then to have negative shit to say about it?

I'd say you shouldn't ask anyone on a forum if you should or shouldn't attend a show, half of the people feel that it's complete bullshit for the band to tour without Jerry and others call JK a fake Jerry, it's biased opinions all over.

Hit archive and listen to a couple random shows from the past two Furthur tours with a clear open mind and decide for yourself!

Before any lashings, I'm not saying Furthur is actually a place holder for the Dead, just that the band as it stands is starting to meld quite nicely and it's worth looking into further than asking a bunch of people on a board..

I'm not saying nobody should like Furthur/DSO/et al.....I don't have an opinion other than that for my own reasons (admittedly mostly having to do with taste) I've moved on from seeing anything currently Dead related. Almost all of the shows I go to now are decidedly NOT like the Dead (mostly punk and indie stuff) so I'm out of the loop when it comes to what's going on in the jam band scene.

When I made this thread I was feeling nostalgic listening to shows on archive.org, and after a quick search was surprised to find that that no one had made a GD thread on 12 oz. I knew that there were several fans on here, so I figured it wouldn't be a complete flop. Instead, it's the most successful thread I've made to date (even if half of it is about Phish).

Nothing wrong with phish, they can be really fucking amazing from time to time and from everything ive heard the last few years they sound really good like they are at their peak right now.

Anyone into these guys? I used to love them, this is an awesome show, Haven't seen them in years and everything i've heard from people who have gone to see them is not good these days.

http://archive.org/details/sts9-2006-01-19.flac

Hollywood Palladium on 1971-08-06

its fire

Phish is on. Furthur I seen the last couple times in chicago and local was kinda weak. If they return I'll be there with bells on but I'm not going out my way. 2013 Phish should be tits. I'm already excited. I don't listen to any other jam bands. I'll see Furthur because I love the Grateful Dead. Listen to em just about everyday day for years. Other jambands. I've never even heard SCI, UM, WSP.... any of em.

Umphrees can be fun, can't stand widespread, and I get high on SCI even though I missed every show this summer. The last time I saw them was the last new years run they did in SF.

Anyone dig this project? http://archive.org/details/zilla2005-04-22 Seriously love these guys[/quote

man they destroy hard to handle..between this one and the fillmore east 71 is some of my favorite GD ever..

All right, I'm going to post some Wiki links to stuff I like that's not the GD but somewhat relevant-

Acid Mothers Temple

Guru Guru

Sleepy Sun

When Sweet Sleep Returned by The Assemble Head in Sunburst Sound

Panda Bear

Earthless

SubArachnoid Space

Crime in Choir

Soft Machine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June of 44

The Black Heart Procession

Just about anything released by Elephant 6

Grizzly Bear

The Black Angels

And since we all know how to search for music, you can take it from here.

• 1 month later...

gd rules, but jam bands in general suck in my opinion. i just went to vegas and saw bob dylan and guns n roses. both were unbelievably good. further and fish and widespead panic, etc are fun shows to attend because of the drugs and art and women. the music? meh. granola funk express is ill though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...