Coffee makers...

ShortFuse

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're really gonna knock someone for implying that the Keurigs are wasteful? Yeah, we all use and therefore waste a shit ton of plastic, but tacking on another disposable plastic-wrapped product to your life ain't helping any. Shit adds up quickly, and writing off any attempt at moderating use of such products is stupid... some redneck, ign'ant shit.

Keurigs? really??!!

I get abused with that shit each time I have to visit head office across the pond. Guys, it's fucking shit. Honestly, I don't think the US is aware of what it's missing when it comes to coffee. That shit you cats drink tastes like burned and stale old crap, most Americans I know that spend much time in Europe/Australia never go back to typical US style coffee. I never thought I could find anything worse than Americano drip style coffee. I did, it's the Keurig.

There are only 3 things that make coffee worth drinking and they are listed below in relevant order:

la-marzocco-original-group-handle-50-p.jpg

MokaPot2.jpg

french-press.jpg

Do you own or use anything made out of plastic?

Then you fuck the environment in some way whether you recycle or not. The oil and gas industry makes your plastic, we all support it, and it's far more damaging then k-cups.

The K-Cup gimmick is a time saver for sure, not the best coffee either, and fortunately non-recyclable.

I didn't buy my machine either, it was a gift.

i'll admit my comment was harsh, but our desperation for convenience will kill us... and then who will be facing some harsh ass realities.. probably the next generation.

i'm not that concerned about it, i don't have kids and i think humans are generally worthless, the planet is better off without us. plus - no. i don't really use disposable plastic (i don't buy bottled drinks or use disposable utensils, my cookware/foodware is all metal or glass) i barely drive and i'm vegan. (meat consumption is just as bad as our plastic obsession)

but someone who uses nothing but disposable shit and has bad habits such as consuming tons of meat and plastics is definitely doing more harm than someone who is not.

it's called a carbon footprint. maybe you've never heard of it.

191141295.png?356

and honestly kids, this place gets very little traffic or convo. stop whining and resume thread.

i'll admit my comment was harsh, but our desperation for convenience will kill us... and then who will be facing some harsh ass realities.. probably the next generation.

i'm not that concerned about it, i don't have kids and i think humans are generally worthless, the planet is better off without us. plus - no. i don't really use disposable plastic (i don't buy bottled drinks or use disposable utensils, my cookware/foodware is all metal or glass) i barely drive and i'm vegan. (meat consumption is just as bad as our plastic obsession)

but someone who uses nothing but disposable shit and has bad habits such as consuming tons of meat and plastics is definitely doing more harm than someone who is not.

it's called a carbon footprint. maybe you've never heard of it.

http://www.leithcommunitycropsinpots.com/uploads/1/0/8/7/10874634/191141295.png?356

and honestly kids, this place gets very little traffic or convo. stop whining and resume thread.

I do agree with you about someone whom only uses disposable only things is "more harmful" than the transparent vegan who rides a bike to work. You are better than most, I get that. People who are conscious about their decision making should be applauded.

I also didn't come here to argue, I came here for coffee, or tea, or any kind of hot drink...

Has anyone had a coffee or espresso drink from one of these:

miele-espresso-built-in.jpg

I love coffee. Been thinking of buying an espresso machine. I like really dark coffee, two heaping scoops per one mug, from a drip machine I've had for like 15 years. My best attempt at being green in this area is buying the non-bleached brown paper filters. Still a footprint I know...

So any idea what the best next step would be for a guy who likes really black coffee? Espresso machine?

Oh and drinking coffee in general is bad for the planet too (not going to cite another whole issue right now), but what the fuck isn't these days.

Not a big French press fan either, it's just acceptable when the other two are unavailable.

I also have seen the Aeropress and am intrigued.

That Meile thing up there ^^^^ is that like and espresso machine in a fridge, or something?

Y'all also need to try an espresso shot in a Guinness. I won't drink a G without it....., mainly because I don't really like G too much.

I love coffee. Been thinking of buying an espresso machine. I like really dark coffee, two heaping scoops per one mug, from a drip machine I've had for like 15 years. My best attempt at being green in this area is buying the non-bleached brown paper filters. Still a footprint I know...

So any idea what the best next step would be for a guy who likes really black coffee? Espresso machine?

Oh and drinking coffee in general is bad for the planet too (not going to cite another whole issue right now), but what the fuck isn't these days.

We exist, we will have a footprint. Challenge is making it sustainable.

Yeah man, definitely go an espresso. A cheap alternative to start off with is a Mocka Pot, like I posted up above. You can brew one batch, put fresh grounds in and then run that coffee through a second batch of grounds. Shit will pop your heart. But yeah, nothing gets blacker, deeper and richer than an espresso shot.

Think I just talked myself in to one from my own machine.

Just on that, I'd also suggest that the pod type espresso machines be avoided. They are good for the office and places where simplicity and cleanliness matter but at home, get one with a proper group set like my first picture above.

When you grind your own beans and pack your own basket you get to decide how strong the coffee is. You can do a super-fine grind and pack it in really tight for a thicker, stronger shot or a courser, looser pack for a milder flat white coffee, or something. With a pod not only are you restricted to the way the pod is made and the coffee that manufacturer uses but you are also trapped in to paying the price and sometimes only being able to purchase from their preferred retailers.

Using the traditional style machine gives you greater choice on the coffee you make and what kind of beans you decide to use. With the grinder, the conical burr grinder is supposed to be the ducks guts. They are most definitely easier and faster to use but to be honest, my palette is not refined enough to tell the difference between a blade and burr grinder. I'm really not sure there's too much difference. I only have a burr grinder because there was a deal where it came with the most recent machine I picked up.

Guinness and espresso sounds intriguing. Do you just drop the little fucker right in a pint?

Yeah, it's good if you can put the shot(s) in the glass before you pour the beer as the coffee can make the beer froth up pretty bad. Great beer to start a night off if you're a bit low on energy.

ahaha the siphon coffee! There is a place near me that offers them. Its interesting to watch. I thought about getting one just for shits and giggles.

We got these new Nespresso machines at work. Theyre really small. One just brews and the other just froths milk. Im happy because theyre a heck of a lot better than our last machine, but the coffee is meh. Although the pods look like condoms. I had a lot of fun the first night convincing everyone we were giving them out on Valentines Day for a safe sex promotion.

paxe.jpg