CLASH OF THE TITANS (Graffiti Battle in Melbourne, Australia)

jerseyjoeart

You fail to grasp the wider implications of putting your name to this event.

By participating in the competition you are reducing graffiti to a commodity thats value is judged within a mainstream capitalist framework. Furthermore by competing for money, you are presenting a distinctly anti authoritarian art form in a humiliating and subservient manner in the hope of winning a nice little reward.

This competition sets a new standard for the definition of selling out.

THIS!

No that is not the truth.

Real graffiti holds validity as a form of fine art solely in an illegal context. It has strength and meaning because it's existence defies the mainstream paradigm and boldly projects an alternative value system. In this sense graffiti is a set of aesthetics coupled with a political message. By this definition, to produce graffiti legally is a paradox. Legal graffiti is an empty shell of aesthetics, devoid of any political message or wider meaning.

This event is a further humiliating distortion of what gives graffiti its strength. By entering into an industry sponsored competition for a monetary prize, you are presenting this set of aesthetics coupled with a message of acceptance of the mainstream paradigm and its value system.

In this context graffiti is hypocritical and sanitised. It is a puppet set of aesthetics jammed full of the very principles it is opposed to.

THIS!

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i heard the cash prize was pulled.

And really, every participant is either MSK/MSK affiliated/Ironlak team/team affiliated.

Bit of a limited competition.

Should be more like WWF Battle Royal i grew up watchin... 20+ participants 1 by 1 knock each other out until 2 left to go to war.

And NO that's NOT like basketball Final 4. WWF FO LIFE

i heard the cash prize was pulled.

And really, every participant is either MSK/MSK affiliated/Ironlak team/team affiliated.

Bit of a limited competition.

Should be more like WWF Battle Royal i grew up watchin... 20+ participants 1 by 1 knock each other out until 2 left to go to war.

And NO that's NOT like basketball Final 4. WWF FO LIFE

If watching men in tight pants have scripted fights is your thing then go ahead.Yes there are a shitload of writers who deserve to be in this but considering the event was created by a member of msk and ironlak is a sponsor of the event id expect to see this kind of line up..For anyone to say these guys didnt earn their spot is a complete joke.

sl_gallery_big_9fb9d7ac90-2.jpg

img240.jpg

img241o.jpg

277-08.jpg

which 1 of these guys hasnt put in work all around the world illegally ??? which 1 of these guys is faking it ??? try find an illegal vans piece in his home town of adelaide,you wont, you never do,

yeah are you blind mate, i see so many omega pieces up mostly tracksides aswell.

he hasn't done many lately but that would be because he's been over in america but as soon as he got back i've definately noticed a few popping up.

and look at sofles he's easily one of the best train writers in australia.

and who the fuck cares if theres money involved, if they're getting paid to do what they love then why the fuck not.

by the way does anyone know if the comp is now going to be at the wu-tang sideshow at festival hall?

becaue i've read that it is but haven't seen anything official to do with the comp.

No that is not the truth.

Real graffiti holds validity as a form of fine art solely in an illegal context. It has strength and meaning because it's existence defies the mainstream paradigm and boldly projects an alternative value system. In this sense graffiti is a set of aesthetics coupled with a political message. By this definition, to produce graffiti legally is a paradox. Legal graffiti is an empty shell of aesthetics, devoid of any political message or wider meaning.

This event is a further humiliating distortion of what gives graffiti its strength. By entering into an industry sponsored competition for a monetary prize, you are presenting this set of aesthetics coupled with a message of acceptance of the mainstream paradigm and its value system.

In this context graffiti is hypocritical and sanitised. It is a puppet set of aesthetics jammed full of the very principles it is opposed to.

I respect your opinion here. But as I said in my previous statement this doesn't hold true in my own experiences or others with graffiti. For me it was never about saying fuck you to anybody. It was just some scalliwag behaviour after school to begin with which ended up growing legs throughout my teen years as I took a more serious approach to doing stuff. It was never politically motivated or in any way a personal diss against authority. It was an outlet to get myself out of more serious crimes for a while there and still serves a purpose getting me on the right track away from drugs and alcohol occasionally to this day. Painting for me is a good way to clear my head. That being said I've never been heavily involved in 'the scene' and could generally give a fuck about what goes on in it for the most part.

I can kind of agree with you on your stance with legals as I don't really get any enjoyment out of painting them other than having the time to fuck around with something new.

In the end who's to say whats right and what isn't. There aren't any set rules in place to say otherwise.

this is for graff fans, old and new, how the fuck is it selling out? Graff is an art-form, and a social outlet... just because some sponsors threw together a purse to actually generate motivation for some of the greats to actually battle each other, each one risking their naming being officially mentioned as being taken out by another artist...

HATERS will ALWAYS HATE. Like Katt Williams says, get you some more haters. Gotta have em, cuz if you don't, you doin somethin wrong. Keep on the hustle, there is WAY more involved in this clash of the titans gig than MSK. Open your eyes to the possibilities...

i think this event is gonna be rad to check out and ill make every effort to be there if the location is ever announced. however i think the two things that most people have failed to point out is the obvious contradiction of revok and others (i think) being involved in an ironlak promotion competition when they are sponsored by MTN, i would think that was a breach of contract or some shit and the raw deal that the paint company is shelling out 20 g's for whoever wins and possibly paying for their flights and accomodation (i dont know this for sure so sorry if im wrong) for guys who generally get paid to do what they do aswell as free paint, while the rest of us suckers are still forking out top dollar to do shit for free with the paint they are promoting. not hating, just food for thought and at the end of the day it is one hell of a promotional stunt guaranteed to generate sales.

20000 tins sold at a dollar off would benefit the consumer better but hey whatever

and yes if i was widely enough recognised to be invited into the comp then i would get down with it for sure and yes as long as it doesnt cost me ninety bucks (like rampage was going to) then i will go check it out. see you there kids

More than Half of the Contestants are Both Affiliated with MSK and Ironlak. Great Competition. This should Just be an Event, With the Winner Getting a Custom Ironlak Color or Something, Competing for Cash when Your Boys and Your Sponsor are the Judges isn't Really a Competition, Just an Excuse to Get the Kids Riled Up to Buy some Paint.

Give the Cash to Starving Kids in Africa!

• Like 2

More than Half of the Contestants are Both Affiliated with MSK and Ironlak. Great Competition. This should Just be an Event, With the Winner Getting a Custom Ironlak Color or Something, Competing for Cash when Your Boys and Your Sponsor are the Judges isn't Really a Competition, Just an Excuse to Get the Kids Riled Up to Buy some Paint.

Give the Cash to Starving Kids in Africa!

One judge is from msk and the rest have nothign to do with lak....

instead of finding the shit side of it you could just look at it as a bunch of dope writers coming to aus so we can go there and look at the dope writers doing dope pieces, check out wu tang and go for a paint in a dope city...