CLASH OF THE TITANS (Graffiti Battle in Melbourne, Australia)

jerseyjoeart

clashofthetitans_web_flyer.jpg

This is an every man for themselves, winner take all battle for $20,000! No bullshit themes, sideways rules, or collaborating on this one. Just solid style and an attempt to prove who wants it the most! I’ve been waiting for years for something like this to come along! Expect a lot!!

A legit roster of artists chosen by REVOK will be competing, including: AROK (UK), ASKEW (NEW ZEALAND), CES (USA), DEMS (SPAIN), DMOTE (AUSTRALIA), EWOK, (USA), POSE (USA), RIME (USA), SOFLES, (AUSTRALIA), VANS (AUSTRALIA)

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds to fucking homo to describe. Graffiti competitions, put on by paint companies, with cash prizes, and featuring all you toys hero's you idolize. This has nothing to do with graffiti, and everything to do with selling out graffiti so some hipster fucks can get paid for faking it.

which 1 of these guys hasnt put in work all around the world illegally ??? which 1 of these guys fakes it ??? and its pretty sick theyre gett $20000 just for a battle....shit i kno you would try if u had half the talent ...who cant use $20,000 for painting ?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

• Like 1

which 1 of these guys hasnt put in work all around the world illegally ??? which 1 of these guys fakes it ??? and its pretty sick theyre gett $20000 just for a battle....shit i kno you would try if u had half the talent ...who cant use $20,000 for painting ?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

You fail to grasp the wider implications of putting your name to this event.

By participating in the competition you are reducing graffiti to a commodity thats value is judged within a mainstream capitalist framework. Furthermore by competing for money, you are presenting a distinctly anti authoritarian art form in a humiliating and subservient manner in the hope of winning a nice little reward.

This competition sets a new standard for the definition of selling out.

• Like 1

I can understand the argument here but can't support it either way. Everyone has there own opinions on graffiti because there are no set rules in place. For mine it's just something fun I do. For others it's a lifestyle. For others it's a living. In the end though it doesn't really matter what the fuck people are painting for as long as they are enjoying it.

I can understand the argument here but can't support it either way. Everyone has there own opinions on graffiti because there are no set rules in place. For mine it's just something fun I do. For others it's a lifestyle. For others it's a living. In the end though it doesn't really matter what the fuck people are painting for as long as they are enjoying it.

thats the truth

thats the truth

No that is not the truth.

Real graffiti holds validity as a form of fine art solely in an illegal context. It has strength and meaning because it's existence defies the mainstream paradigm and boldly projects an alternative value system. In this sense graffiti is a set of aesthetics coupled with a political message. By this definition, to produce graffiti legally is a paradox. Legal graffiti is an empty shell of aesthetics, devoid of any political message or wider meaning.

This event is a further humiliating distortion of what gives graffiti its strength. By entering into an industry sponsored competition for a monetary prize, you are presenting this set of aesthetics coupled with a message of acceptance of the mainstream paradigm and its value system.

In this context graffiti is hypocritical and sanitised. It is a puppet set of aesthetics jammed full of the very principles it is opposed to.

Graffiti is the bastard son of the arts. Like the prodigal son, we long for its return.However, upon its return, it does not exist in a vacuum. Graf was born of the revoluionary era of the

60s. Times are vastly different today. In order to adapt and adopt, graf has had to make changes and often, sacrifices. This in itself will enable the form to exist and evolve. If we're not growing, we're decaying...there is no 'in between'.We should celebrate when outsiders(posers,hipsters, whateva) take an interest in the artform. We should NOT allow them to take control or dilute the culture. This events' judges AND participants are veterans and stars of the game. I trust they will guard its spirit with their integrities. And for all the staunch revolutionaries, the taking of the prize $$$ is infiltrating corporate sponsors, looting their funds and transferring the resources to 'Our' side. REVOLUTION IS EVOLUTION