$1700 internet bill! WTF?

Mauler5150

I just got off the phone from my Dad who got my internet bill (as it is thru his business for tax purposes) for the past month and apparently Telstra were trying to charge us $1700 for one months usage.

Now I know you all bitch and complain about your USA ISPs but damn, all I did was upgrade my usage plan in the middle of the month and upgrade to ADSL2 so that I could hopefully cut down on lag while playing games online. They tried to pull this bullshit saying I was only entitled to 30GB of up/downloads per month when the plan I was on said it was 60GB.

Fuck these wankers, on the phone now trying to sort shit out. Wish us luck.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They have ridiculous caps in Australia, the one I am on is one of the worst as even uploads are metered (my torrent ratios are almost down to 1:1 since we switched ISPs a while back). We aren't going to pay it, they have now agreed that we only have to pay $150Au (which is the price of the plan I am on, surprisingly enough, this is actually competitive when I checked other ISPs pricing out).

But Anyway let this thread serve as a warning to people to not use Telstra as an ISP (if you live in Oz that is).

Must be the geographic isolation and expensive satellite links, that really sucks.

Most urban areas here you pay around $50 a month for 10 megabits per second speed, no caps.

I highly doubt out location has anything to do with it, what with satellites being able to move...

It is the fact that Telstra got sold off piece by piece yet they still own most of the hardlines wired throughout Australia and the new owners (our government) are using that to fuck us over as hard as possible by charging all ISP's to use their lines.

Its all sorted, but thanks mate. It is highway robbery, but they agreed that there was nothing explicit in the contract to say that I only had half the cap or whatever, they just assume this is the case. After coming off my 1500/256 plan I went a bit crazy and downloaded a shitload, especially since I had to catch up on seasons of shows since I was on holiday, but when I left utorrent running for a couple of days I didn't realise I had uploaded 7GB (as I was used to upping at 1/10 the speed of what it runs at now). If it was just downloads I would have been fine I reckon, but I got right to the 60GB mark at the end.

Man, thats heinous.

I pay 25 a month and my house mate pays the same and we have unlimited downloads and very fast interwebs,. i dont know what plan were onm because it was already up and running when we movedd in but we have never had anything like that happen.

good on you mauler for beating the internet.

Oh look! ....my internet bill just came in....

openingmalevichsmail.jpg

$1,700.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????

scratching_head.jpg

angry1.jpg

They have ridiculous caps in Australia, the one I am on is one of the worst as even uploads are metered (my torrent ratios are almost down to 1:1 since we switched ISPs a while back). We aren't going to pay it, they have now agreed that we only have to pay $150Au (which is the price of the plan I am on, surprisingly enough, this is actually competitive when I checked other ISPs pricing out).

But Anyway let this thread serve as a warning to people to not use Telstra as an ISP (if you live in Oz that is).

I only got this far down the thread.

You are the third person I know (the other two I know IRL) who have dealt with this. None of them have actually paid the full price. I figure this is a scam that Telstra pulls to try their luck. I wonder how many people actually pay it.

I'll also add that I am right now in central China where the internet is about USD18 per month, uncapped and fast.

Central fucking China, dude. Cheap, fast, unlimited. Third world country. I fucking hate the internet situation in Australia, If I remember correctly, Australia has the the most expensive, most heavily capped and slowest fucking interweb in the world.

Yeah you are right there christo. Its like meant to be $0.35 per MB for everything over 60GB, but I was under that amount, I can't ever see someone being stupid enough to pay that amount though. One of these days we will catch up to the rest of the world, but another question, is the net in China really as censored as I have heard? I heard you can't even watch Youtube on there, let alone pron, due to the Government controlling the information that the people there are able to obtain.