Deftones Appreciation Thread

R@ndomH3ro

deftones-in-rolling-stone.jpg

Man, I havent listen to any Deftones' albums in YEARS, and suddenly I heard an old song off of the Adrenaline album. It really took me back to highschool days, skating and being a little jerk. So I decided to download every album they have put out since now and I have been listening to them non-stop on my bike ride to work. Really awesome stuff, I forgot how deep their songs and the complexity of their music, like a heavy metal orchestra. Really digging it a lot and it brings back tons of memories.

So Appreciate or Not..but I do and I will continue to on these cold days of minimal sun.

p.s - Apperently their bassist Chi was in a car accident a while ago and he is in a coma. Here is a site and they are asking donations for his medical bills.

http://oneloveforchi.com/

• Like 2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I was talking to a guy the other night that toured with them a while back. Apparently within the last year one of the guitarists or bass player was in so cal for a memorial for his brother that committed suicide the year before. On his way home, got into a wreck and is now in a vegetative state. talk about a rough year for the family.

Never was into them, but best wishes to Chi.

You should give them a listen now. I wasnt to into them as a kid and heard songs through other people when I used to skate (always some one had their cd in that would give me a ride to spots) I found that the older I get the music that I wasnt really into in my youth I have learned to appriciate more now.

I guess that is old timer syndrome for you. Just like my brother in law who is a big grindcore/deathmetal fan likes Rush. Who would have known?

You should give them a listen now. I wasnt to into them as a kid and heard songs through other people when I used to skate (always some one had their cd in that would give me a ride to spots) I found that the older I get the music that I wasnt really into in my youth I have learned to appriciate more now.

I guess that is old timer syndrome for you. Just like my brother in law who is a big grindcore/deathmetal fan likes Rush. Who would have known?

I've been switching it up a lot recently. Here's some of the stuff that comes up in my "most often played" list-

Popul Vuh- Quiche Maya

Embrace- S/T

Slint- Spiderland

Cap'n Jazz- Analphabetology

The Unicorns- Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone?

27- Songs From The Edge Of The Wing

June of 44- Four Great Points

Unrest- Various

Adam and the Ants- Dirk Wears White Sox

Big Star- #1 Record/Radio City

The Dead Weather- Horehound

Flower Travellin' Band- Satori

Harvey Milk- Life....The Best Game In Town

Boris- Akuma No Ata

Teenage Fanclub- Bandwagonesque

Three Mile Pilot- Songs From An Old Town

The Grateful Dead- Birth of the Dead

Millbrae Brothers- Behold A Pale Horse/Hoodie Hoes EPs

Birth Control- S/T

Guru Guru- Kanguru

The Status Quo - Picturesque Matchstickable Message From The Status Quo

The Incredible Staggers- Teenage Trash Insanity

Red House Painters- First S/T LP

Tindersticks- Second S/T

• Like 1

ya really

aiight, I'l look at that, mostly I know them from ads in guitar magazines... I can respect their sponsorships. Lately, I like to ride to the Specials ft. Desmond Dekker or the Fight Club soundtrack, or Be-bop stuff, plus a ton of my old industrial faves... went thru a Flogging Molly phase but too many tempo shifts.

aiight, I'l look at that, mostly I know them from ads in guitar magazines... I can respect their sponsorships. Lately, I like to ride to the Specials ft. Desmond Dekker or the Fight Club soundtrack, or Be-bop stuff, plus a ton of my old industrial faves... went thru a Flogging Molly phase but too many tempo shifts.

They are good, earlier albums are just grundgy metal...I like am digging their later stuff (white pony and beyond) where they went for a sonic guitar overchord dark melodic kind of thing

really good chill music

I used to listen to deftones alot. I didn't expect Random to dig that kind of music.

Just listened to some adrenaline tracks earlier this week and felt it was a bit too juvenile for my taste with all the screaming and singing.

If I check out whatever they released after white pony I probably wind up digging that stuff more.

and? me too...

Yeah but you know, you can practically chop music tastes into weekly intervals in retrospect. I remember when I first saw the "go-go's" (maybe 'we got the beat') and I liked it, or, more realistically I wanted to fuck the bass player, but then a week later I went a girl's B'day party and all these girls were dancing around to it and acting it all out and I just wanted to hear Devo (and fuck a couple of those girls). This is when I was 11 or 12. I could barely get a hard on but I knew what to do with pussy when you got it and I knew it was all about Devo that week.

I used to listen to deftones alot. I didn't expect Random to dig that kind of music.

Just listened to some adrenaline tracks earlier this week and felt it was a bit too juvenile for my taste with all the screaming and singing.

If I check out whatever they released after white pony I probably wind up digging that stuff more.

Yeah but I go into and out of phases of music that I want to listen to....but deathmetal and grindcore are always my first preferece. Yeah Adrenaline is cool but I really dig their later stuff, they grew out of that "nu-metal" stuff and started to make more melodic atmospheric dark stuff

Yeah but you know, you can practically chop music tastes into weekly intervals in retrospect. I remember when I first saw the "go-go's" (maybe 'we got the beat') and I liked it, or, more realistically I wanted to fuck the bass player, but then a week later I went a girl's B'day party and all these girls were dancing around to it and acting it all out and I just wanted to hear Devo (and fuck a couple of those girls). This is when I was 11 or 12. I could barely get a hard on but I knew what to do with pussy when you got it and I knew it was all about Devo that week.

See above..dude I go through the same thing, one day I am on a country western slump and the next I am listening to bowie and queen.

I feel you

I remember some rare track that I liked that sounded way different from anything else they ever released. It was like Hum or some shoegazer band or something.

I can relate to the music phases comment. I have like 5 hardcore albums I can't get away from, that I always end up listening year after year. I can go through anything from breakbeat to new composed music etc, but after a while end up with early releases from bands like Neglect, Kickback, Vision of Disorder and what not.

I don't think many people even know those bands nowadays.