Recession and Freights

GeeWhy-ish

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

ive got a customer spot that hasnt layed up for me in at least 6 months, i used to get probably 6 boxs a week there..

ive seen and heard about alot of those auto lines that are laying up, but ive also heard about them leaving storage after a while.

but the bigger yards around here..still bumpin, not like it used to, but i still see a fare amount of lines

GM's latest news? Im looking at todays paper and it says GM sales

are down 45% and an industry wide 23% plummet in September. Everybody cleaned up last month because the cash for clunkers but just because govt incentives were too sweet to pass up. I dunno man. Im from Detroit. My entire adult life has been spent in a recession

apparently the camaro and some other model are doing really very well.

so that isn't GM but they aren't completely tanking.

chrysler on the other hand is in the shitter.

dunno, could be wrong but there are some optimists. clearly opinions still differ

Clunkers rebates of as much as $4,500 produced almost 700,000 sales, and now that the incentives are gone the new-auto market is returning to levels that match underlying monthly demand, said Mike DiGiovanni, Detroit-based GM’s executive director of global marketing and industry analysis.

“This is clearly behind us,” DiGiovanni said.

“I’m still thinking the industry will start to come back into form in the fourth quarter,” said Mark LaNeve, GM’s vice president of U.S. sales. “Didn’t see it in September.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=alyennsNtT7k

from talking to my grandfather who works for the rails its definitely affecting the freights.they havent been making very many new cars,or at all,and alot of people are cutting back on their fleets so less shit is running.another big problem with cars sitting in layups for so long is partly due(atleast in my area) becuase they had to lay off so many people.my Grandfather said he had to lay off half the people at his shop.so less workers means stuff doesnt move out as quickly.ive had a line of hoppers here since may.fucking whack.i hate it and id wish it would go away.but i dont think it will ever be like it was before.granted it will get better but when that will happen i have no clue.until then shit is suckin round here.

that and toys.fucking kids dont know shit about how to keep things cool at the yard.ive seen kids painting engines and shit.things like that dont help at all.or they paint the walls nearby and even inside the walls at the spot and its like wtf you have a line of 70 cars infront of you or better yet a shitload of other places in the city that you could paint what ever possessed you to hit this wall.and no ones getting on their asses about it...

that and toys.fucking kids dont know shit about how to keep things cool at the yard.ive seen kids painting engines and shit.things like that dont help at all.or they paint the walls nearby and even inside the walls at the spot and its like wtf you have a line of 70 cars infront of you or better yet a shitload of other places in the city that you could paint what ever possessed you to hit this wall.and no ones getting on their asses about it...

I have lost whole yards from that type of shit. Not just toys blowin up the spot either. If you care about having a spot. YOU need to do some thing about it and as for the toys. Well be painfully creative before its to late.

i try my best to keep my yard clean from caps,scrap cans and trash in general.as for the cats fuckin around in the yard theres not much i can do.i cant really cross them out in the yard becuase then im just adding to the problem.only on the streets.but i walk the tracks everyday.if i catch one of them its an asswhoopin for sure.even tho we dont have any beef,their fucking it up for all of us..getting a beating is the only way these kids learn nowadays these fools are so hardheaded.

I work for the industry as well as being a graf fan. One thing to also consider is that smaller terminals are becoming skeleton operations and traffic is being re-routed to be switched at larger facilities. If you live in an area with a smaller switching yard better do some traveling to get work in.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Yeah but gondolas and abcx hoppers get old fast. Haha

shiiiiiiiiit, if it moves it moves, thats how i see it

and they had freights running in the Great Depression, so they should not be permanently effected by this recession (which is quite mild in comparison)

shits gunna pick up soon...as long as this health care bill gets shot down

I'm going to have to agree that trains just aren't laying up as much as they used to down here in south florida. The yards are still pretty active and the IM's are still running and a pretty consistant schedule ( great way to hop out of SoFla ) But things are getting super high tension around here because there are not enough trains laying up for poeple to get their panels in and the yards security is getting tougher...