ask someone from a different country...

trogg_slayer

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just going on my own experiences there is definately differences in slang. Even just from writers I've met through my travels. Sydney I heard lad alot. Queensland I heard bud alot. Melbourne you hear man alot and in Adelaide they end there sentences with hey alot. Aka "thats heaps good hey" I've noticed the word hectic getting used a bit in Melbourne these days when only a few years ago I heard it being used as an every day thing in Sydney and it seems to have migrated south (Along with Lad culture)

Adelaide definately has a distinct accent compared to other citites, hell even when they pronounce their own city it sounds like they are saying Adelead. Northern territory for the most part has a real bogan twang happening (the stereotypical aussie accent)

and even on from that^ i think of Melbourne as a kind of wannabe new york. more guys wear fitted hats here and say man and shit like that whereas in sydney and qld they tend to act more australian if you know what i mean, and if we're going by what headwear is worn then its more the curved baseball cap that was what Australia associated with rap music in the early 00's.

in response to Melbourne and adelaide ending sentences with "hey" i think it was the northern cities like Brisbane (i could be wrong) that started saying "but" at the end of every sentence.

"i'd fuck her, shes got a boyfriend but"

but what?

i've noticed hectic being used more my ethnic people but its slipping into the 'cool' lingo.

slang is really just territorial, different words for things. for example in melbourne, googs being ecstasy. in other places its called rolls or what have you.

and for chopsticks, i dont know anyone who calls weed zombie, that sounds like some spicoli throwback type expression. where im from its called weed bud or green. not very exciting.

people of angland, why don't you pronounce your t's?

i.e.

tattoo, english pronounciation: tahooooooooooh

total, english pronounctian: tohooooooooooh

I pronounce mine. For total anyway, I find myself only slightly hitting the T with tattoo for some reason.. but it's there.

Might be a specific area of England that has a shitty accent where it's worse, but most people pronounce it ok.

The US has a very wide range of accents varying by region. There's even some small towns that still speak dialects of English from the colonial days where their convict ancestors were placed. Im probably wrong, but I don't think I've ever heard any variances in a British or Aussie accent. Most Americans who aren't the type to be hung up on people's accent or any other thing that makes them different don't even acknowledge that the person is from another country, especially if they are speaking English. When other Europeans come over who have been taught the Queen's English, there are differences in the words they use that Americans bug out over. For example, calling pants 'trousers', shit like that.

I think we just dont notice it. Like, I'm sure theres different accents in other citys/countries. This spanish girl one time told me argentinians have the best spanish accents. Shit like that. I dont know.

Just to add a question....

English people. Do you guys really like fosters? Why don't you drink your beers ice cold?

No Fosters is cheap piss water, it isn't tasty, isn't strong and drank by people who are too lightweight to handle things like Stella, 1664 or any other premium european beers. Same thing goes for Carling that shit is disgusting too

I always drink lagers cold and when you buy a pint of lager it is always chilled.

Real beer or ales tend to not be served chilled as the full taste doesn't come out.

• Like 1

Australia is a very diverse country, there are people here from many different backgrounds.

With the abolition of the white Australia policy, and the progressive immigration policies in the 70s and 80s (Gough, Fraser, etc), Australia embraced multiculturalism and diversity. At least, much more so than previous governments, and certainly more than many other Western countries.

During that period Australia developed as a very cohesive and stable country. As a result unrest and rebellion was you could say not necessary.

In comparison, in some European countries the separation and segregation of the immigrant population has lead to a lot of problems (France being a recent obvious example). This causes unrest from both sides.

Have I completely missed the point?

Australia still is to some extent very conformist. The above probably answers it from one perspective I think.

We also still belong to the Commonwealth and the Queen, which also has effects on government policy and general thinking.

Yes, you missed the point, Ausland is not stable and it's ignorant to pretend like we dont have just as many issues as america does. And we are most definately NOT multicultural bro, why do you think we had a white Australia policy for so long? Asians and shit flooded in because their continent sucks mad dick but they brought their problems with them and added them to ours.

Oh, everywhere is fucking diverse, travel and shit holmes.

Yes, you missed the point, Ausland is not stable and it's ignorant to pretend like we dont have just as many issues as america does. And we are most definately NOT multicultural bro, why do you think we had a white Australia policy for so long? Asians and shit flooded in because their continent sucks mad dick but they brought their problems with them and added them to ours.

Oh, everywhere is fucking diverse, travel and shit holmes.

I don't think you understand what multicultural means. IF Asians and shit flooded in, then we are multicultural by definition. Plus, we are one of two countries that has a multicultural policy.

My neighbours as we grew up were Indian, Chinese, Uzbeks, Fijian, White Aussies, Americans, etc. etc.

Australia is most definitely multicultural because we have multiple cultures living there.

You would think so but you should visit where I live, multicultural is an understatement.

Just because you bareley tolorate another culture within your own doesn't mean you get a cookie.

I've heard some of the worst/highest numbers of racist remarks towards Asains come from Australia.