ask someone from a different country...

trogg_slayer

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, actually the normal bobby in England doesn't carry a gun (unless things have changed int he last couple of months). They have flying squads that are armed that react to armed emergencies.

The cops here don't carry guns either. They have the special police, which you see semi-regularly anyway that cary guns. But right now due to the Oct.1 anniversary there are soldiers walking the streets with fucking bayonets fixed!!

It is like that Theo, just watch Flight of the Concords to see how Aussies think of Kiwis (from the Kiwi perspective as well).

So when are the Euros going to answer why their drinks are always warm, I asked that a few times in Europe and only drew blank stares then I tried to convince them how much better drinks taste Ice cold.

And to the Swedish people on here, are there really no ugly girls there?

Ah, actually the normal bobby in England doesn't carry a gun (unless things have changed int he last couple of months). They have flying squads that are armed that react to armed emergencies.

The cops here don't carry guns either. They have the special police, which you see semi-regularly anyway that cary guns. But right now due to the Oct.1 anniversary there are soldiers walking the streets with fucking bayonets fixed!!

varies from county to county apparently.

yea in general cops don't carry guns in the UK, but if you pull some serious shit then the police are there with guns, they haveplaenty of access to them, just don't carry them as standard equipment.

there are divisions in the police force that specialize in guns so if the shit goes down they get called.

was a bit of a running joke when i was over there

Okay for the irish on here

are the troubles really over I know the IRA appears to have disbanded but on a street level is the hatred still there?

there has recently been a bit of a resurgence of trouble in Ireland, not any major bombing campaigns or anything like that but I have read about quite a few killings recently

for anybody who has been to australia and united states...

they say when you flush your toilets it spins the opposite way as the us, have any of you actually experienced this? I also heard when dogs walk in circles to lay down or take a shit they spin in opposites also.

thanks in advance

front of the line (the bump thing doesnt settle well w/me)

The US has a very wide range of accents varying by region. There's even some small towns that still speak dialects of English from the colonial days where their convict ancestors were placed. Im probably wrong, but I don't think I've ever heard any variances in a British or Aussie accent. Most Americans who aren't the type to be hung up on people's accent or any other thing that makes them different don't even acknowledge that the person is from another country, especially if they are speaking English. When other Europeans come over who have been taught the Queen's English, there are differences in the words they use that Americans bug out over. For example, calling pants 'trousers', shit like that.

I don't really understand the conformist culture question... Why would we want to be wiggers or emo's? I'm happy with being an everyday person without the label attached.

I think for the most part Aussies consider those people try hards... Nobody wants to be a try hard.

** We do have varying accents and slang. Not wildly varying though.

Not as much as say a new yawker and someone from texas.

I don't really understand the conformist culture question... Why would we want to be wiggers or emo's? I'm happy with being an everyday person without the label attached.

I think for the most part Aussies consider those people try hards... Nobody wants to be a try hard.

its cool to be calm in australia

whats the point in trying hard to fit into a subculture that you shun and act like you are better than when really you wana be down.

why are cigarettes called fags in england?....smoking a fag sounds gay.

GOOD QUESTION

From what I can gather it is a tenuous cockney rhyming slang link.

But you won't guess it in a million years.

During world war 1 when the english soldiers were in the trenches, they used to have the cigarettes transported and delivered in metal boxes, inside which, i guess to protect them, the cigarettes were wrapped in oily rags. Hence, oily rag - fag.

^ ha my room mate always tells me about how living in sweden cause of girls is so much better than here..

The US has a very wide range of accents varying by region. There's even some small towns that still speak dialects of English from the colonial days where their convict ancestors were placed. Im probably wrong, but I don't think I've ever heard any variances in a British or Aussie accent. Most Americans who aren't the type to be hung up on people's accent or any other thing that makes them different don't even acknowledge that the person is from another country, especially if they are speaking English. When other Europeans come over who have been taught the Queen's English, there are differences in the words they use that Americans bug out over. For example, calling pants 'trousers', shit like that.

where are these towns at?

I asked 5fingure this, and he said there aren't different dialects & slang in different parts of Australia.

Like do they sound different on the east coast than the west coast, like in the US.

I figured this were the case in most countries.

people who like in the country, and i mean the real country, speak a little slower than people from big cities and they have slightly more of than typical aussie twang. <- nh

and theres a few words different in the big cities but nothing major. idk, you kinda gotta experience it to know

That's exactly my point, generally most people don't want to be labeled ass different here either.

Many Americans and most other western cultures do have relatively larger groups of people within them

that find serious fault with the norm and don't want to be labeled as such and thus form subcultures.

We have hippes, wiggers, and so on, even within ethnic minorities there are sub cultures here.

I know there seems to be things like racism and other cultural shortcomings there to rebel against just like any where else.

Not saying Aussie culture is inferior or anything like that, it just seems like the United States circa 1950 where the status quo was accepted.

Till this day, I haven't met an Aussie who wasn't completely content in their general Social climate there.

As opposed to every other western culture.

Australia is a very diverse country, there are people here from many different backgrounds.

With the abolition of the white Australia policy, and the progressive immigration policies in the 70s and 80s (Gough, Fraser, etc), Australia embraced multiculturalism and diversity. At least, much more so than previous governments, and certainly more than many other Western countries.

During that period Australia developed as a very cohesive and stable country. As a result unrest and rebellion was you could say not necessary.

In comparison, in some European countries the separation and segregation of the immigrant population has lead to a lot of problems (France being a recent obvious example). This causes unrest from both sides.

Have I completely missed the point?

Australia still is to some extent very conformist. The above probably answers it from one perspective I think.

We also still belong to the Commonwealth and the Queen, which also has effects on government policy and general thinking.

Australia is a very diverse country, there are people here from many different backgrounds.

With the abolition of the white Australia policy, and the progressive immigration policies in the 70s and 80s (Gough, Fraser, etc), Australia embraced multiculturalism and diversity. At least, much more so than previous governments, and certainly more than many other Western countries.

During that period Australia developed as a very cohesive and stable country. As a result unrest and rebellion was you could say not necessary.

In comparison, in some European countries the separation and segregation of the immigrant population has lead to a lot of problems (France being a recent obvious example). This causes unrest from both sides.

Have I completely missed the point?

Australia still is to some extent very conformist. The above probably answers it from one perspective I think.

We also still belong to the Commonwealth and the Queen, which also has effects on government policy and general thinking.

Good fucking answer.

Also, there were heaps of different identities when I was a kid. I was a headbanger first, then I was a bomber/skater and then a raver. There were also waxheads, punks, skins, mods, goths, disco wogs, westies/bogans, trendies, bikies, country boys and so on and so on.

I have no idea why anyone would ever call Australia conformist.

As for Australian accents in the US, I could have gotten laid 5 times a week in Texas when I was there earlier this month simply because of my accent.

people who like in the country, and i mean the real country, speak a little slower than people from big cities and they have slightly more of than typical aussie twang. <- nh

and theres a few words different in the big cities but nothing major. idk, you kinda gotta experience it to know

Just going on my own experiences there is definately differences in slang. Even just from writers I've met through my travels. Sydney I heard lad alot. Queensland I heard bud alot. Melbourne you hear man alot and in Adelaide they end there sentences with hey alot. Aka "thats heaps good hey" I've noticed the word hectic getting used a bit in Melbourne these days when only a few years ago I heard it being used as an every day thing in Sydney and it seems to have migrated south (Along with Lad culture)

Adelaide definately has a distinct accent compared to other citites, hell even when they pronounce their own city it sounds like they are saying Adelead. Northern territory for the most part has a real bogan twang happening (the stereotypical aussie accent)