ask someone from a different country...

trogg_slayer

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JohnLester#31

To persons from any other continent other than North America:

Have any of you never been to North America, yet desire to come here for (a particular) reason?

I'm in the UK and would like to visit North America, the reason being that I used to have a lot of preconcived ideas about America which have changed through using this forum mainly. Not been anywhere in the US yet but will probably when my son is a bit older.

I would like to visit New York for the whole graf thing and huge variety of different cultures there, Vegas because my wife has a friend there and should really visit them. I would also like to see places like memphis and tennesse for the whole blues age of music and see the history there. Generally I would just like to travel around and see the difference in culture to the UK.

Guest JohnLester#31

Very interesting. I've lived in the US all my life, and haven't seen any of those place my self, but would love to.

When I visit the UK, i'd probably look out for the architecture. America seems to have gotten a shit load of influence when it comes to buildings from other countries around the world.

I would also like to see places like memphis and tennesse for the whole blues age of music and see the history there. Generally I would just like to travel around and see the difference in culture to the UK.

The blues is a tourist trap in Memphis, you gotta know the right people to experience it.

Memphis has a lot of blues culture, but it's not on the exterior. You gotta dig deep or know the right people to experience it, but can be done. My friends and I got in touch with an Aussie who came through to experience the blues in New Orleans, Memphis and Chicago...my roommate ended up taking him to this small time festival called the Goat BBQ right across the border in Mississippi. He ended up playing harmonica with some serious acts....

I'm in the UK and would like to visit North America, the reason being that I used to have a lot of preconcived ideas about America which have changed through using this forum mainly.

Like what? Just curious.

Because I've been under the impression that many Europeans are arrogant & ignorant in their view of America, and are indoctrinated to base their views of America on stereotypes, thinking all Americans are fat, ignorant, war-loving, gun-toting, neo-conservative, Bible-thumping, racist, and uneducated. And think the "European way" is superior.

Then I figured I was pre-judging, and after I visited London & Amsterdam, I returned still thinking the same thing.

exactly those sort of things Theo, to be honest I am not proud of it.

Whenever we see Americans on TV for instance they never know about anything outside of America, like where countries are, the complete refusal to see anything other than the American way and that America is the best and not admiting to problems that America might have.

I'm not saying that my views have changed completely, my discussion with someone in crossfire this evening has made me realise that some Americans are that way but in general I have a much softer view on Americans and know that you aren't all redneck hicks etc and that you do have a enlightened and diverse culture and I would say 12oz is the main reason for this change because pretty much everyone I converse with on this forum is American and really cool, intelligent and open people.

I don't think the British way or the European way or the American way are any better than each other, there are just different view points and different cultural backgrounds that affect the way we view things.

freedom_isnt_free.jpg

I agree.

Let's let Taliban terrorists off the hook for a few years and go after a country that had nothing to do wit 9/11, and kill hundreds of thousands of civilians that were better off before our "freedom mission."

Fuck outa here with that.

You still havent backed anything up.

You talk about niggers, but you act more like one than anyone here.

Go USA - and I mean this too.

A question for Americans.

Why are so many Americans so unwaveringly patriotic. I understand patriotism but it is the complete lack of sometimes seeing any bad in the country, when from the outside it does look as though there are lots of negatives within the US such as poverty and gangs and the whole world police aspect of the last 8 years.

Not attacking anyone, I just wondered because I tend to be very critical in my views of the UK and have never considered myself as a patriotic person.

Its either satirical or just ignorance most of the time.

Me posting fight jets and shit is me being sarcastic. I love America, but this place can be fucked up, no doubt about it.

Then you have all the retards that voted for Bush, never admitting that anything America does in this world could be wrong, or illegal.

exactly those sort of things Theo, to be honest I am not proud of it.

Whenever we see Americans on TV for instance they never know about anything outside of America, like where countries are, the complete refusal to see anything other than the American way and that America is the best and not admiting to problems that America might have.

I'm not saying that my views have changed completely, my discussion with someone in crossfire this evening has made me realise that some Americans are that way but in general I have a much softer view on Americans and know that you aren't all redneck hicks etc and that you do have a enlightened and diverse culture and I would say 12oz is the main reason for this change because pretty much everyone I converse with on this forum is American and really cool, intelligent and open people.

I don't think the British way or the European way or the American way are any better than each other, there are just different view points and different cultural backgrounds that affect the way we view things.

Well I agree with you that there are Americans that are like this. That have never left the US and always claim everything about America is "the best", can't point out a major country on a map, etc. Or some that think that America is the only country with "freedom". These are usually people from Middle America that are conservative, but they can be liberals too. For example, one liberal American on this board who I will not name has never left the US and has stated sushi or curry is "not normal" food, and only something a weirdo would eat. I think many Americans should leave the country and explore for a more enlightened view of the world. I was born & raised in the US, but have been to 19 countries and lived in 2. So I have the same thoughts you do about those ignorant Americans that think the US is the center of the universe and all other countries are just made up of "commies, ragheads, & foreigners".

So in a way a lot of Europeans are correct about *some* Americans. I just think they're wrong when they assume all Americans, or the vast majority are this way. I think the 8 years of George W. Bush greatly inflamed this European view of America, because Bush is almost the quintessential ignorant American that we are speaking of. And it reflected in his foreign policy. I heard he had only visited 4 countries prior to becoming President. Mexico, Israel, a few days in Italy, and a few days in China.

America right now is in the slow process of becoming like Western Europe & Canada as it is becoming more liberal & progressive, as we're heading towards a Universal Health Care plan. The conservatives here are scared and becoming rambunctious about this transition.

Its either satirical or just ignorance most of the time.

Me posting fight jets and shit is me being sarcastic. I love America, but this place can be fucked up, no doubt about it.

Then you have all the retards that voted for Bush, never admitting that anything America does in this world could be wrong, or illegal.

This.

Archived