Patriot Act and the Terrorist Meth Producer Watchlist

angelofdeath

http://www.tribstar.com/local/local_story_246225916.html

i've been a long time sufferer of allergies and sinus problems.

when the patriot act was reauthorized, and the over the counter medicine containing the drugs that actually worked a little bit were put 'behind' the counter and you had to surrender your ID and be put on a 'terrorist' watch list to purchase this medicine... some people thought i was an alarmist. they didnt believe it until they went to buy cold medicine. then, i was told that i would never be arrested for purchasing cough medicine, this is america! for shits sake.

over the past couple years i've heard of a few arrests, but this one i posted above caught my eye.

just a normal family, purchasing cold medicine and they get their door kicked in a few months for having the audacity to purchase medicine that the state dislikes in what they think are inappropriate quantities.

yes, the war on drugs is a great great thing, eh? and geez, you will never get arrested for buying cold medicine in america! its crazy to think so!

and people wonder why i had other people buy my yearly cold medicine for me because i wouldnt surrender my ID.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Has anyone noticed that they started cracking down on domestic speed labs and precursors around the same time all the crystal from Mexico flooded the market?

Up till around 1998 or so you could buy bottles of straight ephedrine at almost any truck stop.

Has anyone noticed that they started cracking down on domestic speed labs and precursors around the same time all the crystal from Mexico flooded the market?

Up till around 1998 or so you could buy bottles of straight ephedrine at almost any truck stop.

Its actually because there is no local supply of ephedrine / pseudoephedrine in mexico - they dont produce it in mexico, it has to be smuggled in. Mexican cartels purchase large quantities of pure lab grade ephedrine/Pseudoephedrine and have to ship it in for processing becuse the sheer demand cant be met by their local sources

Its so retarded tho

I think there's a couple things at play here.

-The media tells people how horrible speed is then goes to say "Unlike cocaine, it can be made from common household goods by a retarded 14 year old!" Hmmmmm, mixed messages?

-After the big LSD bust in 2000 the DEA needed a new villain for white people because crack is, you know, an "ethnic issue". Enter meth....except it had been around since WW2 and a problem for about the same amount of time.

-If the DHS and DEA really wanted to go after a fucked up drug that is 100% connected to terrorism, they should go after heroin which flooded the market after 9/11. The Taliban had kept the opium trade down in Afghanistan while they were in power...once they were out there was no check on people growing as many poppies as they wanted. That turned into tons of cheap dope on the market, which funded the Afghani warlords, who the US are losing a war against...

-...but speed is the scourge of Middle America because ANYONE COULD BE DOING IT...your neighbor, your employees, even your children and you won't know until it's too late.

I think speed is as bad as any powerful drug with potential for abuse. Some people can hang, some can't. That's life. I don't condone people turning into depraved tweakers but I approve even less of the government and media telling people what they should think.

Shai, you must have missed my local Sherriff who last week held a national press conference decrying the new 'soda pop' method with ALL the ingredents laid on a table in front of him. This is one week after he held a national press conference to slam the new "one pot" method...

Also, MANY of 'us' have wondered for a decade about the anti-meth billboards around here that also display all ingredients (even match heads)...

In the hometown of bathtub crank I assure you, nobody is impressed or particularly shocked.

Crank is nothing, it's all about 'grow houses' now!

DAEMONWEED!

Free the Clogged-Nose 25!

by Jeffrey A. Tucker

This morning's paper blared a headline, "25 arrested on meth-related charges." There followed a picture of all these very bad people, and an accompanying story. My first thought was, "Well, I guess I was wrong to think that the methamphetamine problem is largely hype; it's amazing that all these people had meth labs in their basements, and right here in my home town."

I turned the page.

Then I did a double take and flipped back. Aren't there a lot of women in this group? Yes, there are. Somehow when I think of women in Lee County, the image of them building meth labs doesn't quite fit. I mean, it could happen, and maybe my brain is hopelessly stuffed with stereotypes, but it still seems strange.

Then I looked again: there are old people, young people, long-haired and short-haired people, and every other type. In other words, this looks like a cross section of rural America.

"They stand accused of buying too much cold medicine."

More proof that meth making is a popular sport? Well, it was time to read the story, which turns out to be a simple cut-and-paste from the police headquarters' report.

The arrests stem from a three-month long drug investigation that targeted individuals who were purchasing over the legal amount of pseudoephedrine, according to a release from the Lee County Sheriff's Office.

Now hold on here just a minute. I personally have a heck of a time every year in this season, just getting Mucinex or Sudafed that works. Ever since George Bush nearly banned the stuff in 2005, the manufacturers have been packing the shelves with a pseudo-pseudoephedrine that might as well be a placebo. The new stuff doesn't work and everyone knows it.

To get the real stuff, you have to go to a drug store, not just the convenience store. Then you have to ask. Then you have to show your license. Then they ask how many you want and you get the sense that you are begging like an addict. Then you sign some national registry. Then later, one presumes, you are checked to make sure that you are not buying more than your officially allotted amount.

Don't lose what you have because then you can't get more. Nor can you keep some at the office, some in the car, and some at home. No, you must guard the stuff with your very life, lest you run out and are denied more by the Stuffy Nose Czar.

Before 2005, you could buy as many Sudafed packages as you did Big Mac sandwiches, and the police didn't care. Now, your 30-day allotment is nine grams. So this seems like it would be enough, but what if you are buying for two people or an entire family, or lose some, or give them away to a friend, or they fall to the back of the cabinet, or you're out of town? And how can you possibly track precisely how much you have purchased?

There is now an air of fear and threat in the process of fixing a clogged nose that wasn't there a few years ago. When I bring this subject up to people, they say, "Oh, that's plenty of Sudafed for one person, so stop your kvetching."

To me, this illustrates how regulations and rationing have a way of changing the subject from principles to practicalities. What if there were a rule that said that you can only purchase 30 Triple Whoppers from Burger King per person per month? Would we say, "Oh, no one needs more than that? "

Perhaps we would, but that is not the point. The point is that this is a violation of rights. Rationing of all types represents an egregious imposition on our right to choose. It weighs down daily life with arbitrary threats and increases the role of coercion in society – and this is true whether or not we actually bump up against the limits.

Let's get back to our friends who were snagged in this sting operation. I'm looking through their names and the charges. In every case, the charge is "unlawful possession of a precursor." The "precursor" here is Sudafed.

Can you believe it? What was lawful only a few years ago now gets you written up in the papers as a drug dealer. It ruins your life. You now have a record.

Now, two of these people have additional information by their names. One says, "unlawful possession of a controlled substance." It could be pot. It could be anything. The report doesn't say. Only one in the group has the following pasted after his name: "unlawful manufacturing of a controlled substance." This, we might presume, is the man with the meth lab; though we don't know for sure.

Looking up home-based meth labs now, I can easily see that this has to be one of the most dangerous processes ever undertaken in any home. Clearly this is not for the faint of heart. Indeed, no one would ever take the risk were the substance not illegal. The laws have ended up creating huge incentives for mad-scientist tricks at home, risking lives and turning city blocks into combustible mine fields.

Even more interesting is how the black market is finding its way around the laws. Whereas hundreds or thousands of pills used to be required to make meth, Bush's laws have led to new innovations: like the shake-and-bake method, which uses a legal number of pills and allows the user to make the stuff while driving. Yikes. That seems much more dangerous than texting while driving.

Keep in mind that all this insanity is a result of the laws themselves. People are still using the drug, but they are now risking their lives to do so. In other words, the laws are not working, except to make meth production and use even more dangerous.

Again, back to our friends in the police lineup. For all we know, these people didn't do anything related to meth production or distribution. They stand accused of buying too much cold medicine.

To put it simply, this is an outrage, and it is even more disgusting that the local press is glad to play along with it. Here we have a nice illustration of how the police are used in an age of arbitrary law and despotic consumption controls. You become a criminal merely for buying today what was legal yesterday. And then society avoids you. You might be a druggie, and the suspicion alone is enough justification for you to be robbed of all rights and utterly smashed as a human being.

In my view, all drugs should be completely legalized. People tell conjectural horror stories of Meth Inc. distributing the stuff online, but they don't shake me in the slightest. The people who use the stuff would still do so, and those like me who have no interest still would not. The key thing is that the dangers to person and property would be dramatically reduced, and essential rights to do things like unclog our stuffed noses would remain intact.

The real horror is the prohibition, which has brought about a dark despotism that everyone pretends not to notice. It now even affects our ability to innocently medicate our way out of the common cold.

This article originally appeared on Mises.org.

October 9, 2009

http://snackfeed.com/videos/detail/79230d14-a962-102c-8790-00304897c9c6/Cops--Grandma-runs-meth-lab_s=s

The government doesn't care about your well being, they care about drug dealers not paying their tribute.

The Government and a the mob are the same thing...

If you try to make money in their territory without their permission (a permit) their goons (the police) come and shake you down.

If you make money and don't give them a cut (tax evasion) their goons (the IRS) come and shake you down.

If you want to own a house, even after you buy it you still have to pay for their protection or else their goons (the sherif) comes to shake you down.

I understand paying taxes, everyone's gotta chip in to support their local municipalities. But of all the money collected, I'd say about 30% goes where it should and the other 70% is mismanaged, or pocketed.

Amazingly, I could still buy meth less than a block away from just about anything in town, including the police station. Luckily I've got a prescription for massive amounts of regular amphetamine whenever I want it, which is a good safe medication which naturally has no side effects or abuse potential.... oh wait...

Most meth, the vast majority of Americas supply, is made in Mexican superlabs in American deserts. They actually order lab grade ephedrine into Mexico, where it's completely un traced. They smuggle it in pretty easily, because ephedrine isn't a narcotic it's pretty easy to get in. Then they cook it up in America and distribute really high near lab quality meth. It's actually really easy for the cartels to make a lot of because it's so easy to get ephedrine over the boarder because it's not a scheduled substance. Distribution is a lot easier as well, since the finished product is actually created within America, as opposed to coke or heroin , which is grown elsewhere and smuggled across the border.

The fact that the government needs to regulate pill form sudephedrine to the point that drug stores barely bother to stock it in my neighborhood is just ridiculous

• 3 months later...