feds ban all fruit and candy flavored cigarets..

phillysmostwanted

the feds just banned all candy and fruit flavored cigarets and are now contemplating on banning menthol flavored cigarets and flavored cigars... stock up on your new ports and vanilla dutches while you still can

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration launched a ban on cigarettes with fruit, candy or clove flavors today.

The ban, authorized by the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, represents a national effort by the FDA to reduce an easy entry point for youth into smoking and tobacco addiction.

Smoking is the leading preventable cause of death in America, the government says.

The FDA also is considering bans on menthol cigarettes and flavored tobacco products other than cigarettes.

“Almost 90% of adult smokers start smoking as teenagers. These flavored cigarettes are a gateway for many children and young adults to become regular smokers,” said FDA Commissioner Dr. Margaret A. Hamburg. “The FDA will utilize regulatory authority to reduce the burden of illness and death caused by tobacco products to enhance our nation’s public health.”

Flavors make cigarettes and other tobacco products more appealing to youth. The FDA said studies have shown that 17-year-old smokers are three times as likely to use flavored cigarettes as smokers over the age of 25.

-- Jerry Hirsch

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/shopping_blog/2009/09/feds-ban-candy-and-cruit-flavored-cigarettes.html

l_7a699d6d52020c6c0aeaf4ae6655246e.jpg.4f9c94f930fa6095f867e9a22d3781cf.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what are you guys talking about, they try to bad flavored alcohol all the time.

when that mikes hard lemonade shit came out the government or madd or some shit was going CRAZY about how it tastes way too good to be alcohol.

basically their message is adults should never EVER enjoy themselves if it just so happens kids might enjoy it as well.

fuck kids! and i don't mean that in a pedo sense...haha.

why is it that generations of kids today get treated as if they are way more fragile than the generations that came before them? parents should be responsible for their own children, not the federal government.

boxcars got it on point:

"basically their message is adults should never EVER enjoy themselves if it just so happens kids might enjoy it as well."

kids will always try to enjoy and emulate almost anything that adults do. so i as an adult am supposed to live in this sterile world so as to not damage some fragile child's mind?

on a related note of sorts...

i had heard on several occasions that many teachers are discouraged from marking tests and papers in red ink since it might reinforce self-doubt and insecurity in kids.

really?

i seriously cant grasp shit like this. people know cigarettes cause lung disease, emphazema(sp?) cancer, death, ect.. people know what cigarettes can do... still "they" insist on trying to make everyone believe that if we didnt smoke cigs, drink, do drugs, ate healthier, that'd we'd be immortal or some bullshit, what the fuck, let the people live god damnit.

but then again, we make more money for the gov. being alive than we do being dead, coincidental that suicide is a crime?

i seriously cant grasp shit like this. people know cigarettes cause lung disease, emphazema(sp?) cancer, death, ect.. people know what cigarettes can do... still "they" insist on trying to make everyone believe that if we didnt smoke cigs, drink, do drugs, ate healthier, that'd we'd be immortal or some bullshit,

what the fuck, let the people live god damnit!

exactly!

i was talking to someone and they were saying how many local (state) governments spend tons of money on programs to try to get people to quit smoking and how if people lived healthier and quit smoking, it would save money in the long run. why does the government (local or federal) need to spend any money on educating the public or providing patches to people who want to quit smoking?

adults have the freedom of choice to smoke, eat red meat, drink, etc... they should be prepared to deal the consequences if they do, or do so in excess. i just think it's a cop out when people blame corporations for doing this or that or the government for not doing enough.

ya, its the people who are in their 40-50s starting to feel the effects of living a life full of smoking, drinking and just taking care of themselves in a shitty manner that are all like "what the fuck, no one ever told me if i drink to much it can create ulcers and destroy my esophagus and cause liver disease, liver spots and wet brain"

oh ya? cause im pretty sure they do, you just neglected their warnings.

edit: to gooch^

It's because once people get sick they become a burdon on the system. So while it is a personal choice to smoke, the ramifications affect society as a whole.

how so? sounds like that would be more of a problem with our healthcare system.