Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Waxaddict

illuminarty Paint

Not too sure what thread I coulda posted this in, but anyway.. Illuminarty have dropped their line of paint for anyone who hasn't heard.

http://www.illuminartycolors.com

£2.15 a can.

Reviews are pretty good.

http://www.writersdelight.co.uk/?p=522

http://hurtyoubad.com/?p=839

http://hurtyoubad.com/?p=1144

& a jewtube :

About to order a bunch myself, heard good things and at £2.15 a can it's a no-brainer.

It's based in the UK, but ship worldwide also I think. For UK heads at least it's good stuff.

Well I guess you're just gonna have to let us know how it is right? And I want a legit review, down to every detail. No shananigans

they dont ship across the pond chap.

Ah damn, my bad. I think they will in future however.

I'll hit you back with my thoughts once I've given it a go anyway.

I used it last week when I was in London. I was not to impressed. I personally would not buy it again. I shock the hell out of it but still it went from water to clog and back again every time I pushed the cap. The pressure was wacked out too.

Still haven't had a good session with it, but outlines a throw with the black.. and fuck me, it smells weird. Seemed ok though.

£2.05 a can atm, free delivery over £90.

Can't fault it.

The chrome last time I tried it was shit though, not like glossy chrome, more a matt grey/chrome wannabe.

• Like 1

i'm going to order some soon, its cheap as so i'm hoping there all good

not many colours tho

HMMM .. Interesting:

“Illuminarty Colors is a UK owned company and our products are designed in the UK and distributed world-wide from our UK headquarters.

Our spray paint range is manufactured in the Far East utilising the finest raw materials sourced from around the world”

Made in China no wonder the price is so cheap..

Probably the same company that makes it, makes the "other" brand as well.

If you got 30 to 50k USD head over to alibaba you'll find them in droves :lol:

Low pressure gloss? I wonder if their site made a mistake or if it's really low pressure. If so...it doesn't sound like it will perform well.

i'm going to order some soon, its cheap as so i'm hoping there all good

not many colours tho

They added a few more colours the other week.

http://hurtyoubad.com/?p=4430

Right, with the exception of the two shades of yellow and some violets I think this is currently the entire illuminarty colour range.

This seemed the quickest / most accurate way of showing you how the paint looks. Pretty innit.

Ok, so we’ve got; Yellow Green, Mint Green, Water Blue, Ultramarine Blue, Signal Blue, Sky Blue, Light Green, Blue Lilac, Traffic Purple, Telemagenta, Heather violet, Light Pink, Rose, Ruby Red, Signal Red, Vermilion, Pure Orange, Pastel Orange, Ochre Brown, Beige, Signal Grey, Signal White, Jet Black and Chrome Silver.

Think that’s right….Anyway a proper detailed review will follow this soon, but initial reactions to my standard paint test (ie: Will it spray evenly on a cold day without me shaking the tins at all?) were:

Yep. Still smells like Illuminarty!

It’s pretty thick and the pressure was high, but with the standard cap that all colours come with it was slow enough for me to do thin lines comfortably.

I was pleasantly surprised at how punchy some of the colours were. The blues and the ruby red felt particularly satisfying coming out of the tin as they covered well and are nice and bright.

I was initially a bit surprised to see that a previous favourite of mine “yellow blue” was no longer available, but in fact illuminarty have more than covered it by increasing the available colours so as you can see in the photo, people who are particularly keen on doing fades and fancy stuff like that are much better catered for.

Presumably to help with overheads and allow illuminarty to bring the price per tin down to £2.05, there are no longer colour indicator “donuts” on the tins.

Instead you get stickers on the tins – one with the colour name on the tins and two with the actual colour on – one on the tin and one on the lid.

I can see that some people might consider that to be a step backwards, but for the price you can’t get too upset over little things like that in my opinion. It certainly wouldn’t convince me to pay more for an alternative, but consider yourselves warned if you are going blind or are heavily reliant on them.

Illuminarty currently seems to have cornered the market for affordable paint made specifically for writers, so in terms of direct comparisons it’s actually quite tricky…

I don’t think it would be giving too much away to say it’s a pretty safe bet that it comes out of the same factory as Ironlak, and while brands like MTN 94 or montanna Gold have larger ranges and presumably more / higher pigment in their paints, I’d happily buy Illuminarty because it’s an English company that really is doing something positive for UK graff by making paint as affordable as possible + when it comes down to simple economics, you’ll get more tins for your money than with any other brand.

I can’t make any claims about it’s ability to hold up / not fade over time as I haven’t been able to conduct any long term outdoor tests (thanks for that, council buffers) although I suspect that might be the biggest test for this paint. If you’ve got any conclusive experiences either way then let us know.

It is what it is and makes no claims to be anything other than affordable spray paint with a slowly but surely increasing range.

If you are particularly snobby about using supposed “premium” brands then maybe this isn’t for you…but if that is the case then clearly you’ve never struggled with a plastikote or carplan on a bitterly cold day so you’re not a proper writer anyway. + Obviously illuminarty far outshines anything you’d find in your local Homebase or BnQ just ’cause it’s cheap it doesn’t mean its not good.

Basically, anyone who wants cheap paint in bright colours will be hard pushed to find a better alternative this side of racking.

the cans aren't that ugly. if i lived by a shop that carried this paint, i would definitely pick up some tins for that sweet price.

i have used the stuff, got 3 batches of 12, go's a long way, stinks, dusty, on a whole i think its OK, not the best, not the worst, heard bad reviews on ironlak would love to compare the two.

£1.85 can last tym i checked, it being made in china makes sense

dumbass bump, and this should have been in spraypaint thread