Windows 7

dwel

So I just setup windows 7 ultimate on my lappy.. Kinda feeling it. Has the bells and whistles of vista (minus the memory hogging) and the functionality/stability of XP. Anyone else try it out? Essential apps/drivers/etc that should be run on 7? I was one of those people that didnt upgrade to xp from 98 for almost 2 years after it's release, so I am very impressed how quickly it has improved from the worthless depths of vista.

Discuss.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I've been using Windows 7 since the initial beta release early this year and it has been nothing but reliable. Since the RTM release I've moved from my Vista media center to Windows 7 Media center on my media PC and moved from XP on my laptop (32 bit due to compatibility issues with some of my VPN software).

Well worth upgrading from XP as it has far more comprehensive security features included and runs at a similar memory footprint or less when optimized so performance is increased.

Not a bad word to say about it so far - it's worth keeping the onboard firewall enabled for the moment as their is a known exploit of the file sharing service (SMB) but this is a minimal threat having tested it - ignore the hype it's not as big a deal people would have you believe. It's no worse then any of the still open vulnerabilities in XP SP2 and Vista.

I have been testing windows 7 x86 and x64 for over a year now it is great, like thread starter said, its windows vista with maxed out GUI with XP engine, i have had windows 7 running on machines as low as pII with 256 RAM with minimal hiccups. Its great on system resources and way better on battery life on notebooks/netbooks, system sharing made way simple with homegroup and the best of all its great with touch screens.

and I have no idea what people always complained about vista for. People are reluctant to CHANGE the main reason Vista was brought out was for the fact people needed to upgrade old dinosaur computers ( this is for performance reasons and most of all security standards and get people moved on to the x64 bit technology that has been in waiting for like 20 years now.

Over the past year I have been thinking why Macs are great for business, Apple moves to new technologies very rapidly if you are not on the bandwagon then you get left in the dust , I think this is great for the world so we do not get stuck in a rut.

I got a little off subject there but its a good read.

We are coming to the end of the age of having our own personal computers, Its all moving to cloud computing with the new 4g networks using the analog spectrum "wifi" this is giving us speeds of 10MB d/l which is like standard highspeed cable and DSL networks for homes which is plenty fast for right now, then. As for the cloud computing, we are all going to be getting assigned an IPv6 IP address when it fully converts these are going to be handed out like social security numbers so we can log into our cloud and pull data from the outer interwebs

After being a windows user forever.. I'm about to go out and buy a mac. Windows 7 just seems boring and over complicated. I'm a net ops engineer and the new mac os has been put together so well for the technical IT professional. I think windows has finally lost the war.

ipodspinxx3.gif

FOR FUCKING HOURS.

my imac takes less than 10 seconds to start up, about 3 to completely shut down, and maybe once a day i have to wait for something to load, but never longer than 2 or 3 seconds. when i click on safari it is up and the homepage is loaded almost instantly, traditional memory hogs like photoshop take about 3 seconds to completely load, and my itunes (which has about 40gb worth of music, not counting movies etc) takes about 2 seconds to load.

A properly tuned Mac is fast. It's when they get old (the product cycle is six months to a year) with little maintenance and all kinds of automated updates that they start to bog down...compounding this is the fact that most Mac owners don't know how to clear caches and dump temp files...if you do that once a month everything will work fine.

Windows is a totally different beast. I have grudgingly begun to like it and make the best of it. It is inferior to OS X in a lot of ways but then again there's better OSes out there than OS X.

The problem is that most people treat their computers worse they treat their cars, and when things go wrong they blame it on ___________________ (Steve Jobs or Bill Gates can go here) when it's their own fault. That's fine with me, I make money off those people...but it's sad when I see people adamantly choosing to be ignorant.

• Like 1

snow-leopard-box.jpg

i liked it better when it was called LINUX. Snow leopard is merely a fancy windowmanager for the x windows system as far as i'm concerned.

Edit: and just to pre-empt it, men with penises so large and in charge they can chop fucking trees down use gimp. fuck a photoshop. and furthermore, you can run photoshop off of wine if you're a trained monkey

...i was using win 2k until vista came out, then finally switched to xp when after 189738127312 updates, it didn't suck AS much.

This.

I used Win2k for yeeeaars, but bit the bullet just over a year ago and switched to XP Pro. 2k was by far the best Windows, evar. I hated the original XP interface, but changed it to classic and it is just like 2k.

i liked it better when it was called LINUX.

It's not Linux, it's BSD/Mach kernel based. Which was a smart move- that allowed Apple to exploit the BSD license, so they could retain control over the kernel/applications and how everything is managed and they're getting better at doing that. I think Snow Leopard is going to be a great system, Leopard is pretty damn good and as long as they stay on that path and improve on what's right I think they're headed in the right direction.

Don't get me wrong, I love open source (which you can tap into if you know how to install Darwin and maintain it), but if OS X were to be totally open it would be a humongous train wreck and that would sink Apple as being the biggest consumer level supporter of Unix.

Linux is great for people who have the time and know how to master it, but most people aren't going to get it even though it's superior in so many ways. Unfortunately, Ubuntu is still over the heads of most people who are used to Windows, regardless of the endorsements they've gotten from the netbook scene and Dell.

ive used kubuntu before, didnt really float my boat.

i loved it except for the fact that everything was so large as in the text and buttons and mouse and stuff.

edit: i see they have a netbook edition. anyone used this before? "This interface is optimised for a retail sales environment." kinda turns me off of it but does anyone have any experience with it?