pooter question

kaesthebluntedwonder

i operate on a toshiba satellite laptop and lately it's been giving me some trouble, but i don't really know too much about computers...it's slow at times, it freezes, and even after i properly shut it down when i turn it back on there's a box that says "improper shutdown detected, checking discs for errors" or whatever, and if i don't press the cancel button it freezes. so what i was thinking is just remove windows from the computer all together and reinstall it. i know i would lose everything but i don't care. i don't have much to be losing anyway and a fresh start is just what it might need. so please, if you are knowledgeable with computers let me know if that's a good idea, thanks

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

a format of the good ol' hard drive may help drasticly...if youve defraged and have run scandisk and everything is in working order in regards to your hard drive being error free and properly defragmented but your laptop is still giving you shit, just format the bastard...i dont work much on laptops so i dont know how it would differ from formating a desktop, but it should be the same...make sure your bios can auto detect your cdrom if your not using the factory included restore disks...other wise you will need a bootdisk...on my old computer i would format, reinstall dos, reload my dos cdrom drivers, install windows 9x, then install nessesary software....on my new computer i format and boot off the windows 9x cd since mr bios can autodetect cdrom drives now...if you are inexperienced with the procedures of formating your hard drive i recommend taking it to a professional or someone you know who can do it for you...be aware that any shop you take it to will rip you off for a decent amount of money...if i lived near you i would do it for free for you...it really is a simple procedure if you know what the deal is....

Originally posted by cmeup

and by satelitte do you mean you get satelitte internet service to your lab top? how much is a service as fast as cable or dsl or satelitte if thats possible to a labtop cost? anyone?

satelittes are a model that toshiba makes...id prefer a toshiba tecra personally....

if your using a windows 9x operating system that might be where your problems are stemming from. I had 98 for a while and I HATE that operating system. If I were you I would look into picking up a copy of winxp. I'm sure you can find a freind that has a copy on disk that they can burn you. If that doesn't work a reformat will probably be your best bet.

Archived