Just how illegal is this?

acer910

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the prize really is 23 grand, i didnt lie about it because you cant find out what contest im talking about because the money is won in 2 stages.

my friend wont see a dime of the money, the company he works for will. thats the only reason why i settled for a laptop.

i lied about who the contest was for, whos throwing the contest, how many votes and the deadline.

and yeah, il post pics of the laptop with whatever you guys want on the screen...

I personally think fucking over a nonprofit even for the benefit of another nonprofit is shitty. So it goes though.

im not fucking over another non profit, im fucking over middleaged douchebags who want to "do something" about the bad things in the world who posted a bulletin on myspace and had all their friends vote for them.

i looked into that too, the 2 people in the lead are morons.

the way the website is set up is there are different "ideas" and you can "endorse" or "add to" them. anyone can post an idea.

there are no rules.

i searched over the entire site, theres not a single official rule.

so technically, im not breaking the rules.

i work for a completely unrelated nonprofit (this is how that guy knows me, i set up their wifi) and you would not believe the shit these nonprofits do for money. imagine how tough it is for nonprofits in this economy...

If you're not cheating, you're not trying...$23,000 is the max they are giving away?? sounds like you're safe. They don't have infrastructure to track shit with 23k as the prize....let us know the end results.

its not even 23 grand in one lump either. theres several tiers, the way it works is the person who leads for one week gets an amount, then the person who leads the next week gets some more and so on for 2 more weeks.

i looked at stats on the other 2 "ideas" and they have basically maxed out their voting power. everyone in their contacts has voted because for the past couple of days they maybe had one or two votes.

as long as i average atleast 50 "endorsements" per day, i cant be beat.

your a strange guy acer. im not sure what it is you are and are not lying about. you said all the details were a lie except that its your buddies business and its non profit and its in a contest to get emails for 23grand. then you were like actually you can never find it because its in a 2 part contest. which we all now know. regardless, you seem full of bs.

no, you just arent reading hard enough.

its not a contest to get emails... someone else said its probly just a scam to get emails to sell to spam sites. which its not, its a contest to see what idea the most people like so that idea will win funding.

its not my buddies nonprofit, its the one he works for.

it doesnt matter if you know its a 2 part contest. you still wouldnt be able to find what im talking about with what little information i gave out and thats all that matters.

okay, you may think im strange just because i dont give out loads of info via the web. the more confusing it is and the more you think im full of shit the better.

i was simply asking how much trouble this nonprofit could get into if someone found out how they got that money, it was purely out of curiosity as i find it kinda interesting how someone this high on the ladder in a nonprofit is willing to pay someone to cheat an online contest for money.

and what??? who said anything about money in a bank account and fleeing a country?? my payement is a laptop, i dont even have a bank account so whenever i do get payed by anyone of the people i help its always in cash

If the donor finds out that the winner played the system due to lax or absent rules, then there's nothing stopping him from saying "This was a bad idea, I'm not awarding the money" and starting a new contest with clearer terms and rules.

If your friend really wants/needs the money, he should approach them with the facts- that having a Myspace contest to award money to nonprofits is stupid- then hit them with a real proposal that makes sense and caters to whatever these guys want to hear.

Or scam away.

This whole thing sounds fishy...I've worked with nonprofits before and I've dealt with my fair share of weirdo venture capitalists with more money that sense. Then again, I wouldn't put it past someone to think this is a great idea.

Nonprofits are shady as fuck, I could list several examples of shit I've seen but that's off topic and I'm fucking lazy.

It comes down to how much money is going towards the project and development versus what the staff is paying itself.

IMO, $23,000 is small potatoes if you have any kind of serious project on tap.

its not a myspace contest haha

It might as well be. It's a popularity contest, what makes you think these other guys aren't trying to game this too?

IMO, $23,000 is small potatoes if you have any kind of serious project on tap.

i think this is why he is getting me to cheat for it because i know hes gotten grants worth over 10 mil before. he probly sees this as no big deal and half expects it to not even work.

It's a popularity contest, what makes you think these other guys aren't trying to game this too?

its not necessarily meant to just be a popularity contest. the website its being held on is made up of professors, ex peacecorps workers and people like that. so even though it is a popularity contest, there is some logic behind why someone picks a certain idea to endorse.

they arent doing what im doing because like i said, these are all "do-gooders" and the numbers dont add up.

but there is one thing that i havent quite managed to figure out yet.

(these are made up numbers)

the 2 leading people are within a small margin of eachother in votes.

the rest arent even close to overtaking them.

im at 3rd place already after only a days work and im not even half way to the leaders.

i havent managed to figure out why those two ideas are so popular. i guess they just have alot of friends with alot of email addresses.

sounds very similar to what happened to a web developer that was on this website after it's inception. I want to say he got 1yr house arrest, had to return the money and pay some pretty steep fines. I believe the payout was pretty similar too.

he got put on house arrest for doing something illegal within his house...

and the money isnt going to me.