Setting up a web radio station. Anyone know how?

earl broclo ESQ

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've been fooling about with a program called virtual dj, there seems to be a function where you can broadcast internet radio.....heres a screen shot

pictureforearl.jpg

i strongly recomend this program to any one, its got some really cool functions like the sampler/tons of effecs and you can even get time coated vinyl(not really unique, but still) the only problam is it likes to connect to the internet and check if you have a legit version.

i don't know if this will help but hey at least i try'd

p.s can i do a mix of strange overtones/ trip hop/ dub(not step) and acid jazz. i live in australia so i'm not gonna be feeding any of the major time slots

p.s can i do a mix of strange overtones/ trip hop/ dub(not step) and acid jazz. i live in australia so i'm not gonna be feeding any of the major time slots

If this takes off, we will most likely have a submission process. I'd definitely be interested to hear that mix.

As for the radio station taking off? Right now Raven is revamping the site completely, so the station probably won't be able to launch until after that, way after that. The set up of the radio site and recording equipment is also going to take time and money, so don't anticipate anything really soon.

Is there a built in mixer with that program, if so, how many channels?

If this takes off, we will most likely have a submission process. I'd definitely be interested to hear that mix.

As for the radio station taking off? Right now Raven is revamping the site completely, so the station probably won't be able to launch until after that, way after that. The set up of the radio site and recording equipment is also going to take time and money, so don't anticipate anything really soon.

If you want to get this off the ground right now, you should ask around and see if any of the other sites 12 oz is affiliated with have some bandwidth to spare so you can run a Shoutcast for, say, 10 listeners. The only way you're going to know if it's going to be successful is to try it out on a trial basis and see if there's interest, talk is cheap...if Raven sees that it's actually bringing people to the site it might get more priority.

Yeah, I think it's just two channels but I didn't really dig too deep into Virtual DJ. It's an awesome program and does exactly what it promises, but it's really fucking complicated and loaded with features to the point where it gets in the way sometimes.

Since you have a Mac, you should give this a shot. It's pretty simple and I think you can get a decent version for free-

http://www.baytex.net/party/

yer the program has your basic 2 channel mixer, with eq's. i'm not to sure if you can use the mixer with two line in's and a midi controller, i've never try'd but i don't think you can. there still seems to be a provision for an input ie mic/ external mixer (or you can run each deck through two sound cards into your mixer which isn't really what you want to do with a radio show, but this feature works good for haveing a backup track for mixing in stuff you have on your computer). i had a brief shot off trying to get my laptop mic to work via virtaul dj and i couldn't get any sound, also i couldn't find a volume control for the mic. mind you the program shut down after 1 minute( i have to get a better version)

as far as the mix goes i will try and get something to you as soon as i can. i'm just gonna be really busy this week as i plan on moving to the other side of the country on thursday. infact i don't even kn ow why i'm on this website right now. i've got so many things to do(oh well)

but yer i just like the idea of bieng in a position where i am putting music out there for people to hear. esspiaclly stuff that doesn't normally get heard. and i would really like the opportunity to help out on your radio station instead of the only people hear my mixes/ songs/ remixes bieng the neighbour's. i am a very patient man and i understand that a lot of work will need to be put into this. as i played the concept of an internet radio show in my head i thought "fuck. i want to do that" hence the attempt to get a time slot and the enthusiasm.

Don't worry about making the mix anytime soon. I was just curious because I like that style of music.

As for YOU having a radio show? I don't think it will be like that. I have a feeling the station will be split into two sections. One being a radio show, the other being downloadable mixes. The radio shows will (hopefully) be broadcast live from NYC, and hosted by a select group of characters. None of this has really been worked out in fine detail yet, but the radio shows will be more like talk shows and the mixes just straight mixes with some 12oz call signs added in.

"i just like the idea of bieng in a position where i am putting music out there for people to hear."

This is why I was amped to play on that Daily Sessions site. In fact that's the only reason I still buy records and play out when I get the chance. No fame or riches, I just like playing music I like for others and seeing their response.

So yeah, this probably won't be happening for a long time which is why I originally didn't want to come off like I was asking for 12oz specifically. When it does happen, you'll know and you can send us mixes then. If you do put anything up in the mean time, let me know. But no rush, take care of your real life responsibilities first.

If you want to get this off the ground right now, you should ask around and see if any of the other sites 12 oz is affiliated with have some bandwidth to spare so you can run a Shoutcast for, say, 10 listeners. The only way you're going to know if it's going to be successful is to try it out on a trial basis and see if there's interest, talk is cheap...if Raven sees that it's actually bringing people to the site it might get more priority.

The thing is this won't be like a 24/7 live radio station. I have a feeling it will start off with a few talk show style shows broadcast live at scheduled times, then archived and posted. The live aspect is to incorporate the forum heads so they have interaction (ie. through a thread, tiny chat, etc.) The mixes will be uploaded more like podcasts. I'm also hoping to do this to incorporate the forum heads as well by letting them send in mixes. So broadcasting a 24/7 radio station isn't really the idea RIGHT NOW. Who knows what the future could hold if this jumped off though.

Like I said, don't hold your breath on this one. It's not top priority right now, so it's back burner material for later.

I'd be on this station as soon as it launches.

Though I'm not too into talk show style broadcasts.

I'd give them a try though and see what happens from there.

I'm all for the whole, send your own mix thing,

I got a couple of reggae mixes saved somewhere, if you guys get it started, I'll find a way to send 'em to ya, if you'll play reggae mixes that is.

i've been fooling about with a program called virtual dj, there seems to be a function where you can broadcast internet radio.....heres a screen shot

pictureforearl.jpg

i strongly recomend this program to any one, its got some really cool functions like the sampler/tons of effecs and you can even get time coated vinyl(not really unique, but still) the only problam is it likes to connect to the internet and check if you have a legit version.

i don't know if this will help but hey at least i try'd

find a cracked version and then firewall it so it cant accept any incoming connections that usually solves the problem for programs like that. if not then set it so it cant accept connections through the port it uses.

that's funny. your about the only member ive seen so far that also uses Virtual DJ.

Ive been using virtual Dj for years now and still havent set up the turntables to it.

I dont know if you know this answer, but i want to buy some CD Turntables that have a vynal on top to scratch the cds.

Can you burn or buy time codec CD for virtual Dj to recognize? or does it have to be vynal?