Metal Ties

herbsyntec

an end to wooden railroad ties, more and more computer controlled rail traffic flow, perhaps robot engines and possibly a revival of electric freight service.

In another thread in here Kabar said this. In the local yard and some lay-ups and various spots, I have seen a shift towards this. I cannot figure out a pattern. Is anyone on the know on this? Is there a legitimate shift to metal ties? Is it hitting any main lines?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I havebt seen any metal ties myself. I have seen some newer concrete ties. But thats mostly around new or renovated train & subway stations. I think its only for economics, that they are useing the concrete. Woods not going anywhere any time soon. I have been seeing alot of working being done to the lines around my way. Swaping out old rails and laying new WOOD ties. I Actaully saw a local fr8 workers today laying new wood ties on branch section of a fr8 line.

Got any flicks of the metal ties??

Concrete ties and would ties are both being used, as well as metal ties. Concrete ties are being used in yard situations where they new heavier cars such as excess height cars and reefers are being placed. Mainline operations in the powder river basin also use concrete ties.

They also have composite railroad ties made of plastics and polymers

Yeah, i was gonna include that, but i dont think people care as much as they make out, I think maybe 1 percent or less of freight writers actually care about freights

agreed. and it isn't that surprising... although i've found that the more i know about freights the easier it is to paint them and the more i understand about where my work will travel.

i'm not sure why metal ties would be used though, it seems that they would deteriorate faster than wood, be much louder, and generally more of a nuisance. ties from recycled plastic would be great for all parties: MOW wouldn't have to replace ties that often, and plastic could end up somewhere other than a dump where it takes 4000 years to decompose, or however long it takes.

agreed. and it isn't that surprising... although i've found that the more i know about freights the easier it is to paint them and the more i understand about where my work will travel.

i'm not sure why metal ties would be used though, it seems that they would deteriorate faster than wood, be much louder, and generally more of a nuisance. ties from recycled plastic would be great for all parties: MOW wouldn't have to replace ties that often, and plastic could end up somewhere other than a dump where it takes 4000 years to decompose, or however long it takes.

your right this is the best section on this whole site but people only paint trains cause its the cool thing to do now a days anyways

Those ties are for a new amtrak storage track at a station they are retrofitting to allow layovers of trains. I couldnt tell you why they are untreated. Probably because its Amtrak.

I dont know if its worth mentioning, but because they are hollow, you can stack many many more in the same amount of space as a regular tie.

• 2 weeks later...

only bad thing I see with metal ties, imagine areas of the country, like New England, where temperature changes, from balls hot, to freezing temperatures. All metal warps... It just seems ignorant for them to use metal ties, unless it's like a temporary deal, like building a layup in a parking lot for some reason, etc. like pictured above.