Textbook Disappreciation Thread

Richard Dunn

I'm about to drop two bills on my spanish book alone. Luckily i sit next to my friend in math and she shares her book, but I still have to spend 35$ on a serial number for the online part required for homework. This new company is making everyone at my school buy new books, there aren't any used copies to buy from last year. gay gay gay

Any of yall have any luck finding cheaper prices for yours online?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Ebay

Half.com

The textbook gig is a scam. Such a fuckin' rip-off. Then when you go to sell them back they are either not buying them back or will only give you a small percentage.

I always waited a week or two to see if you really needed the text. I've taken some classes where we never once cracked open the "required texts" or needed to; everything was based on the lectures and everything discussed in class.

Another alternative, which is slightly ghetto fabulous, (but cheaper, so who fuckin' cares): See if they have the text at the schools library and just "rent" it for the semester, or just photocopy the pages you need from someone as you go along. $200 vs. $20 in copies from Kinkos, or totally for free is you have access to a copy machine.

You can always get a job at the bookstore (or get friendly with someone who already works there) and get it the old fashioned way....steal it.

Also, try looking for torrents of PDF's online. You never know!

goooood fucking thread. fuck books.

i buy mine at amazon. usually delivers well. decent shipping, decent prices.

don't mess with textbook-specific retailers or sites (varsitybooks.com) or college/university bookstores unless you can't avoid it. what you gain from it being several steps away is lost in price many, many times. what gooch said about waiting to buy books is entirely true.

also, make friends with upperclassmen in your major. they are often willing to sell you books for good prices cause they know they'll get raped by buyback places as well. i took a bio class where you had to buy the pages for the book, but there wasn't a binding, so you had to buy a binder for it too, and then of course you couldn't sell em back.

if you can steal books... do it.

I stopped buying any textbooks my sophomore year in college. I'd occassionally buy course packets if the prof put one together with all the readings from various books, but that was about it. You can find a lot of full textbooks, or ones with a missing page or two every 10-20 pages on google books, and you can also find torrents or downloads for a lot of them. I had classes that expected me to buy like 4+ books, yet we'd only read selected chapters from them. Fuck that, i wasn't trying to spend an extra 500-1000 on top of my tuition.

• Like 1

You can always get the five finger discount at the university bookstore. They are always packed the first week of class. There is no way those kids working there can keep track of everyone.

Amazon.com and half.com are pretty reliable as well. Don't buy your textbooks for full price. That's for suckers aka freshmen.

yeah man. my russian textbook this year is $bananas.95

im only taking 2 classes though, russian and furniture making.. luckily you dont need a text book for furniture making.

i bet your parents are proud your using their money well.

(kidding bruh)

i took the most retarded classes and ironically i learned more int hem then i did in any other course.

Ebay

Half.com

The textbook gig is a scam. Such a fuckin' rip-off. Then when you go to sell them back they are either not buying them back or will only give you a small percentage.

I always waited a week or two to see if you really needed the text. I've taken some classes where we never once cracked open the "required texts" or needed to; everything was based on the lectures and everything discussed in class.

THIS^^^

Another alternative, which is slightly ghetto fabulous, (but cheaper, so who fuckin' cares): See if they have the text at the schools library and just "rent" it for the semester, or just photocopy the pages you need from someone as you go along. $200 vs. $20 in copies from Kinkos, or totally for free is you have access to a copy machine.

You can always get a job at the bookstore (or get friendly with someone who already works there) and get it the old fashioned way....steal it.

Also, try looking for torrents of PDF's online. You never know!

or just photocopy the pages you need from someone as you go along.

or do it at work and not pay for a thing and get paid making copies of your books for school. did it for 2 semesters save like 2G...

or just photocopy the pages you need from someone as you go along.

or do it at work and not pay for a thing and get paid making copies of your books for school. did it for 2 semesters save like 2G...

or totally for free is you have access to a copy machine.

or totally for free is you have access to a copy machine.

but in all seriousness

i need my books by tuesday i think...

and i cant find my books anywhere on the internet, except for the schools website. this sucks ass. ive already spent like 600 on classes alone.

like i said, wait it out a week or two till class starts.

worst case, copy any important shit from someone in class to hold you over.

what texts do you need?