Snow Leopard

Abracadabra

boosting the ram will help you run multiple programs at once a lot faster, or have a ton of things going on in one program. if you want to increase buffering speed, i think you're going to have to upgrade your internet to receive more bandwith, or see if whatever program you're streaming with has a setting that allows you to increase the buffer speed.

you can get external hard drives wherever now a days. lacie makes good ones with a firewire cable that work very well with any mac. i think apple even has some kind of synchronization program that backs up your computers files onto an external hard drive. i think its called time machine, but im not certain.

nothing that some google searches cant answer

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest Ginger Bread Man

good thread.

ralph,

as hachi machi said boosting ram will allow quicker start up/multiple programs running at the same time.

the start up in the fan may indicate your machine needs more ram and is trying to "crunch"

more data with what the processor has available. having more ram is always useful unless you are talking 16gb+ because at that point not too many programs can take advantage of the potential. seeing as you are on a macbook, the last statement doesn't apply to you.

as far as your images go. what is the total size of your hard drive? what percentage of the drive is free? usually when you get into the 75% capacity area you will notice a drop in performance. this is because the machine will grab your drive as a virtual ram device which means more hd space=mo betta.

the battery issue. all that is is that your battery can no longer "hold" the charge. it is depleted in other words however this should not hinder performance in any way as being hooked to any power source<battery/plugged in> does the exact same function.

you can install 10.5 by searching for torrents and installing the new os.

i had an older g4 running 10.4.11 and it was/is going strong however it definitely needed a ram upgrade.

a ram upgrade shouldn't cost you all too much. check this site out. http://www.memoryupgrade.pro/ or http://www.macramdirect.com/

hope this helped

also

anyone running pro apps with this?

i have an 8core with 8gig ram running @3.2ghz and fcs 6 and cs4 among other apps. being my primary workstation i want to know stability/compatibility with the older fcp. i know fcp7 is fully supported but my intel doesn't like fcp5<licensed> and i just bought fcs6 although its an academic version.

only reason id find buying this feasible is upgrading to fcs7 first which wont happen for a couple months.

There's an 8 core at my work running snow leopard, Ive not yet put FCP on it because we just use it for capturing right now, but I need to

that'll be my next project and I'll get back to you on it

As for me, I'm die hard PPC

I hate the general instability of intel chips! G5 is ok, but I won't use a intel G4 laptop unless I have too

im using cs4, final cut and a bunch of others, some work fine but my font browser for instance doesn't work anymore.

Ralf go in to: applications> utilities > disk utility. open that and and select your base hard drive click the verify permissions button and if you need it, the repair permissions. you'll see another set of buttons for the Disk. Do the verify and then the repair. you can just click repair but im not sure if it will show you as much diagnostic info vs clicking verify first.

Basically this is similar to defragmenting a hard drive in windows.

On 10.5 it works really well and should be faster and capable of handling a lot more applications then 10.4. but in the end its preference. give it a try its easy to find online for a free demonoid is down otherwise id send you a link.

good luck

• 5 weeks later...
I'm still rocking 10.4.10 and its staying that way. nothing newer till I get a better machine.

finally upgraded yesterday and picked up a new 20" imac (2.6dual, 2gb ram, 320gb hd) with snow leopard on it. I hobbled along with that last machine so long I forgot how long its been...this thing is fucking retardedly fast. loving snow leopard so far...everything runs so smoothly.

24" iMac 3.06 Ghz 4GB ram 250Gb hd on Leopard and it's pretty damn fast.

got a new 17" macbook pro 2.8GHz duo 4GB ram 500Gb hd on snow leopard, and it's extremely fast. snow leopard is awesome, everything's popping up as soon as I click, no loading frames or bouncing icons. click it and it's open.

Guest 50million

i just got a new mac and ive never owned one before. anything i should download? anywhere i can get photoshop, microsoft word, excel and power point? i use demonoid but its down