Inglorious Basterds gifs

Manute Bol

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw Inglorious Basterds and have yet to fully mull through the flesh if this film and so I'm using the venue as a way to do said mulling. Excuse what comes, please.

This is an odd film, and if you dislike it you may dislike District 9 too, because if you critique a movie based on what kind of movie the trailer sold you on, you'll miss out on what it really is. On the contrary, it seems that for Tarantino in oddity — in images and affects that meander and linger, that cut and tease (and 'though i wasnt high when i watched it, i definitely felt marijuana's psychoactive presence) — there is a certain freedom, dignity, and justice.

The undeniable climax of the film — we'll have to return to what a climax is — is exquisite, mad, and patently untrue. That is, in a film that takes on the timbre of the historical, Inglorious Basterds conspicuously flaunts its inaccuracy. This is not "Valkyrie" (a film I'll admit I have not seen; and want to see just to get a glimpse of Tom Cruise as a pirate Nazi with a heart — which may be stranger than anything QT can create).

In disregarding historical fact in a film that seemingly borrows much from the historical record, Tarantino makes a claim about the status of film: it is distinctly not a referential creature. It is not beholden to the presumed real; it is the real. Yes, the reel is the real and vice versa.

And yet then what of propaganda? What of Nazi film making? If we disregard film's obligation to the presumed real, then does it not open the door to what some might call irresponsible image making? To mass coercion?

Inglorious Basterds takes this question head on — and sideways and backwards and not at all. It is a nasty, funny, bloody, beautiful film that is itself multiple films, or at least a film with multiple threads. It begins one way, moves to another, then picks up the earlier thread years later then watches the two threads collide, synergistically and indifferently, in a fuck you all, we win, woopeee of an event.

And this — this power of film to literally burn the audience, to move them, and to do so with no allegiance whatsoever to ideology, concept, or narrative — is Tarantino's answer to propaganda. Film serves no end other than itself — and that itself is (in)glorious and may be a basterd but it is free and lovely.

Inglorious Bastereds is a fuck you to the totalitarian cinema of any sort. This film does not flow and build. It builds, jumps, forgets, remembers, jumps, rams. And yet it cops the thrilling tension of narrative. Scene after scene is ripe and peculiarly taut. Resolve is often surprising and grotesque in a Coen brothers sort of way.

And tempered with the beautiful, tender, rowdy, and heart breaking (sort of). In these moments, strewn together in odd ways, there is a power and a love that is palpable and real.

• Like 1

Yeah soup, I totally get you man, you sound really smart..

NOW MAKE UR MOUTH LOOK LIKE A BUTTHOLE

2j5eo9.jpg

Guest 50million

Inglorious Bastereds is a fuck you to the totalitarian cinema of any sort. This film does not flow and build. It builds, jumps, forgets, remembers, jumps, rams. And yet it cops the thrilling tension of narrative. Scene after scene is ripe and peculiarly taut. Resolve is often surprising and grotesque in a Coen brothers sort of way.

And tempered with the beautiful, tender, rowdy, and heart breaking (sort of). In these moments, strewn together in odd ways, there is a power and a love that is palpable and real.

yeah so was kill bill and most of his movies.

and good job! you can analyze a movie plot. woo.

with that said: I.B. was a great movie, district 9 was entertaining too. two thumbs up for both from me.

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT

In laments terms: QT's a psychotically analytical pothead. If you watch movies from the 60's when tons of directors were experimenting with hallucinogens you have a lot more of these kinds of films where the scene meander away from the plot and go on amazing tangents. Watch space odyssey.

Yo boris: http://www.watch-movies-links.net/