veg verge.

complex

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 weeks later...

Do you know what they feed and treat commercial cattle/poultry with? (I'm not going to tell you, do the research on your own.)

I don't really think or talk about this subject much but when I do I'm pretty glad I stopped eating meat.

edit- When people ask me questions like "where do you come up with all this stuff?" I recommend a couple of books to them, first one being The Secret Life of Plants by Peter Tompkins and Christopher Bird. Following that I recommend that they read Meetings With Remarkable Men by G.I. Gurdjieff, more as an afterward...there's a connection, but you have to be paying attention to notice it.

I grow my own, well not really me but I get most of my beef and all of my chicken from farms my friends own, I'm pretty on top of how those animals are cared for as I run both farms for 2 weeks a year when the owners go on vacation. I'm ok with it. I'm also not turned off by the USDA standards and the mass production rules. A lot of it seems inhumane but, as the animals aren't human, I feel not too bad about it. BTW, none of my friend's farms are large enough to employ these practices, this is more 'boutique farming' than anything resembling the commercial production schemes.

I agree that mass farming is kind of creepy I find that most of my attention goes towards the massive mechanization of stuff like isolated laying coops and the food conveyors... Honestly, the machinery interests me more that the plight of the birds or their eventual destruction. It's not the actual mechanics that impress me, it's the scale.

*edit: most cows I know just stand around and eat, but I've been on a few dairy farms and I'm equally impressed by the technology. Something about stainless steel next to naked flesh just seems like artistic fodder... of course I have tried several robotic re-animations of various roadkill so I might be a little, uh... jaded.

price of being a veggie. higher then eating meat...

totally untrue, unless your money is spent on buying expensive meat alternatives..

vegan seitan (wheat gluten) can be made very easily to replace meat,

other than that, beans and rice are the way to go..

can make soy meats too, and bean burgers...

if you diy it its really more inexpensive than eating meat

plus you can always dumpster plenty of veggies and food..

• 2 months later...

In other countries people are usually vegetarians because of the high cost of meat. What makes meat cheap in america is the way in which we manufacture it.

The only reason why meat can be so cheap is because of the direct connection Corn and other grains have with the factory farming industry. Corn in America is sold at a price cheaper than production costs. How is this possible? Tax Subsidies. Our food system is socialized in that we all share the costs of corn. There is no possible way that McDonalds could afford to give out $1 cheeseburgers if it wasn't for the enormous amount of our taxes going to farmers growing cheap corn.

Monocultures, where industrial grains such as field corn and soy are grown are one crop plots of land. In order to receive their monthly check from uncle sam they can only grow one crop. This leads to soil erosion and it also requires an intense amount of pesticides to keep it healthy. Polycultures on the other hand are less reliant on pesticides, and there is less shock when there is a drought or other climate issues. Here's a crazy statistic for you 70% of food grown in america is to provide animals like pigs, cows and chicken with feed. Animal feed accounts for 80% of the pesticide use in america too! Pesticide gets into our watershed, it kills beneficial mammals and insects and can cause cancer in humans. Pesticides were actually developed during World War II. Mustard Gas and Nerve Agents used in the war are made by the same companies that make Pesticides today!

Did you know that a pig produces more fecal waste than a human? Each Factory farm produces as much sewage as a small city, but instead of that sewage getting pumped into a treatment facility it runs off into small streams, then rivers and then causes nutrification of the waters in places like the Chesapeake Bay or the Gulf of Mexico. Nutrification causes algal blooms, Algae starvs the water of oxygen and this causes dead zones. Fish kills. You can say "who gives a shit", but don't you care about the families that have been fishing these waters for generations, providing their families with a living?

Also think about all the vegetables we could be growing in the Midwest instead of just Field Corn. We wouldn't have to import everything from Latin America, so that would cut down on the carbon footprint, and it would also support our economy.

Industrialized Agriculture is Unsustainable.

I still eat meat, but i have cut my consumption down a lot after becoming aware of the environmental and social impact it has. Organic, Free-Range meats are sustainable forms of food, they're delicious, but they can be %50 more expensive YIKES. I guess if you care about future generations and the longevity of things its worth it though..

Strain E. coli 0157:H7 is associated with human illness (and sometimes death) as a foodborne illness. A study by Cornell University has determined that grass-fed animals have as much as 80% less of this strain of E. coli in their guts than their grain-fed counterparts. The amount of E. coli they do have is much less likely to survive our first-line defense against infection: stomach acid. This is because feeding grain to cattle makes their digestive tract abnormally acidic; over time, the pathogenic E. coli becomes acid-resistant. If humans ingest this acid-resistant E. coli via grain-feed beef, a large number of them may survive past the stomach, causing an infection. A study by the USDA Meat and Animal Research Center in Lincoln Nebraska (2000) has confirmed the Cornell research.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...