Library internets

Hayabusa

I've noticed a trend with the "internet cafes" in this neighborhood: They start as a coffee shop crammed with people on laptops. Then, they try to expand their horizons with some sandwiches and salads. Then they get a license to sell beer and wine, and they expand the menu. Next thing you know, they are putting "no computers at this table" signs on a couple of counters near the windows, and there's a "30 minutes or less" rule for laptop use.

One place actually cuts off laptops at 5pm. They even have a last call!!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
I've noticed a trend with the "internet cafes" in this neighborhood: They start as a coffee shop crammed with people on laptops. Then, they try to expand their horizons with some sandwiches and salads. Then they get a license to sell beer and wine, and they expand the menu. Next thing you know, they are putting "no computers at this table" signs on a couple of counters near the windows, and there's a "30 minutes or less" rule for laptop use.

One place actually cuts off laptops at 5pm. They even have a last call!!

wow, that blows

the majority of "internet cafes" here are cramped dark dungeons that reek of BO/packed with sweaty nerds, & they only sell oriental chips/instant cup noodles. the only places where theyd sell coffee with salads/sandwiches where youd be allowed to use your laptop are yuppie coffeeshops like starbucks/2nd cup

wait....canada has homeless people?

ive seen hilariously (but sad) messed up homeless people here

imagine a bearded man wearing nothing under a black leather jacket, with a bright pink skirt/fishnets & 1 broken high heel. any exposed skin was covered in an ample amount of downtown grime & his hair/beard was the greasiest web of leaves/dirt ive ever witnessed. he was lying face-down in a pool of his own puke, one top of the large concrete plant/tree pots they line sidewalks with. dude couldve been dead for all i know

another homeless guy here is an icon (known as the zanta)

related http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zanta

wow, that blows

the majority of "internet cafes" here are cramped dark dungeons that reek of BO/packed with sweaty nerds, & they only sell oriental chips/instant cup noodles. the only places where theyd sell coffee with salads/sandwiches where youd be allowed to use your laptop are yuppie coffeeshops like starbucks/2nd cup

HAHA I agree with the "dark dungeon" thing. A while back my computer was in the shop, and I walked to a nearby internet cafe... the place had no lights on inside and was dark as fuck, and I could see dozens of nerds with headsets playing WoW.

It depends where you go and what kind of internet cafe it is. Some cafes are designed for gaming, and it's usually dark with no lights on, filled with nerds. Others are the kind filled with methheads and schizos. The ones in tourist parts of town tend to be yuppie'd out, costing like $1 a minute, selling scones, coffee and salads. If you're overseas in third world countries, internet cafes are only used by tourists and the local population since most don't have computers/internet at home. And the price is ridiculously cheap. Like in Bangkok it was like 10 US cents a minute. And filled with a lot of scammers in there running various business ploys.