PLAYSTATION 3 SLIM

Abracadabra

for those that were griping about the ps3 costing way too much, sony has finally smartened up and made the fucking thing affordable

Sony officially announces $299 PS3 Slim

ps3slimports_610x219.jpg

At a press conference Tuesday in Cologne, Germany, preceding the opening of the Gamescom Expo, Sony finally took the wraps off the much-rumored PS3 Slim and gave it the more affordable $299 price tag that consumers have been clamoring for.

Sony Computer Entertainment CEO Kaz Hirai performed the unveiling, taking the stage and announcing the PS3 was "getting a new model" and that indeed it was called the PS3 Slim.

The Slim is hitting stores the September 1 in North America and will cost $299 (or for those who live in other regions, 299 euros or 29980 yen). Hirai says it has the same features and functions as the "old" PS3 but is 33 percent smaller, 36 percent lighter, and comes with a 120GB hard drive.

Sony says that in order to achieve the new form factor the internal design architecture of the new PS3 system has been completely redesigned--"from the main semiconductors and power supply unit to the cooling mechanism." The PS3 slim is powered by a new 45nm version of the Cell processor, which runs at the same speed as the 60nm processor in the "old" PS3 but is smaller and more energy efficient. According to company reps, power consumption for the Slim also been cut to two-thirds, "helping to reduce fan noise," which is important.

On the cosmetics front, this model has a textured surface finish that gives the PS3 a fresh, "casual" look that the company hopes will make it more appealing to a wider audience (read: casual gamers). As previously rumored, the PS3 logo has undergone a redesign and Sony's changing the PS3 brand name from "PLAYSTATION 3" to "PlayStation 3" (we've actually been calling it the PlayStation 3 for a while).

Like the 80GB and 160GB models, the 120GB PS3 Slim has built-in WiFi and 2 USB ports (sorry, Sony didn't add IR). You can also upgrade/replace the hard drive without voiding the warranty, though Sony has moved the hard drive from the side of the unit to the front for "easier access." (To get remove the hard drive, you simply unscrew to screws). The one feature missing from the Slim is the ability to install another operating system (i.e., Linux)--Sony is doing away with that feature.

With earlier PS3s, you could prop your unit up vertically or lay it down horizontally. Out of the box, the Slim is only designed to used in a horizontal position, but Sony will sell a $24 stand that allows you to stand it up vertically.

In making the move to the PS3 Slim, Sony will be upgrading the firmware to 3.0 and phasing out its legacy 80GB and 160GB models, selling them for $299 and $399 respectively. John Koller, Director of Hardware Marketing, Sony Computer Entertainment America, says that they've been able to run down inventory of older models, but he didn't have the best answer as to why someone would buy an old 80GB model over the new 120GB Slim. "Some people want a unit right away and they may like the look of the old unit," he said. "People will have their reasons for wanting one."

To wrap things up, check out this video from SCEA President and CEO Jack Tretton, as he touts the new hardware:

http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/14382d8f

source

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
might have to get it to replace my 40gb that cost more... will the new one play PS 2 games? how can game data be transferrd over?

Save Data Utility>Triangle>Copy>USB Drive.

Then on the new one.

S.D.U>USB Drive>Copy

You might have to redownload any additional game data bought from the playstation store.

( I.e Map packs and such )

Not sure if it will play PS2 games.

might have to get it to replace my 40gb that cost more... will the new one play PS 2 games? how can game data be transferrd over?

I read some where that if you want your new ps3 to play ps2 content you're going to download some type software. The slim looks pretty uggo compared that to the older one in my opinion, but hey at least it's cheaper.

31w4WFb5XzL_AA280_.jpg

its cool and all, but you should all wait until black friday and see what all you can get. Last black friday, it came in a bundle, with five games and two remotes for 600 bucks.

I hope its cheaper this years. For sures ill get it on black friday.