Fixed Gear Queer.

HardyBucks

when my friends and i ride our mountaint bikes through prospect park we make sure to yell at all the fixed gear faggots that ride in big tight pants racing groups with no concern for you whatso ever.

Since they always yell something really gayly like , "Dude just dont man just dont dude COME ON BRO" "Get out of the way dude!" "Hey Watch it man!"

So we always get in their ways and mock them with things like WATCH IT BROS YOUR KILLIN MY RPM

Wait, isn't that the same group mind elitist mentality people give fixed gear riders shit for?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might be a stupid question, but on that site it says this...

"The track bikes have flip-flop rear hubs meaning that you can switch back to free wheel riding when you need to."

Is this pretty simple to do? Like the look & price of those bikes but really don't want a fixie, options are pretty limited in the UK.

Might be a stupid question, but on that site it says this...

"The track bikes have flip-flop rear hubs meaning that you can switch back to free wheel riding when you need to."

Is this pretty simple to do? Like the look & price of those bikes but really don't want a fixie, options are pretty limited in the UK.

It is simple, flip flop hubs all you have to do is turn the wheel around. :D

Sigh...

All right, look. It's a good thing that more people are riding bikes. It's good for the air, keeps oil use down, and it's good exercise. If it takes marketing a certain kind of bike to a certain demographic to get them interested, I think that's a necessary evil I can live with. I can even ignore it to some degree...I may not like it but the benefits outweigh the annoyances.

But guess what? The douchebags who ride track bikes would be douchebags if they were walking, driving, or taking public transit. It's not the bike's fault any more than it's the fault of the pants or the eyeliner or the shoes...it's because they are shallow, narcissistic jerks that bought their way into a lifestyle without having to pay dues or do their homework.

But the Holden Caulfield "I hate phonies and I can spot them a mile away" posturing seems kind of pointless. What were you doing ten years ago? I was riding track bikes every day at work and enjoying myself...but I moved on, and I'm not mad.

i spent several years working in a shop and the better part of a decade riding bmx (sans brakes).

while i'm perfectly capable of working on brakes/gears.... i hate doing it. so when i was looking for a bike that would be good for getting around the city, i ordered a single-speed.

however, they sent it to me with a fixed cog instead of the freewheel i'd ordered. so i figured i'd try riding fixed. i like it a lot. i like the simplicity more than anything else. i do, however, think that the uber-pretentious "bike kids" are.... well.... super pretentious. so i prefer to ride alone and outside of williamsburg. i just want to be left alone to get around on my bike and enjoy myself. my wrists and knees are also fucked from bmx, so this is a good way for me to continue having fun on a bike. i'm going to try to build up an actual track specific bike so that i can try out riding at the velodrome and see if i can keep up with people. after i quit racing bmx, i never thought i'd try to race bikes again.... but.... here we are.

honestly though, there's the people who want the "messenger aesthetic" (or whatever) and are more concerned with having a fashion accessory with pastel/neon parts. that's cool and all, but i stopped really caring what other people did with their bikes when i was 18 and realized that the hardcore/bike/graffiti/etc. scenes are all bizarro parallels of each other and that i should stop giving a fuck what anyone else does. my point is: who cares? if you're enjoying your time riding around, that's awesome. i would just prefer to be left alone.

Things haven't changed a bit...we were bitching about this in 1999. By we, I mean the 20-30 people in SF and the 100 or so in NYC who had been riding track bikes for a while and saw it turning into a trend.

Little did we know. Sometimes, it dawns on me that we were to blame for all of this along with some marketing vampires and culture vultures. I mean, we were THAT...FUCKING...COOL. I just didn't want to have to fix derailleurs in the rain anymore, guys. I'm sorry. There's a pile of rocks over there, feel free to throw them at me if it makes you feel better.

i spent several years working in a shop and the better part of a decade riding bmx (sans brakes).

while i'm perfectly capable of working on brakes/gears.... i hate doing it. so when i was looking for a bike that would be good for getting around the city, i ordered a single-speed.

however, they sent it to me with a fixed cog instead of the freewheel i'd ordered. so i figured i'd try riding fixed. i like it a lot. i like the simplicity more than anything else. i do, however, think that the uber-pretentious "bike kids" are.... well.... super pretentious. so i prefer to ride alone and outside of williamsburg. i just want to be left alone to get around on my bike and enjoy myself. my wrists and knees are also fucked from bmx, so this is a good way for me to continue having fun on a bike. i'm going to try to build up an actual track specific bike so that i can try out riding at the velodrome and see if i can keep up with people. after i quit racing bmx, i never thought i'd try to race bikes again.... but.... here we are.

honestly though, there's the people who want the "messenger aesthetic" (or whatever) and are more concerned with having a fashion accessory with pastel/neon parts. that's cool and all, but i stopped really caring what other people did with their bikes when i was 18 and realized that the hardcore/bike/graffiti/etc. scenes are all bizarro parallels of each other and that i should stop giving a fuck what anyone else does. my point is: who cares? if you're enjoying your time riding around, that's awesome. i would just prefer to be left alone.

well put.

nice to see someone who was into BMX not be such a typical hater. i dont understand how some people can like riding only a certain type of bicycle. everyone is entitled to their own preference and opinions, but talk about hating just to hate.

hate people and personalities..... not the things they're into.

i shall also quote this..

my boy rides a fixie.. i ride a gay ass "giant " brand road bike.. im not a bike nerd thou,..i ride to ride and to go on short errands.. anyway we make fun of each other. /nh.

he wears tight pants and rides a bianchi or some shit.. and i wear mesh basketball shorts and sometimes flipflops. /nh

can anyone ride two bikes at once? he would be between the two and standing .. my boy used to do it it was funny to watch .

im done talking about gay ass bikes.

fuck you faggots.

i ride a 46/16.if u dont likeit fuck off.yeah alot of people who ride fixed gears are trendy poseres but those fucks eventually move on to the next"cool" thing.bottom line ride what the fuck u want to.if u quit doing something you love because others jump on the bandwagon then u must not love it.oh yeah btw-build your own.youll save alot of money and its a lot funner!!!!and you might actually learn something you fucking homos.im tired of seeing all the same bianchis!!!!!!!!!!!

ive got a fix gear bike

in my defense i got it for free

in the bikes defense other than the fact that

it doesnt have gears its an decent old schwin

with some upgrades. Girl i was seeing sold

her vespa to someone and they gave her the

bike in addition. Its too big for her to ride so

she gave it to me

i just dont understand why someone would

take the gears off. I want to be able to shift

to an easier gear on a hill. In taking the gears

off the chain goes at a slight angle and unless

the chain is on super tight by moving the

wheel to a far back position the chain pops off

As a result the bike is stuck on hard to pedal.

Fine on flat ground and going down hill but a bitch

on an incline.

Its like taking out your shoe laces. Sure you can still

wear em but its not going to work as well.