Fixed Gear Queer.

HardyBucks

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FIXED GEARS ARE FUCKING FAST.

PEOPLE THAT HATE WOULD PROBABLY DIE IN A FUCKING HORRIBLE ACCIDENT BECAUSE

A. THEY'RE FUCKING UNCOORDINATED

B. TOO FUCKING FAT

C. THEY'RE NOT WEARING TIGHT PANTS

D. ALL OF THE ABOVE + THEY'RE A FUCKING MORON.

THIS IS MY FIRST AND ONLY FORAY INTO THE FIXED GEAR DEBATE.

FIXED GEARS= GOOD TIMES

(BUT TALL BIKES ARE BETTER)

So why do people get fixed gears anyway? I asked a messenger a bar one time and he tried to say that it was a weight saving thing which does not make sense to me.

Honestly what is the appeal?

They're pretty easy to maintain (95% of the time you can look at your bike and tell if something's wrong) and track parts tend to be higher quality so things don't wear out quite as fast. At least they used to be...not so much if you're not doing yolur homework and just buying what looks cool off the rack.

Having said that, I wouldn't buy anything off of a website like this. If you can build a skateboard you can build a track bike....they aren't that complicated. The problem is that all of the old parts and frames have been snapped up by collectors and most of the new stuff looks flimsy as hell. If you live near a track or know people who race you might be able to get some decent stuff, but expect to pay quite a bit for anything nice.

Some recommendations- Miche groups, MKS pedals, Mavic rims, Sachs/SRAM chains, any rust-free English lugged steel frame from the 80s or before, Brooks saddles...it's a good rule of thumb to stay away from French bikes unless they're in excellent condition and know what's up with them. Aerospokes and discs are gay and dangerous (Aerospokes can break limbs and discs are bad in crosswinds).

If you want to be gangster as fuck and pull hoes you should rock one of these-

dscf0143.JPG

Shai I asked you not to post my ride up man..

Now everyone is gonna be biting my steez..

Hahaha, shit....your bike and that bike are from the same era. I had an old Stumpjumper that had the ill fluorescent yellow/red/blue fade...it looked like something Randy "Macho Man" Savage would ride off of a launch ramp into the ring.

Specialized made some great bikes in the 80s (in fact, I ride a 1979 Expedition) but their paint jobs were fucking godawful.

Mavic rims are good but I still feel that no one has put forth a good argument for the fixed gear.

"Stupid is as stupid does?" I guess I don't really have one. I used to messenger in your city and was struggling on a cross bike...it blew my mind that people rode track bikes.

If you do anything to look cool, you aren't.

i dont see with whats wrong with at least putting a front brake on a fixie.

there are some die hard fixie dudes, but i dont understand it completely. it seems too dangerous.

i ride a single speed with a flip flop. i ride the free wheel though. i guess im not coordinated enough idk. i have to have brakes though. jus seyin.

but yes tall bikes ftwwww.

bike kill 09, yall gonna be there?

i like my fixed gear (not my "fixie") for winter riding here in minneapolis. theres a pro, less shit to rust/get jammed. my geared bike did not fare quite as well in the snow/slush/salt/grit category. plus i feel traction better on the fixed gear.

on the other hand, its fun to race "fixie kids" on my cargo bike. sure, they might have good acceleration due to their gearing, but distance and higher speeds have me at the advantage. boo ya.

on a similar note, i was at the grocery store the other day when i saw a kid riding the track frame (couldnt see what kind but the seat tube had the little indenture for closer wheel clearance?)., with trispokes trying to trackstand. you know, like the one kid with the bmx who rolls arounnd with two other friends on shitty wal-mart mountain bikes

B. TOO FUCKING FAT

FIXED GEARS= GOOD TIMES

-2 points for you beatso

• Like 1

B. TOO FUCKING FAT

FIXED GEARS= GOOD TIMES

I hate on them because they are not comfortable for me to ride, being as I am short.

They throw my center of gravity off and it makes me nervous.

I ride BMX because it is what feels natural and comfortable for me.

I don't like gears because I prefer to "feel" the terrain I am riding.

If I am riding up a massive hill, I want to be able to feel the pain that comes along with riding super hard.

I like brakes because I enjoy having teeth and would like to keep them.

I wear tight pants.

I cut them into tight shorts for riding my bike.

I am uncoordinated and R@ndom says that I am wobbly always.

fixies are generally good for perfect road settings. i feel like if i hit a huge bump, the constant need to pedal will make me flip my bars which has happened before on a few fixies i've rode. single speeds are just more enjoyable, i mean why can't you pretend it's a fixie and just not stop pedaling? that's the whole thing i've never understood. just because you can coast, why would you? i like going fast, but in those 'oh shit' moments where you need to focus on one thing above all or else you're gonna die, i'm glad my legs aren't moving constantly.

when my friends and i ride our mountaint bikes through prospect park we make sure to yell at all the fixed gear faggots that ride in big tight pants racing groups with no concern for you whatso ever.

Since they always yell something really gayly like , "Dude just dont man just dont dude COME ON BRO" "Get out of the way dude!" "Hey Watch it man!"

So we always get in their ways and mock them with things like WATCH IT BROS YOUR KILLIN MY RPM