Do you think you could track someone down if you wanted to? How about for 5 grand?

Harvey Wallbanger

This dude wrote a really interesting article about people faking their own deaths and taking on entirely new identities, and came up with a pretty fucking cool promotion for it. He's hiding out somewhere in the US for 30 days, and Wired will give 5 G's to the first person to track him down, take his photo, and say the code word. They're providing links to his twitter and facebook accounts, and have a page set up where they will release clues.

Casek, if you can figure out where to find this guy, I'll fly there, set up a stakeout, catch him, and split the prize with you.

Wired.com link

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was booked with a guy that was brought in by bounty hunters. According to him he was paying cash to rent a basement room out of a house and did everything with cash and no ID. When he asked the bounty hunters how they found him they said "the internet is a motherfucker man".

his family and friends/coworkers whatever most likely knowing about this shit is the only part that would make this shit more difficult than usual.

especially the fact that you can't really kidnap one of his family members and use techniques of extracting information, and expect to recieve the 5grand.

but you never know, you might run into 2pac during the hunt.

An update from Wired.com:

Hello Hunters! I edited Evan’s story in the latest issue of Wired and will be providing details and clues as to his whereabouts. I don’t know where he is. But I know him pretty well, I’ve got some ideas—and he’s given me access to all of his credit card and personal accounts. I’m hopeful that I’ll be able to give enough clues that someone can win the $5,000 prize for locating Evan on or before September 15th, snapping a picture of him, and saying the word “Fluke.” (If you read the story, you’ll know why we chose that word).

The goal of the contest is for Evan to act like someone who has vanished, and for Wired readers to have all the information that private investigators would have. I’ll check the records every day and publish whatever I find. I’ll also conduct interviews with friends of Evan’s, who should provide hints on the kind of places where he might go. Everything I write on this blog will be true, at least as far as I know. And every day, I’ll post a new information here or on Twitter (@nxthompson).

Other crucial information will also come from Teeuwynn Woodruff (@evansvanished). Like any good private investigator, she’ll have some great material that doesn’t quite make sense—or that might not be true. Do with it what you will.

Here’s some info to get you started:

Evan was last seen on Thursday night, driving. The last time he used his Fasttrack account was for the following:

13-Aug-2009 19:27:58 Carquinez Bridge $4.00

He seems to be reading his email a lot. And the IP addresses he used yesterday are the following:

212.42.236.140 5:37 pm

145.100.100.190 5:08 pm

206.205.112.34 2:18 pm

His last credit card transaction was the following, on 8/14: Best Buy Electronics & So… –$28.46

I have no idea, however, what he bought. He also spent $60.52 for parking at Oil Can Henry’s on August 13th. I don’t know where that is.

And on August 17th, he transferred $1500 from his savings account to his checking account in one transaction, and $360.75 in another.

I also know, with absolute certainty, that he will not be hiding out with any members of his family, and that he will not be staying in his apartments in New York or San Francisco.

If you have specific questions or tips that you don’t want to put in the comments, email me at nicholas_thompson at wired dot com. Also a facebook group has started called “The Search for Evan Ratliff.” .

Updates:

@wayale writes: “Found #vanish SF apt (http://bit.ly/6yvkR), talked to lady upstairs said he moved to NY. He can’t be in NY apt, according to @wired.” That’s all true!

@newmediabias writes: “Our #vanish hero is using Tor to check his email. Sneaky.”