Looking for a mentor

Millertime

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either find people in your area with the same interests as you so you can feed off each other r if no one is into the stuff your into go at it yourself. /nh

Asking for a mentor on the internet is not going to help.

By the way do you tag ROCK1T?

I'm obviously a toy and i'm looking to better myself. I'm looking for someone who is willing to teach me the tips of the trade. I'm willing to devote a lot of my time learning and I know i wont get better overnight. So if you can mentor me post a reply or pm me.

I'll blow a hole in your face then go inside and sleep like a baby.

nah i tag pure

not anymore you dont.

if you take graffiti seriously, spend 5 years learning the history, practising hands and sketching. they are more important than actually painting.

then after 5 years when you have some clean simples and show some kind of committment and originality then do you have the right to ask for mentoring.

im still learning the old fashioned way so you can shut the fuck up and put in work like everyone else.

i learn basically nothing from people on the internet. i learn the most from flicks and books and other peoples pieces.

regardless of what these fools say, this is the actuall tradition of writing graffiti. seeking a mentor is actually legit and noble. doing it on 12oz may be a little gay, but you are still on the right track....which is more than i can say for most cats who just try to jump right in and say "fuck that son, learn on your own like i did, and dont bite, word, yo!".

.....and yeah, you cant write Pure.

• Like 1

you cant learn on your own...in order to learn you have to look at other graffiti to get an idea of how it is supposed to look. but if you JUST look at other graffiti and are never taught the ropes by someone who has experience you are liable to make a lot of dumb mistakes that could have been avoided.

if someone told you hey dont write in other people shit before you got your ass beat - that would be a good thing.

if someone told you hey dont write on the all the buildings and what not in the yard before you got arrested that would be a good thing.

if someone said start simple and develop your handstyle before you just looked ant all the pretty wild style pieces on 12oz before you made a complete ass of yourself - that would be a good thing.

and the list goes on...

so really if your so cool that you want to go throguh all the dumb shit that you could easily avoid just to one day say "i learned on my own" then no, thats not a bad thing....thats just a fucking dumbass thing!

I agree that finding a mentor on 12oz or any website is pretty gay, but I think that it's a different time than when you and I ( Zed) came out. Though you were out before me, we both came out at time when there was no such thing as the internet,nor were there all of these videos, magazines, books,etc. Finding a mentor was way harder. You had to not only find a more established writer that knew how to do things the right way (which that in itself was a mission), but also find someone who was cool enough to associate with a toy, and willing to teach. Keep in mind that this was a time when most writers weren't nearly as friendly as today. That whole peace, love, and unity vibe that a lot of the older cats are on today was way different in the 80s.

Millertime. I would suggest keeping an eye open in your area, and see who some of the more established writers might be. Maybe try to link up with someone like that closer to home instead of some guy you don't know writing you emails on how to do things.

Oh yeah. Zed is right about writing "Pure". There already is a guy writing that has been for over 20 years, and is very established. The last thing that you want to do when you first start writing is to take a name that someone already has (and is practically a style master at that). You will get enough slack being a toy. Having someone elses name will just put you behind the ball before it even gets rolling.

if you want to continue to ball on local courts then yes that should be your approach. If you want to move beyond that; i.e. go to college, play professional ball, then you are better served to learn smoe real important shit from some ball players with experience. coaches, MENTORS, trainers etc. I understand we are of a generation where it is looked down upon to humble yourself enough to ask a motherfucker "man howd you do that", but 99% of the toy ass behavior you see exhibited today is by cats that said "im going to learn this on my own"

im not pushing the whole mentor this or saying in order to become an established writer you NEED a mentor. just sayin tho - in my day this was the order of things....but i guess that day is long gone, and so yeah, fuck that, learn this shit on your own, yo.

@intothegrace

Lol, so you two came out... of the closet.

At the same time?

/joke

Zed, I get what you're getting at but your disagreeing with your first para and its starts getting confusing therefore pointless.

There's mentors and INFLUENCES

Mentors are great, we all know that.

The thing about mentors though, they can be hard to get.

Especially nowadays where everyones all like, Fuck off you toy.

People now take their knowledge and keep it to themselves.

Unlike back then, as you said.

Practicing on your own, getting a feel for the can and the whole movement naturally.

That's a great thing to do.

If you had a mentor though, they might have a different approach to this stuff and try to force their approach on you.

Like, people always said to flick your wrist when flaring but I don't even flick my wrist at all.

Mentors might teach you something you didn't know before and you'll never get your kind of natural motion to it because you think that the mentors way, is the right way.

Truth is, what you need are influences.

If you spot flares on the street and you decide to try flaring.

You'll practice for a while to get the whole motion of moving the can.

It's like being a automotive technician.

You won't learn how to do it by being taught in a classroom.

You might learn the basics in a classroom but the best way to learn it is by doing it first hand.

You didn't learn to write because someone held your hand and moved it for you.

You learned to write by picking up a crayon and scribbling on your mom's wall.

continuing with the metaphors.

dude cant even make a lay-up but he's ready to start asking Michael how to slam from the freethrow line.

really he needs influences and needs to get up on his own or with peers.

once he bounces off ideas styles techniques with those close to him he might be ready to move up and on. but if he has to ask for a mentor on 12ozprophet.com then im going out on a limb here and saying son aint ready.

@intothegrace

Lol, so you two came out... of the closet.

At the same time?

/joke

Zed, I get what you're getting at but your disagreeing with your first para and its starts getting confusing therefore pointless.

There's mentors and INFLUENCES

Mentors are great, we all know that.

The thing about mentors though, they can be hard to get.

Especially nowadays where everyones all like, Fuck off you toy.

People now take their knowledge and keep it to themselves.

Unlike back then, as you said.

Practicing on your own, getting a feel for the can and the whole movement naturally.

That's a great thing to do.

If you had a mentor though, they might have a different approach to this stuff and try to force their approach on you.

Like, people always said to flick your wrist when flaring but I don't even flick my wrist at all.

Mentors might teach you something you didn't know before and you'll never get your kind of natural motion to it because you think that the mentors way, is the right way.

Truth is, what you need are influences.

If you spot flares on the street and you decide to try flaring.

You'll practice for a while to get the whole motion of moving the can.

It's like being a automotive technician.

You won't learn how to do it by being taught in a classroom.

You might learn the basics in a classroom but the best way to learn it is by doing it first hand.

You didn't learn to write because someone held your hand and moved it for you.

You learned to write by picking up a crayon and scribbling on your mom's wall.

I agree with you to an extent as far as the actual techniques of painting go. Everyone has their way of painting. Some guys want to throw an outline on their piece, and then do a cloud or force field after. Other guys want to do that cloud first, and then outline. Some guys like to paint very close to a wall, while others don't, etc. I think if your goal is to just do pretty pieces on legal walls, then a mentor might not be so important. Now days you can learn a lot just from the internet. Back in the days you didn't have that tool. You also didn't have "jams" where you could go as a spectator, and watch a group of people that were good painting, and learn how things are done. Today you can just watch someone paint, or go on Youtube and learn shit.

I think a mentor is good if you plan on being a real writer. Going out at night, and putting work in the field. Someone that breaks it down for you. Trains roll by, and you have to hide, the proper way to scope spots out, and walk into them, etc. Things that seem like common sense, or 2nd hand to people that painted for years might not to someone that is just starting out. That's just my take on it though.

Exactly.

The painting aspect and getting better at it, comes with practice.

Thats it.

With learning techniques to GET to the spot.

That's a whole different story.

I agree with you 100% on having someone teach you how to do yards properly.

Some vet cats out there have a sense for when to do something.

The truth is though, the internet isn't a good place to find a mentor.

I say you gotta get your painting skills on lock first.

Then on the way you'll meet your mentor.

• 1 month later...

this thread has some interesting discussion in it so for now i'll be leaving it open.

mentors don't just come by. i'd say people that have them are lucky.

i was self taught and for many years also had to go out and do this shit on my own

now that years have gone by and i know what i'm doing, i'm reluctant to mentor people for so many reasons, not least of which the risk you open yourself up to

i also think it weeds people out who are into this for some bullshit reasons/

funny though how nowadays, you can come to a site like this and just troll for someone to help you or glean tips and tricks off shit you read.

not anymore you dont.

if you take graffiti seriously, spend 5 years learning the history, practising hands and sketching. they are more important than actually painting.

then after 5 years when you have some clean simples and show some kind of committment and originality then do you have the right to ask for mentoring.

im still learning the old fashioned way so you can shut the fuck up and put in work like everyone else.

i learn basically nothing from people on the internet. i learn the most from flicks and books and other peoples pieces.

I support you on the whole taking your time to find out the history and to see if others have your names but 5 years? really i say learn and paint as you go. that way you'll be getting up and you get practice on the way while learning your shit...

i spent 3 years sketching before i started piecing.

after that, i started painting at least half way decent shit rather than starting on paint as a complete toy. 5 years is not an unrealistic amount of time to spend learning and practicing, especially if you wanna set the world on fire when you start.

shit is a lot harder these days too, you need to do a lot more recon and scoping at so many places to find even a good practice spot, much less a place to do a piece, if you still aren't very good.

after that shit, i started painting and have been for 12 years. so, a few years spent in preparation could be good for a person.

cheve is right too, if you have a mentor it will be extremely difficult to carve out your own niche. it is sometimes better to just get al the influence you can