drunken breast feeding!

Guest 50million

Breast feeding while drunk: is it a crime?  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest 50million

is it a crime?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfmoms/detail?entry_id=44676

Breast-feeding while drunk: is it a crime?

Last February, police in Grand Forks, N.D., were called about a domestic disturbance at the home of 26-year-old Stacey Anvarinia. When they arrived, Anvarinia was drunk and slurring her words--and she was breast-feeding. The officers arrested Anvarinia for neglect of her six-week-old infant on the grounds that alcohol can pass from mother to child via breast milk. They never determined her blood alcohol level, but they declared her "extremely intoxicated." The baby was taken to the hospital for an examination and Anvarinia was locked up on charges of child neglect. She pleaded guilty to the charge, a Class C felony, in state District Court in June.

stacey_anvarinia400x376.jpg

Mug shot: Stacey Anvarinia

Today, according to the Grand Forks Herald, Anvarinia was "sentenced to a six-month term, which she can potentially serve at least part of at a substance-abuse treatment facility."

"I'm very sorry for what I did, and I know it was wrong," Anvarinia told the judge. "And I would like to continue working toward getting my daughter back."

The incident has grabbed international attention and sparked a debate on whether it's safe to drink while breast-feeding--and whether it's a crime if you do.

Many women were outraged that Anvarinia was put in jail. "Since when is breast-feeding while drunk a crime?" writes Dr. Amy Tuteur, a retired obstetrician and gynecologist in Boston who has been following the case on her blog, the Skeptical OB. "Is it even a danger to the baby's health? There is certainly a theoretical risk that a baby can be harmed by breastfeeding from a chronically intoxicated mother. There is no scientific evidence that breastfeeding during a single episode of intoxication is harmful to the baby in any way."

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
I thought you and I were around the same age?

Your moms probably used to do that shit with you when you were teething too.

You should ask her.

Actually no, she used ice in towel. My parents where religious and dont drink, so they wouldnt have whiskey around.

Plus when I had my kid, my mom told me that trick to get my baby to calm down from teething

What do they think about your affection for death metal?

They sure do, my parents are religious and since my days of being a little metal head they always tried to change my ways...but it never worked, you can't kill the metal. So they just stopped and now they accept me for the atheist metal person that i am.

plus you know that we are grown ass men and pay bills, so what really can our parents tell us?

Actually no, she used ice in towel. My parents where religious and dont drink, so they wouldnt have whiskey around.

Plus when I had my kid, my mom told me that trick to get my baby to calm down from teething

:lol:

You grew a holy child hey, that explains the king diamond rebellion.

And as for you having a kid, iv NEVER heard you say a thing about it.

Did you sacrafice it to jobe?

Back in the day most parents used to dip their fingers in wiskey and let teething babies suck on their fingers.

And it was well accepted and perfectly legal.

According to my mom, this did wonders to shut us up and get us to sleep.

That is all.

i've always put whiskey on a toothache.

I know new mums are advised to not drink when breast feeding, having said that what does a couple of drinks hurt, if she was a hardcore alky then that might affect the kid over a long period of time, but then if she is a hardcore alky maybe she shouldn't have a baby lol

I agree with DAO (we are about the same age) and my parents used to do the old whiskey trick for me when i was teething, worked wonders also for sending a baby to sleep