Shaving...... yeeeea

acer910

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the process that straight shaving really is about. . . I try and do it about once or twice a month as it takes me 20 mins start to finish.

That's really the only downside in my opinion, fuck I didn't need to hone my razor in the first year even!

I guess the other shitty part would be if someone creeped up behind you....I mean you could cut your head off, but otherwise that would be it!

yeah, between honing, stropping, lathering, shaving x 3 passes...im afraid each shave would take me about an hour.

I get the bulk off with an electric. To me this makes the razor last a little longer, I don't hone the razor after every pass, I only strop and canvas before and after every pass. I don't hone the blade until I notice it is getting dull. . . I also leave a goatee so that saves some time, really it is only my cheeks, neck and cleanup around my goat.

• 11 months later...
sorry to bump this again, but I just wanted to let everyone know that I went with the Parker 98R (quoted above).

I actually found a better deal on another site that included this safety razor, 10 free blades and free shipping.

got it a couple of days ago and just used it for the first time a few minutes ago.

results: i got a couple nicks on my neck, but was expecting that....but overall, awesome safety razor!...its nice and heavy, so you dont have to apply much pressure to your shave, you let the weight of the razor do the work.

i got a very clean/smooth shave....rubbed on some witch hazel, and im good to go!

I would definitely recommend this razor to anyone thinking about getting a safety razor for the first time....for less than $32, you get the razor, 10 blades and shipping...thats a good deal!

once again, thanks to everyone who gave me info.:)

bumping this thread again...so, i was shaving in the shower last week when I dropped my parker 98R on the tile floor...fuck....shit broke too easily....read some reviews online and found out that this is common...although it was a good razor, you drop it once and youre fucked...fuck...the top part of the razor (that screws in) broke...the part that screws in just snapped right off...i guess that part is made cheaply...but i guess i shouldve expected that since it was made in pakistan...so last friday, i ordered something similar...this is what i got:

http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Model-180-Handled-Safety/dp/B000NL0T1G

its the merkur 180-- long handle....i figure since its made in germany, it should be a good quality razor....well, i was actually rereading this thread when the mailman came with it today...i just opened the box...it looks ok, but its A LOT lighter than the parker 98R...i dont like that....but i will give it a try.

I've been also looking at straight razors for the past 6 or 7 months now and found a couple of good websites/forums to learn about them: straightrazorplace and badgerandblade are some sites...there is a guy who runs whippeddog.com who sells good straight razors for cheap, but sells them sight unseen.. meaning he just sends you a good quality one, but you dont get to see it ahead of time..i want to try that out maybe, but the razors are usually no-name brands that have been restored....i guess straight razor restorations of vintage blades are a big business...ive seen some decent antique staright edge razors for as cheap as $20....i guess it takes a lot of work to restore them though...got to get rid of the rust and pitting then polish them, then hone etc etc etc.

i really want to get a new straight edge though, but for a good one, id have to spend at least $150. :(

also, last week, i went to the new art of shaving store and picked up this:

http://www.theartofshaving.com/shop/shaving-products/shaving-kits/98034

pretty good starter kit to test their products, plus it comes with a badger brush....i like the preshave oil.

once again sorry to bump this thread, but ever since reading it a few years back, ive been learning a lot about old school shaving.

i shaved with that dr bronners soap, the hippy 18 in 1 shit. tryin to think of the 18 uses and so far all i got was soap, bodywash, shampoo, toothpaste (you seriously can brush your teeth with the peppermint flavor), shaving cream and lube.

but anyways, it was alright.

• Like 1

babyliss_for_men_i-stubble_trimmer169947.jpg

i got this because i hate shaving too. this works great for the stubble look, as well as a close shave or beard trimming. Its 50 bucks. Your best bet is too spend a little extra cash for a quality electric.

For more definition I use the Gillette pro-glide under my chin and use the electric Babyliss trimmer for the rest of my face.

shaver_200x247.jpg

for after shave irritation you can get some quality balm for cheap. I use Versace after shave balm, which is only 10 bucks.

_5669080.jpg

• 2 months later...

once again, sorry for the bump...i just spent the past couple hours rereading this entire thread again and have to prop a few people who put me up on some shit on here (morton, gooch, spaceman and cool_hand).

also, i wanted to link this thread to theos thread in duty free about grooming products.

i posted in that thread about what products i have been using recently.

im still researching straight razors and have learned a LOT... i will probably be getting one hopefully sometime by summer.

heres the link to theos thread:

http://www.12ozprophet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139663

• Like 1

gots a wahl electric body hair clipper.

pretty useful when travelling, but you are never clean shaven, it always leaves a bit more than 5 oclock shadow.

still, 20 quid, no gel needed and it only takes me a minute.

everytime i use my razor now, it fucking hurts and the shit is brand new. kinda annoying.

Cali..thanks for the props bud...

Straight shaving is an art form so to speak, it's one of those things that requires patience and practice but it's an experience. Its not a fast electric shave it's a meticulous procedure that leaves your face smoother than any other way.

Look into a German Dovo, they are good entry level razors. Mine is in desperate need of a polish and a hone.

C

^yeah...i've been looking at Dovo (or anything else from Solingen)...i've been also looking to get something from Sheffield maybe...i want to get a blad thats 6/8 and up with a half hollow grind for now.

i've been reading up on straight razor shaving for about a year now..i need to just man up and invest.

what kind of strop do you use?