Shaving...... yeeeea

acer910

if you're getting bumps, try exfoliating really well before you shave. Being such a burly beast, I used to get razor burn on my neck. Now I shave immediately after a shower and some scrubbing and cleansing of the shaving areas. Ideally I would like to get a mirror for the shower and shave in there, but I guess I've been too lazy to get one.

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shave myself with a straight razor, then again I'm a master barber. I use a brand called derby blades they look similar to the shark blades posted above. I get boxes of 100 for $8 from or barber supplier at the shop. I feel a good blade is important but equal important to the process before you shave. Heat is the secret, shaving in or directly after a steamy hot shower should help. We do a whole process before we shave that I dont feel like typing...im not a douchy protect the trade type dude but feel free to look up a "14 stroke shave" process.

As far as elecric razors, ive mentioned in here before, "wahl 5star shaver" best one ive used, very simple very good. I use it all day for bald fades and quick face clean ups when I dont have time for the shave. Easy to clean too.

I recently fought in a boxing tournement, apparently usa boxing wont allow you to weigh in with facial hair. I had a trimmed but full beard, homeboy sent me to the bathroom with a single blade disposable razor and a bar of soap. The water in the bathroom was luke warm at its best...neadless to say it was horrible! I would of been better off with sand paper....to finish the story I weighed in and they then told me I had a bye week nd could head home, I almost punched him.

• Like 1

I shave with a Dovo straight razor and there is nothing else like it. . .

I would recommend going to a safety or straight razor if you have any issues with your skin or if you get razor burn easy. . . if you shave the right way and using a rabbit hair brush get a good lather going you should notice improvement quickly.

Shaving with a cut-throat razor is not for pussies tho, I have only cut myself once and after a week you dont even notice the difference, except in the quality of shave.

I shave myself with a straight razor, then again I'm a master barber. I use a brand called derby blades they look similar to the shark blades posted above. I get boxes of 100 for $8 from or barber supplier at the shop.

So you shave with a straight razor, but you use DE blades?

Does not compute.

Also:

mach 3's are the best

I just manned up and decided to get a straight razor from classicshaving.com.

TI_HRLM_WTBRY_ebony.jpg

This was not cheap, but I'm hoping I'll be able to justify it in time.

Danny fonts probably uses a straight razor design that takes safety blades, something like this:

238.jpg

That method takes away the need for the strop...

I spent around 80 bucks on my strop... 80 bucks in blades would go a long way

Im glad I spent the money...I haven't bought shaving supplies in 2 years.

I've never ever ever cut a chunk of skin off shaving and I can't even imagine how the fuck you would cut a dime size chunk of skin off from shaving.

Also from what I've heard those electric shavers are garbage.

well all you got to do is catch some skin in there and slice. you have just cut a dime size piece off your face.

i got a good one on my chin and have been caught up around the adams apple before..

friend of mine (24) just started using a normal razor, has been using electric since he was like 16. hahaha his face is cut up.

edit: oh and 1 020.87 m/s BITCHES!

mach3.jpg

My father told me to never shave until after your shower.

Something about the steam loosening shit up.

He told me this the very first time I shaved back in highschool.

I've never ever ever cut a chunk of skin off shaving and I can't even imagine how the fuck you would cut a dime size chunk of skin off from shaving.

Were you using some oldschool fucking straight razor?

Also from what I've heard those electric shavers are garbage.

reincarnation of seriouseone?

Seriously.

I got my straight razor and strop today! It only took two days.

Shaved with it tonight figuring I would nick myself and I did. Only on the last pass and on my upper lip so I didn't do too bad. The hardest part was figuring out the angle and how to hold it. I'm sure I'll get it in time though. Shave was awesome though, except at the bottom of my chin where I was pretty chicken. I'll definitely buy honing stone(s) now though.

• Like 1

I got my first straight razor a few years ago, pretty much this guy right here:

DO1034.jpg

http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522940/8039344.htm

Dovo's entry level blades are decent and not TOO expensive, great to learn with. Super fun running the blade over your neck for the first time, gets the blood pumping.

Straight razors shave very well and with a properly maintained blade and practice will run smooth and quick, but honestly I've found you can get as good of a shave - done faster - with a fresh mach 5 or the like. It's the going back up against the grain of the hair that regular Gilettes excel at over a straight blade, time and technique-wise.

Granted I haven't shaved in 4 months but I don't intend on going back to regular razors any time soon.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

sorry to bump again.

just thought id share some info, and get some feedback.

i've been reading on a bunch of different websites to not use anything alcohol based after a shave, because this will dry out the skin real bad...i noticed that the witch hazel i was using contained alcohol in it (even though its supposed to be a natural astringent). contained about 40% alcohol. i did notice that my skin was starting to get real dry, so i threw the rest of the witch hazel away. (brand was maravilloso witch hazel)

also i noticed there was alcohol in my shaving cream, so i got rid of that....i went to walmart and bought the old school alcohol free barbasol....i got the kind with the aloe, because its supposed to help with cuts/healing:

051009002618.jpg

lastly, i got a styptic pencil for any nicks:

travel_styptic_pencil_l.jpg

^this styptic pencil burns like a motherfucker.

anybody got any other products to reccomend for dealing with nicks?

I just use toilet paper to clot them, I shave with the sharpest possible straight razor and I hardly ever get nicks.

I like doing the very last pass, against the grain the best. I love the feeling like your going to slit your throat because your doing pretty fast passes. With practice straight razors shave the best imo if you do 3 passes in total.

I used to use mach 3's all the time but they dull out in 2 uses and they are FUCKING EXPENSIVE!

Try practicing your straight razor in both hands, it really helps when you get used to it down the road for both sides of your face.

• Like 1

I do not really understand the desire to shave with vintage style razors. But on the vintage personal care tip I would like to throw a hearty endorsement of Gold Bond medicated powder for the nuts and mentholated talc for the feet.

Sensor Excel for life. Jack Black products are nice if you have the $$$.

I like the process that straight shaving really is about. . . I try and do it about once or twice a month as it takes me 20 mins start to finish.

That's really the only downside in my opinion, fuck I didn't need to hone my razor in the first year even!

I guess the other shitty part would be if someone creeped up behind you....I mean you could cut your head off, but otherwise that would be it!