Shaving...... yeeeea

acer910

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

acer, nah. at least not on the one i have. it fits in perfect, the blade is the same on both sides. mine isn't an adjustable. once the blade is in it's not going anywhere until you remove it. also, there are closed and open comb shavers, mine is a closed comb and from what i was reading it's good for people like me who have light growth and/or are inexperienced with wet shaving.

do a little research, there are a ton of sites (some i posted a few posts back) and a ton of vids on youtube. there is this guy on youtube: mantic59, who has a lot of good videos with info and tips.

honestly, people can say what they will but in the long run it's more economical and efficient.

not mine, but it can give you a better idea:

Safety Razor

another:

safety-razor-%28cropped%29.jpg

l

oh ok. i think ima have to just man up and buy one from the local tobacco supply (the only place to get safety razors locally)

and another thing, ive seen the brush that come in kits with these, how the hell are you supposed to lather up your top lip without getting it all in your mouth and nose??

well for one, keep your mouth closed, and you can't totally avoid getting shit in your nose. but i mean, it's no rush, so you take your time and you can avoid shit like that.

also, some safety razors may suck, so be warned.

check out that site i posted earler, they are pretty cheap. if you can get them locally, get merkur razors.

yea but then you gotta breath and its either inhale shaving cream or open your mouth and then somehow a lil bit gets into your mouth. i guess its unavoidable haha

il call and see if they stock them. they are a specialty store when it comes to tobacco and pens and whatnot so im sure they would be fine with ordering

• 9 months later...

yo, I really hate to bump an old thread, but i need some feedback from ya'll.

so, ever since i saw this thread a while back, ive wanted to cop a safety razor....and just never really got around to it cause i never had a bit of extra money laying around....now that I have a little bit (very little) bit of extra cash laying around, im trying to get a cool little standard safety razor (non-adjustable).

gooch and random, i know ya'll copped some safety razors during this thread, and IOU, i know you got a safety razor too.

so, my question is which brand is better? parker or merkur?...ive done some research and know that parkers are made in india and merkurs are made in germany.

also, are safety razors with butterfly doors more likely to break?...i went to a tabacco shop in the mall (cigar store) to get one the other day, and they were selling them for way more than they are online....so i want to get one online (and gooch, im considering buying from the same site that you bought from).....how much did shipping set you back?

also, at the cigar shop, i noticed that some of the handles were much shorter than what im used to (gooch talked about this), so i was going to get a longer handled one....im looking to buy something around the $30 range for now, so that i can get about 4-5 months worth of razors too.

ive narrowed it down to these three choices:

http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/product.php?productid=1155&cat=129&page=1

^parker.... 4 inch handle is good....seems kind of light...but not sure the butterfly doors will be durable.

http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/product.php?productid=1157&cat=129&page=1

^another parker...same handle length as above...heavier...so it should be more durable right....and its not a butterfly opening razor.

http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/product.php?productid=86&cat=129&page=1

^merkur....long handle, but length not indicated...right price range...i actually would rather have a merkur than a parker, because its made in germany and im sure its a better quality razor.

im stuck between these 3 razors.

what should i get?

people with merkurs and parkers, please weigh in with your comments.

thanks in advance.

i want to borrow someones safety razor before i use one, or else i would have bought one a while back too.

for what its worth, id go with the german. just because its made in germany, honestly. everything ive fucked with made in germany was better then its competition. Staedtler products to be exact

• Like 1

I have an old adjustable gillette safety razor I got from an antique shop.

fat-boy-gillette-1.jpg

I'd actually recommend getting an adjustable. I had a plain closed comb one that didn't shave close enough for me.

The butterfly doors won't break. I personally like the twist top kind because it's easier to clean inside though.

Also, if you're getting a shaving brush, go for the gusto and get a really nice one. DO NOT get a synthetic one or mix, get only badger hair.

This page has a lot of good information: http://www.classicshaving.com/page/page/590351.htm

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/product.php?productid=1157&cat=129&page=1

^another parker...same handle length as above...heavier...so it should be more durable right....and its not a butterfly opening razor.

sorry to bump this again, but I just wanted to let everyone know that I went with the Parker 98R (quoted above).

I actually found a better deal on another site that included this safety razor, 10 free blades and free shipping.

got it a couple of days ago and just used it for the first time a few minutes ago.

results: i got a couple nicks on my neck, but was expecting that....but overall, awesome safety razor!...its nice and heavy, so you dont have to apply much pressure to your shave, you let the weight of the razor do the work.

i got a very clean/smooth shave....rubbed on some witch hazel, and im good to go!

I would definitely recommend this razor to anyone thinking about getting a safety razor for the first time....for less than $32, you get the razor, 10 blades and shipping...thats a good deal!

once again, thanks to everyone who gave me info.:)

• 2 months later...

just wanted to share another update for people about my razor/blades.

so, i finally went through the last of my 10 free blades this past weekend.

the 10 free blades were made in egypt by a company called "shark"...heres what they look like:

517R2QdsXHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

anyways, when i had about 4 blades left, i placed an order for razor blades called "feather" which are made in Japan....from all the research i did online, i found out that the 2 best blades to buy that gave you a nice close shave are feather and merkur razor blades...and a lot of people were saying that the japanese feather blades were a little bit better than the german merkur blades....so i got about a years supply of feather blades for pretty cheap online (about 50cents per blade), and used it for the first time this morning..here is what the feather blades look like:

attachment.php?attachmentid=4184&stc=1&d=1168137661

result: an even better shave than the shark!...super close shave, and i actually didnt have any nicks...my face is now smooth as fuck..no stubble at all.

so if any of you guys are thinking about getting a safety razor (or already have one), try out the feather blades...these blades are the shit.

by the way, im glad this thread got made, because it put me up on a lot of things, including safety razors, and i dont think im ever going back to multiblade cartridges or electric shavers.

i used electric razors for a while (mostly during my high school days). i found it convenient, but also a bit inconvenient as well.

you could get a pretty close shave, but i found myself going over the same spot over and over again to get a really good shave....and the cost of buying a good brand electric shaver (like braun) seemed too expensive to me.

the disposable blades (disposable cartridges) were what i used last before i switched over to the safety razor, and i got a really good shave with those, but for about $26 for a 15 pack was not worth it....thats $1.73 per cartridge, which would last me one week...now i pay about 50cents per blade for one week, and i get a shave thats just as good.

Cali: Did you get them from Amazon? I've been looking for a good deal on them, and $45 for 100 blades is the best I can find.

yup, thats exactly where i got them.

and $45 for 100 is the best deal you can get...but i was reluctant to drop $45 on a blade i had never tried before, so i just got the 50pack deal for $25 from amazon.

if you buy 50 or 100, they throw in the free shipping, so its worth it.

i figure i have 50 blades and i use one blade per week (you can get about 4 or 5 good shaves before the razor goes a little bit dull)...so since theres 52 weeks in the year, the 50 pack will last me through 2011.