Cheap picture framing

Hayabusa

been thinking about this alot lately. i had a few drawings i wanted to frame BUT the frames out there were not very sexy NOR were they affordable! i think a good frame really completes a picture and a bad one ruins it... im not very familiar with this aspect of art so im curious...

1) whats a good way to get art framed and wall ready without breaking bank?

2) whats the secret to finding interesting and unique picture frames for do it yourself frame jobs (keeping #1 in mind)

thanks

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I go to a few swap meet/flea markets once in a while and just take my time and look around.

_IGP4921.JPG

I have come up on a 30"x40" huge wooden frame for $30, two 11"x14" frames for $1.50 ea, an 18"x24" for $10 etc. .... Take them home sand them down a bit and repaint with rusto gloss black.

Other found objects to paint on are there for the picking as well.

Haggle !!!!!!!! its part of the fun !!!!

Its just a good way to spend an afternoon, and a cheap ass way to frame up your shit.

if you have a mitre saw and a router you can make your own frames out of pretty much any moulding or comparable wood products you can get your hands on. i like making my own just because anything goes. i also practice the going out to thrift shops/flea mkts idea. doesn't happen every day, but going repeatedly can pay off once in a while with good cheap stuff.

bojangles needs to get in here to help you

I'm only good for the expensive framing questions.

I've been lurking.

Actually though,

Here's a few pointers:

Most craft stores have a do it yourself framing section. There, you can buy things like full sheets of mat board, hand-held mat cutters, and archival materials, such as Acid-Free hinging tape to hold your art in place.

They also sell foamcore to use as a backing board. NEVER use cardboard as backing, as it is highly acidic.

Also, try and use conservation glass, also known as UV-resistant glass if you value your work. It makes a big difference in terms of longevity. Especially if you plan on showing your work.

Here's the names of a few companies my frame shop uses for distributors, I'm not sure if they're open to the public, but it wouldn't hurt to check. Their catalogs literally have everything to start a frame shop up from the ground up.

http://www.larsonjuhl.com/

http://www.lewintermoulding.com/

• 3 months later...

Ask a friend that is a finish carpenter or a cabinet maker if you can use their router table...and check out their router bit selection. Make sure you use these http://collinstool.com/base.php?page=collins_miter_clamps.htm

to secure your miters...and use yellow wood glue. Don't pay a shop. Use poplar if you are going to paint it...maybe oak, cherry or ash if you want a natural look. Use 2 coats of polyurethane for these.

You may find a friend of a friend that has a mat cutter as well.

• 4 months later...

we have won many repeat customers

Our store is committed to offer buyers WOW Gold EU at the lowest price and with best service. Having being dealing with this for quite a long time, we have won many repeat customers. Safe and fast delivery makes our online store famous to the worldwide buyers. What’s more, we are one of the largest companies in this field. Great Strength equals perfect service.just buy world of warcraft gold on our http://www.ready4game.com then the cheap wow gold will be sent to your character in a short while. We are glad to serve you to have a nice world of warcraft life. Just come and buy you desired world of warcraft gold.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

i've had this same question myself. the art that i do sell usually is framed and presented pretty well. the art that i don't sell is usually framed with some cheap frame. even if the art in the cheap frame is better imo, i rarely sell anything that isn't well presented.

the best advice i ever received on the subject of framing and it's importance of selling art is that if someone has to think about replacing the frame, it's going to weigh on their decision to buy the piece of art. it's like buying a car, you might like the car itself and it's features and shape but if the color isn't what you're looking for, you'll probably buy a different car.

i was recently contracted by a local gallery to display my art in a new restaurant that is opening up in my area. the owner of the gallery basically said to get cheap frames. well, since my dad does woodworking, i can make frames super cheaply and they'll look hella expensive.

antique shops are a great place to find old, ornate frames as well. sometimes people know the value of the frame, other times they don't. it can be hit or miss especially since a lot of kickass frames have an antique photo or piece of art in them already that you'll have to pay for if you want the frame.