More crazy shit outta Panama

MayorMeanBeans

I quoted this directly from the photo thread in Untitled, where ive posting a lot of photos ive been taking while im down in Panama. wild ass shit:

----------------------------------

so where i live was designated a 'UN world heritage site' about 5-10 years ago, causing a huge influx of funds, crazy real estate speculation, a desire to turn it into old san juan, puerto rico type place, and gentrification. there are still pockets of the slum it used to be, but the owners of the buildings have ceased upkeeping the place, as the land has way more value as a hotel or whatever than a slum tenement. this is bad for the residents because they are now living in crazy substandard conditions. a building about 100 feet away from me collapsed last night, and today a construction crew tore down the remaining pieces of the building still standing. a kid i've been photographing lived in there (you guys will recognize him from the photo thread). this is what it looked like before:

3778447290_b402c73564_o.jpg

the side of the building before it collapsed

3796192047_42a9f5b437_o.jpg

it was one of those old french-style buildings a la the old quarter of new orleans, with a mini court yard in the middle. except that they installed the only bathroom there, where the buildings 15 residents did their ones and twos.

3796192191_9a3d9657ac_o.jpg

its a 'zona roja' (red zone), where drugs are openly sold, police and ambulances don't go. i took this picture after the initial collapse, where the inside fell in, and the outside walls stayed up, this morning.

3797008970_b8db150654_o.jpg

then the govt construction crews came to tear it all down, as clearly its not a safe structure.

3796192325_a063d3770f_o.jpg

3797008644_2f8782579b_o.jpg

this is the dude who i know who lives there. he is unemployed, gets by by doing dumb shit that is best kept unwritten. he went up to the police asking for help in relocating his family (he has a daughter and a mom who he supports), and threatened to go robbing tourists if they didn't help him. the cops just put extra cops on the beat, one of whom is following him around.

3797009096_c0914ab9cf_o.jpg

this is what the building looks like now. i'm sure the landlord is absolutely thrilled, across the way a new hotel is being built, that land is probably worth millions.

• Like 3

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
KILL FOR PL.. what?

You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

i assume it used to say, or meant to say, 'kill for play'. theres been 2 shootouts there in the past week. now that that house is gone, i expect theres going to be many more, as there are a lot of customers with no place to go

Old San Juan rules though.

oh for sure. where i'm at is like that little string of houses down those steps near the fort. in other parts of this peninsula, you got the characteristic jewelry stores, 30 dollar entres etc. and all that. because of the gentrification tho, you don't really have the middle areas, the little alleyways with cutty ass bars and pool halls etc. its either super hood or super posh, and will literally change in a block

Is this what you call favela? Please tell me about it.

nah those are in brazil. i've seen bus 164, city of god and other stuff, which definitely hypes up the hopelessness of the favelas. these places are for sure super hood, but i wouldn't say dudes are hopeless. but they definitely know how to get theirs you know