SHIN SPLINTS

KILZ FILLZ

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

walk 5 or 6 steps on your heels then transition to 5 to 6 steps on your toes, i do this for a minute or two before running. stretching is prob your best bet.

i dont know if glucosamine will help any because shin splints are caused by tears in your fibular flexor/tensor muscles in the front of your leg, and glucosamine is generally associated with joint problems.

this sux. This is some things I had to do. firstly, loose laces helps blood flow faster in your lower legs. 2nd if youre getting them from doing something you do often like running and you know your gonna be running tomoro again, you can wear 2 pairs of socks to help cushin more. 3rd if you know your gonna ge tthem doing something, you can pop 2 advils ahead of time which reduces swelling and will make a world of difference, trust me on this.

Basicaly a shin splint means your calf muscle is overpowering the thin muscle on your shin, you have to either avaoid whatever particular activity thats overusing the back of your leg, or do certain excercise that can strengthen the front muscle. my doc told me to try to pic up a towel with my toes while I watched tv, but that didnt do shit.

worst thing you can do is try to just ignore it, you can rip the muscle OFF of your shin, and thats not whats poppin in the streets these days. Trust me I watch 106 and park every day on B.E.T.

Good luck my grasshopper.

some more things.. i dunno if you got what i said about loose laces, DO NOT wear choked laces. let the blood flowwwwww. and also if your running and you know youll be running, eat a banana 30 min. before hand for the calcium boost.

p.s. glucosamine wont do shit, thats for bone strength. you have a muscle imbalance.

• Like 1

Check your shoes, are they the right kind for your feet? Allso look at the form you are running. I have been running for years and I have seen it all. Most lower body injuries especially shin splints are from improper running form. Right now all you can do is just rest, ice and try not to aggrivate the injury.

Hope you get better.

Get these shoes:

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

I'm not even kidding. Yes, they're fucking stupid looking and make me wanna punch myself in the feet every time I wear them, but they're so fucking rad I am somehow able to get past that. Hands down most comfortable shoes I've ever worn, they shift your entire running/walking posture to where it's naturally supposed to be (ie: barefoot). I wouldn't be surprised if your shin splints disappeared... it seems to be the case for a lot of people.

I'm probably gonna get shit for this, cause these are far sillier than crocs, but I don't give a fuck, these shoes rule.

Some science to back this shit up.

GOT SHIN SPLINTS ALL THE TIME WHEN I WAS HEAVILY INTO PLAYING SOCCER.

I WAS TOLD IT WAS THE MUSCLE TEARING AWAY FROM THE BONE.

DON'T KNOW IF I BELEIVE THAT, BUT IT SURE AS HELL FELT LIKE IT!!!!

-LAY BACK

-HOLD LEG IN AIR

-MASSAGE WITH SOME TYPE OF MENTHALATUM WHILE MOVING FOOT

IN EXTREME BACK AND FORTH MOTION

PEACE-

this sux. This is some things I had to do. firstly, loose laces helps blood flow faster in your lower legs. 2nd if youre getting them from doing something you do often like running and you know your gonna be running tomoro again, you can wear 2 pairs of socks to help cushin more. 3rd if you know your gonna ge tthem doing something, you can pop 2 advils ahead of time which reduces swelling and will make a world of difference, trust me on this.

Basicaly a shin splint means your calf muscle is overpowering the thin muscle on your shin, you have to either avaoid whatever particular activity thats overusing the back of your leg, or do certain excercise that can strengthen the front muscle. my doc told me to try to pic up a towel with my toes while I watched tv, but that didnt do shit.

worst thing you can do is try to just ignore it, you can rip the muscle OFF of your shin, and thats not whats poppin in the streets these days. Trust me I watch 106 and park every day on B.E.T.

Good luck my grasshopper.

you people don't listen. Trust me, ive gotten them and over come them. Motrin dont work like advil. shin splints are NOT ripping off the bone, thats if you KEEP ignoring it. Ice works alittle after the damage is done. being barefoot or even wearing some fluerescent blue ninja sneakers dont change the fact that the muscle on your calf is stronger then the front of your shin and whatever activity youre doing is putting too much pressure on your shins. you either have to re evaluate whatever method youre doing thats causing it, or do muscle training to compensate the imbalance.

• Like 1

being barefoot or even wearing some fluerescent blue ninja sneakers dont change the fact that the muscle on your calf is stronger then the front of your shin and whatever activity youre doing is putting too much pressure on your shins.

Yes it does, because changing your footwear (or lack thereof) more accurately balances the load between your calves and shin muscles to where it's naturally supposed to be, and therefore reduces pressure to your shins.

From wikipedia:

the purpose of the muscles of the anterior shin (tibialis anterior) is to dorsiflex the foot (bend the foot upwards at the ankle). Other muscles here include the extensor digitorum longus muscle and the extensor hallucis longus, which move the toes, 2-5 and the big toe respectively, upwards. It may not be obvious why a muscle which raises the toe can be stressed or injured by running, given that it is not responsible for propulsion. The reason is that some runners overstride, and land heavily on the heel with each footstrike (thus, shin splints are a common ailment in military boot camp[4], where trainees march extensively by extending the leg forward and forcefully striking the boot heel on the ground). When this happens, the forefoot rapidly slaps down to the ground. Effectively, the foot, which is dorsiflexed prior to making contact with the ground, is forcefully plantarflexed. This forceful plantar flexion of the foot causes a corresponding rapid stretch in the attached muscles. A reflex in the muscles responds, causing a powerful contraction. It is this eccentric contraction which leads to muscle soreness and possible injury to the muscle, tendon or connective tissue.[citation needed]

It is also believed by NATA athletic trainers that a contributing cause of shin muscle pain in some cases is the relative weakness of the muscles on the anterior of the lower leg compared to those in the calf. Exercises designed to strengthen the muscles of the shin are prescribed to even out the muscle imbalance. Over time, usually at least 10 days, the pain in the shins is slowly alleviated as the muscle imbalance is corrected. The shin pain is attributed to a forced extension of the muscle, in this case by the opposing calf muscles which "overpower" the shin muscles.

When you switch to barefoot/ninja shoes, the way you land on each step radically changes, so you're landing on the ball of your foot instead of smashing down on the heel (see above, 1st paragraph). This cuts down on the kind of pressure that creates shin splints in the first place. So yeah, I would say footwear is key, as is, of course, the muscle training you mention.

It's caused when you've stressed your leg beyond it's limits.

Your best bet is to just take it easy on your legs for the next 2 weeks or so.

My gf got this when we had track season and she was out for 1 and a half weeks.

Massaging it helps relieve the stress within the muscle so try that.

Try to take an elevator.

stretch, before and after.

lots of good stuff here:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml

also this shit is good:

http://www.tigerbalm.com/

YES - Stretch. There are specific stretches to help avoid shin splints - use google - I can't recall what it is called but I know how to do it. Also, when I first started trying to run outside I had to ice my shins after every run - over time they went away and I never have to do that anymore.

the only real way to avoid shin splints is conditioning. if you are out of shape and havnt done any running since highschool gym class......its gonna happen. stretching is key...however..the "heel-toe" walk off helps get rid of them. you pretty much just have to walk them off....when you got them.

largesbz.jpg

"Whether ChiRunning in colder temperatures or crossing a stream with your kayak, the new FiveFingers Flow provides comfortable barefoot protection. A 1.2mm Neoprene lining and 2mm EVA footbed provide the thermal insulation and protection. And our new IdroGrip performance rubber (available only in black) is razor-siped for added slip resistance over a variety of surfaces.

FLOW IS BEST FOR: Cold Weather Running, Light Trekking, Climbing, Canyoneering, Sailing, Boating, Kayaking, Canoeing, Surfing, Flats Fishing"

are you sure about these El Mammero

do you have to wear these as well?

41ynqxtk7lsl500aa280.jpg