Scams Scams and more Scams

acer910

Okay, so while I was killing time in the library I was flipping through a Popular Mechanics issue (the latest one) and came across an article about credit card info theft.

the method they described was a credit card magnetic strip reading thingy, a battery, a camera phone camera and some other doohickies rigged together and camouflaged to appear as part of the machine.

they proceeded to make it sound extremely fucking easy to make extreme amounts of cash by detailing several cases in depth. One such case of 4 people in NYC who wired 2million dollars to eastern europe in 4 months using this scam.

and conveniently they told you how to get started (sorta). They said you needed a powersource (OTC lithium button cell battery) a camera (camera phone from pawnshop) and a magnetic strip reader (ebay) and that it costs about $300 to get started.

what i want to know is whats the catch?

couldnt someone hypothetically swipe someone camera phone, then hypothetically stop by CVS and shove a battery in your pocket and then go up the the register and grab the credit card reader and run?

that just sounds too easy.

and i know this will get locked, but i had to ask.

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i saw a story once where a store had a camera in the ceiling pointing down at the debit machine that didnt read cards, through the camera they would get the pin #'s, the clerk would then ask for the card then swipe it into a special reader, say the strip was bad then enter the card number manually.

they would then make a credit card with all the info and go to an atm with the pin number and withdraw lots o moneys

A problem ( or two ) arises with your supplies.

How exactly are you going to get the user's PIN number?

and

How are you going to get the card NUMBER?

I don't know the other materials so I'm not too clear about what does what. If they named whatever else you needed then, you should be set. Just gotta learn how to put that shit together.

It does seem awfully simple, The fraud charges make it seem amazingly

risky to attempt though. I've seen these before, they look exactly the same as the interface of any ATM/Bank thingies but raised on a platform like thing and under the platform all the shit that robs your ass is in there.

just hang out outside atms and watch them punch it in, act normal though. be cool. when they are done ask to see the card for you are a atm card cleaner and that you have to clean their card by puting it in your cell phone device, make up a bogus business card and then give back and say bye. lol scam complete you win money

now the issue of getting the pin and cc number is solved by clever placement of the camera...

and thats what you do, is you scan all of it and write it onto a blank card.

and that^ answers my question of whether or not i can just rip off a CVS card reader from the casheir....

The hard part about this scheme isn't the electronics, it's the banking part.

It takes a lot of work to just be able to set up an account that accepts legit credit card payments.

The best scam I've seen around here is the fake ATM set up,

Get a used, stolen, or busted ATM and reprogram it.

The vic swipes their card, enters pin, no cash available at this time or unsuspecting error message shows up.

Take the swipe info, make identical magnetic strip on card, go to legit ATM and use card you just made with pin they typed in.

It's a hell of a lot easier to get a used ATM than to set up all the banking shit IMO.

well i live in a tourist town, tons of rich fucks visiting.

and no, i thought the whole point was to just get the magnetic card info and the pictures sent to a computer. that way its the same thing as the fake ATM except you dont need a truck to haul it around

I think the people who actually do that scam place them in busy areas that actually need an ATM because there isn't one around to get the most swipes out of it.

Another thing that was popular here in New York was the card stuck scam.

They'd jam something in the slot they could pull out with a tool.

You roll through, put your card in and they watch you enter the pin on the sly.

The ATM cant eject you're card fully and you get frustrated and leave or go into the bank to complain.

They quickly pull out whatever was jamming it and then get the card with your pin.

How 'bout you guys just man up and strong arm someone?

I'm just saying.

In all honesty, your wanna-be McGuyver asses would probably have less chance of getting knocked the ol' fashioned way.

I'd only have faith in Casek to pull this one off without the Feds knocking.

Touche.

:)

and i heard if you get a bit of 35mm film and a credit card to use to measure off of and stuff you can crease it down the middle so the film extends past the card on both sides when folded down. then cut some barbs or whatever that allow the card to be pushed in but not pushed back out. then just find a way to stick it in the thing and there you go