Dear 12ounce, I need some informative help

UPS!

So basically I dont know how to word this any other way

Im looking for someone who has or has information about Train hopping

Like im talking about one side of the country to the next

Any advice,stories, or any helpful information anyone can give me?

Im In VA too, if thats more specific to my information request

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: Dear 12ounce, I need some informative help nigros

So basically I dont know how to word this any other way

Im looking for someone who has or has information about Train hopping

Like im talking about one side of the country to the next

Any advice,stories, or any helpful information anyone can give me?

Im In VA too, if thats more specific to my information request

http://www.12ozprophet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55285

There you go.

And I would recommend flying (or taking a bus if you're not into the whole brevity thing) unless you have a friend or two who has done it before and is willing to put up with your rookie ass all the way to the West Coast.

And out of the 130,000 or so people on 12 oz, there's maybe 30 or 40 who have spent any real time hopping trains and I'm not one of them. I rode a few trains but I never left the state. My impression was that it's boring, loud, and dangerous...you have to be prepared to get dirty as fuck, wait for hours (sometimes days) for the train you want, risk getting arrested/killed...it's basically a gigantic pain in the ass. But there's that 10% of the time that it's awesome. You do get to see a lot of the country, it's challenging and you are definitely getting one over on the system. If you've spent any time being homeless or backpacking you'll have some idea of what it's like but there's a whole other skill set to it.

And out of the 130,000 or so people on 12 oz, there's maybe 30 or 40 who have spent any real time hopping trains and I'm not one of them. I rode a few trains but I never left the state. My impression was that it's boring, loud, and dangerous...you have to be prepared to get dirty as fuck, wait for hours (sometimes days) for the train you want, risk getting arrested/killed...it's basically a gigantic pain in the ass. But there's that 10% of the time that it's awesome. You do get to see a lot of the country, it's challenging and you are definitely getting one over on the system. If you've spent any time being homeless or backpacking you'll have some idea of what it's like but there's a whole other skill set to it.

basically what he said...

ive spent plenty of times on trains.

its easy and its hard.

you either love it or hate it.

and thats it.

to me the 10% of train time more than makes up for the 90% waiting around part. but most people ive taken with me who have never gone before arent very down with that part.

getting from va to the other side of the country wouldnt be hard at all for someone who knows stuff. for someones whos clueless..shit. good luck with that.

in theory you could ride coast to coast from va in 2 or 3 trains depending on where in va you are at and how patient you are.

but things never work out that well.

and REALLY never work that well for people who havent hopped a train.

im not saying dont do it. im just saying be careful and be prepared for lots of disappointment and dont get sad if you get tickets along the way.

who knows maybe youre a natural!

hardyharhar...

^^

cosign

I have a few good friends who hop annually from coast to coast, I've been reading up alot on it because it's something I want to experience atleast once loving freights and all. If you're gonna actually go through with it I HIGHLY suggest finding a few old schoolers who actually know what they're doing, and you may want to do some research on what kind of cars are ridable and what kind are not, before you end up losing a limb or worse.

/endrant

• 2 months later...