Whats going on in the music scene lately?!?!

acer910

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well then thats what happens when you hang out with people that do.

Last show I went to I was covered in beer, cigarette smoke, and the smell of crust punks.

and i learned my lesson.

and thats what im used to, but it wasnt a TOTAL loss, atleast i got to fuck up a baptist (he was probably baptist) and now i know none of her guy friends that were at that show will hit on her

Weren't there some pretty big warning signs before you commited to going to the show? Did you see a flyer/talk to anyone, maybe find out what to expect?

Every time I hear about a show where I don't know any/most of the bands or I have to travel more than walking distance to get there I always quiz the person telling me about it as to what kind of music it is, what kind of crowd to expect, can I drink/catch tags/bang heroin/fart loudly at the venue...if I get vague answers I'll give it a pass on principle.

That being said, I have a question- how do those of you that go to house shows react when they charge at the door? Unless it's a benefit I will usually buy a CD or some stickers from the band...I mean, it's cool that they're hosting the show and all but I'd rather make sure the band gets the money directly.

I only go to a few different house venues, and i know for a fact they all give 100% of the money to the bands. It may go more to the band(s) that are from out of state or country, but thats understandable and i know local bands are going to be cool with that. If i ever found out a house venue was keeping money for themselves, i would stop supporting them. But the thing is, at the house venues i frequent, its usually $4-7 and almost always at least one band that had to drive a long ways to get there, so i'm happy to get them some money. Even if they're local, if i like the bands enough to come out, i'm more than happy to give them a few dollars to help them tour/record/print vinyl/whatever.

I still buy shirts and vinyl though to help support bands. Partially because i like having vinyl and shirts, but partially because its nice to actually give some money directly to a touring band i enjoy that is willing to venture out on the road, on out of state/country tours for weeks or months and run the risk of losing money in the process.

I fart loudly no matter what show it is....fuck em

Yeah, but...I go to acoustic shows once in a while, that generally doesn't go over too well when someone is in the middle of a quiet part of their song and your five taco lunch decides to go BROMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMP.

One warehouse show I went to wouldn't allow smoking OR ins and outs. Way to go, you just lost my five bucks!

That sounds like the most poorly planned show ever. What the fuck sort of crowd do they think they're going to draw where no one is going to want to smoke inside...then they tell the smokers that not only can they not smoke inside, but they also can't go outside to smoke and then come back in.

If a house/warehouse venue doesn't allow me to smoke and drink inside, thats always a clear sign that i'm not going to be a fan of it.

she lives half a block away from where we ate at. and we walked from the food to the show.

and i live 45 minutes away, and dont drive.

She should have took you back to the crib and fucked you for handling her biz.

If she stayed inside while you got the boot, she's a fucking dipshit that has no business even looking at you much less ever trying to talk to you again.

I only go to a few different house venues, and i know for a fact they all give 100% of the money to the bands. It may go more to the band(s) that are from out of state or country, but thats understandable and i know local bands are going to be cool with that. If i ever found out a house venue was keeping money for themselves, i would stop supporting them. But the thing is, at the house venues i frequent, its usually $4-7 and almost always at least one band that had to drive a long ways to get there, so i'm happy to get them some money. Even if they're local, if i like the bands enough to come out, i'm more than happy to give them a few dollars to help them tour/record/print vinyl/whatever.

I still buy shirts and vinyl though to help support bands. Partially because i like having vinyl and shirts, but partially because its nice to actually give some money directly to a touring band i enjoy that is willing to venture out on the road, on out of state/country tours for weeks or months and run the risk of losing money in the process.

I rarely pay for shows at clubs. My usual MO is to stand around till I see someone who can get me into the show for free and in exchange I'll stick around after the show and do security or clean up. That's why paying for house shows seems extra weird, especially if I spend time at the house when there's no bands there. And since I always try to buy merch from touring bands, charging on top of that seems like the vig and I'm not about to grill some girl I don't know from Adam for five minutes about it when there's people behind me.

I just read that and I realized that I probably sound like some arrogant scenester with a huge sense of entitlement to boot, but I've been supporting the scene here for about a million years and I hardly go out...it's not like I'm trying to get in for free every single weekend.

That sounds like the most poorly planned show ever. What the fuck sort of crowd do they think they're going to draw where no one is going to want to smoke inside...then they tell the smokers that not only can they not smoke inside, but they also can't go outside to smoke and then come back in.

If a house/warehouse venue doesn't allow me to smoke and drink inside, thats always a clear sign that i'm not going to be a fan of it.

Haha, it WAS a really weird deal. The people that lived at the warehouse were techno-weenie Burning Man types who had taken over the warehouse from some punks. Apparently the original location for the show fell through and someone knew someone who lived there, and the show went off there...the thing was that drinking was okay, smoking weed was okay, wearing patchouli and sandals was A-OK...but no cigarettes. I think they were sketchy about the neighbors calling the cops if they saw traffic in and out of the spot, but they could have worked something out.

Then again, they had a point. When I went to a Lightning Bolt show at the same location three years earlier there had to be at least 700 people streaming in and out of the place till 4 am...the neighborhood got grilled super hard and the punks almost got evicted for the graffiti and all the noise complaints. But fuck, it was LIGHTNING BOLT...what did they expect?

truth be told, most people that listen to death metal are pretty nerdy, albeit it long haired yab-dabs. I'm no different really, but at least the shows I go to aren't packed with scene fags or kids fighting invisible ninjas...

remember that scene from the first resident evil where they are on the pipes and he lights a flare and you see the zombies milling about below them? thats what the mosh pit looks like at the shows I go to.

The moshpits at metal shows are just a bunch of metal heads jumping around punching eachother.

I love it how hardcore dudes litterally steal the pit from metal heads at Slayer shows.

Long haired faggots try that jumping around punching niggas bullshit and get swarmed on and beat the fuck up.

Then all the other longhaired metal fags steer clear of the pit.

At a fucking Slayer show LOL!

Or at least that's how it was in the 90's.

I can't imagine any of these tightpants Twinkie motherfuckers evicting anybody from anything.